Stupid Question But....

Most fruit seeds and kernals contain either amygdalyn or prunasin, both compounds break down to release HCN. HCN is toxic to all cells which is why plants store it a harmless form ie bonded to a sugar moiety. Usually the compound does not degrade unless it is in contact with an enzyme stored on the outside of the cell wall. Unless the seed or kernal is is chewed or crushed sufficiently to breakdown the cell walls the HCN will not be released. Additionally there is a threshold below which your/your dogs body will detoxify the HCN. I don't know what this is for dogs but im sure that they would metabolize things differently to humans.

Personally, unless your dog has a habit of chewing and eating fruit seeds on a regular basis I wouldn't be too worried. Of course keep an eye for any signs of being sick and take him to the vet.

Hopefully that helps - yay finally something useful has come from my degree.

Most fruit seeds and kernals contain either amygdalyn or prunasin, both compounds break down to release HCN. HCN is toxic to all cells which is why plants store it a harmless form ie bonded to a sugar moiety. Usually the compound does not degrade unless it is in contact with an enzyme stored on the outside of the cell wall. Unless the seed or kernal is is chewed or crushed sufficiently to breakdown the cell walls the HCN will not be released. Additionally there is a threshold below which your/your dogs body will detoxify the HCN. I don't know what this is for dogs but im sure that they would metabolize things differently to humans.

Personally, unless your dog has a habit of chewing and eating fruit seeds on a regular basis I wouldn't be too worried. Of course keep an eye for any signs of being sick and take him to the vet.

Hopefully that helps - yay finally something useful has come from my degree.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mine eat the core and all, the seeds are only dangerous if you took the outer covering off them and fed them in large amounts. If you ingest an apple seed it's usually passed intact. My dogs have been eating apples including cores for years now with no ill effects. Dont worry.

Duke is 'self-serving'himself apples from mum's apple tree currently. Rubyblue -what about lillypilly berries? Duke is obsessed with eating those!

Hmm - dont know much about lilly pilly and can't find anything obvious in a quick search. All that I have found is that the fruit is a common bush food and apparently makes nice jam. I can't find anything that specifies cooking it first or any other treatment which is often necessary to destroy toxic compounds. From what I have found it seems to be perfectly safe for humans and frugivores to eat. For dogs.....well... there are a few fruits/seeds/blubs which humans can eat that are extremely toxic to dogs or cats.

Personally if they were my dogs I'd be dissuading them from eating it. I have a healthy respect for what plants are capable of and would rather it not be my animals that are the first in any anecdotal study on the species specific toxicity of lilly pilly.

I would definitely not be letting him eat any unripe fruit. The plant vigourously defends expensive parts (ie new growth or reproductive parts) this is why unripe fruit often tastes revolting. Once the seeds are fully developed then the plant attracts dispersal agents by making the fruit sugary and brightly coloured...the theory goes that animals that see in colour do so to be able to identify ripe fruit. How used do you feel now!!! :)

• 3 months later...

Duke is 'self-serving'himself apples from mum's apple tree currently. Rubyblue -what about lillypilly berries? Duke is obsessed with eating those!

Hmm - dont know much about lilly pilly and can't find anything obvious in a quick search. All that I have found is that the fruit is a common bush food and apparently makes nice jam. I can't find anything that specifies cooking it first or any other treatment which is often necessary to destroy toxic compounds. From what I have found it seems to be perfectly safe for humans and frugivores to eat. For dogs.....well... there are a few fruits/seeds/blubs which humans can eat that are extremely toxic to dogs or cats.

Personally if they were my dogs I'd be dissuading them from eating it. I have a healthy respect for what plants are capable of and would rather it not be my animals that are the first in any anecdotal study on the species specific toxicity of lilly pilly.

I would definitely not be letting him eat any unripe fruit. The plant vigourously defends expensive parts (ie new growth or reproductive parts) this is why unripe fruit often tastes revolting. Once the seeds are fully developed then the plant attracts dispersal agents by making the fruit sugary and brightly coloured...the theory goes that animals that see in colour do so to be able to identify ripe fruit. How used do you feel now!!! :)

we have a huge lily pilly tree