Kids Creche At Shows To Help Boost Entry Numbers

just1more

Hi all,

I'm new to the show scene and love the few shows that I have been able to attend. I have noticed that a few show organisers come on here trying to get more entries for their shows and it got me wondering...has anyone every tried or thought about providing a creche for competitors kids? :shrug:

Make them pay for it by the half hour or so, have a time limit on how long the kids could be in there so it doesn't get "abused" and only provide it if numbers are worth it. I know from personal experience that I would attend a lot more shows if I had someone to help me with my kids while I was in the ring. I know there are some people that would love the kids not to be there at all but if you want number at shows to go up wouldn't this be one idea that could be looked at? My husband works away so I can only do shows that fall on the weekends that he is home but if I had someone to watch my kids for the half hour or so while I was showing the dogs, I would attend many more shows as I just don't do it with them by myself as it's not fair on them, me or others around (and you can't crate kids :rofl: ).

Feel free to shoot this idea down but I know if it was provided I would support it. It's one way of possibly helping boost entry numbers? What do others think? :)

:thumbsup: What a great idea. I am relativley still new to showing, but i think it would be something to try.

I have 2 young kids and the few shows i take them too when the OH doesn't come too, it would provide alot of peace of mind too know that they were safe, and not causing any problems, whilst I was on the ring.

I agree competitors would need to pay for the service so that it wasn't abused. :)

I think it's a fantastic idea although trying to organise something like this I think would be pretty hard. I think it would probably work for the two main venues in Victoria, perhaps an individual business with a licence to run the service on show days?

I have a small person and I have yet to take her to a show unless I have an army of friends to help keep a eye on her while I'm in the ring as I know some people really dislike children and I can understand - those noisy, unattended, running around wildly type annoy me too but then so do dogs who bark non-stop and their owners don't tell them off!

As rebelsquest notes, there would be insurance/liability issues. And some show people are pretty litigious.

One thing i have seen work well, is activities for kids with prizes. It's not the same thing as child care but it at least gives the kids something to do and if they are busy doing that they are not busy getting into mischief. The ACT Junior Kennel Club did an awesome job with the kids at its December shows last year, with lots of fun things to do like making white christmas and colouring in. I don't underestimate the amount of volunteer work involved in putting that together tho', and many committees struggle to get people to do the basics of running a show.

From what I've seen, people with kids often "buddy up" and take turns watching each others kids.

As rebelsquest notes, there would be insurance/liability issues. And some show people are pretty litigious.

One thing i have seen work well, is activities for kids with prizes. It's not the same thing as child care but it at least gives the kids something to do and if they are busy doing that they are not busy getting into mischief. The ACT Junior Kennel Club did an awesome job with the kids at its December shows last year, with lots of fun things to do like making white christmas and colouring in. I don't underestimate the amount of volunteer work involved in putting that together tho', and many committees struggle to get people to do the basics of running a show.

From what I've seen, people with kids often "buddy up" and take turns watching each others kids.

The WA Western Classic did that this year, asked for toys donations,c olouring books etc. The set up an activity area on the grass above the rings infront of the office adn it was a huge success, they asked that adults rotated to ensure children were safe etc

<The WA Western Classic did that this year, asked for toys donations,c olouring books etc. The set up an activity area on the grass above the rings infront of the office adn it was a huge success, they asked that adults rotated to ensure children were safe etc>

What a great idea. I just didn't show when my kids were young cause it was too much hassle :(

<The WA Western Classic did that this year, asked for toys donations,c olouring books etc. The set up an activity area on the grass above the rings infront of the office adn it was a huge success, they asked that adults rotated to ensure children were safe etc>

What a great idea. I just didn't show when my kids were young cause it was too much hassle :(

This is my problem too and I'm just getting into it and really enjoying it all so far :)

I do understand the problem with insurance and all, I was just wondering what other thought. Some have had some good ideas though...just dreamin' I suppose :D ...can't wait til my 2 are old enough to able to be trusted to do the right thing by me and others :)

I think unfortunately there would be issues regarding insurance/liability if anything happened.

This would be the main issue that I could see. Any form of insurance would be expensive, and would probably require special facilities before anything was granted.

I think it's a fantastic idea although trying to organise something like this I think would be pretty hard. I think it would probably work for the two main venues in Victoria, perhaps an individual business with a licence to run the service on show days?

I have a small person and I have yet to take her to a show unless I have an army of friends to help keep a eye on her while I'm in the ring as I know some people really dislike children and I can understand - those noisy, unattended, running around wildly type annoy me too but then so do dogs who bark non-stop and their owners don't tell them off!

Your small person is a credit to you SW, she's so well behaved for her age!

It is hard i have three under 6 and this is a marvelous idea for them it worked very well to. I think they had a colouring in comp or soemthign as well.

And if it was a paid service any people involved would have to undertake working with children checks which is not free either.

It is a lovely idea though. You do meet up with other people with kids as you go to shows though, and like SSM said, buddying or sharing the watch is a boon.

My kids have unparalleled bad timing at shows, they ALWAYS need to go to the toilet at crucial times, like that start of breed / group / general specials judging. Even if they have just been... Sigh. But in saying that, they also learn and get better at going to shows. Mine like going to some shows, a full weekend is normally a big ask. But they like to see dog show friends, and hang out in their own tent space with toys or colouring in. But they have had a few years practice now and are getting older.

Maybe try and contact some of the creche's in the area to see if they would consider working on weekends?

I know some used to work weekends, not sure if they still do.

There are many within 5min of KC Park.

I think its a good idea BUT why impose another job on show Committees to organise it??

Why not have PARENTS organise a bit of collective child minding amongst themselves??

One extra gazebo for the kids, a bit of organising for activities and some volunteers from different groups and voila - you have it.

It could be sorted out in the show threads here. Only rule I'd have is that if you're not part of the child minding taskforce, your kids don't get to participate.

I think its a good idea BUT why impose another job on show Committees to organise it??

I never said it should be up to the committee - I suggested a sub-contractor/private operator to offer the service to first come first served at the bigger grounds on particular days!

I never said it should be up to the committee - I suggested a sub-contractor/private operator to offer the service to first come first served at the bigger grounds on particular days!

My response wasn't directed at you, or anyone in particular SW. :)

but how would a private operator even know such a service could be offered unless someone contacts them first? :)

Either yourself or another parent needs to suss out the ins and outs of such an idea and present it to the VCA and get their take on it all, then if you are given the ok, you would take it from there. Otherwise it does become just another job that is expected for a show committee to organise.

Personally I like Haredown Whippets suggestion.

My response wasn't directed at you, or anyone in particular SW. :)

Apologies!

It's not that hard to bring your kid/kids to a show, keep them under control, provide them with activities and supervise them. Thousands of parents have managed to show and have children at the same time.

How fantastic for those parents - not everyone has the luxury of showing with a support network who can help keep an eye on the children when they're in the ring.

Personally it's a logistical nighmare for me as I quiet often show by myself as my close and trusted friends are in other States so I just plan my shows at venues close to Grandparents who love to have our 3yr old for the weekend!