Choosing A Breed

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you considered a Rottweiler?

I'm not sure on the drooling, but everything else fits your bill.

Look intimidating to people, but most are big softies.

I used to be quite afraid by them, but OH loves them and on further reading they sound great.

In the wrong hands they could still be a handful, but compared to the LGDs you mentioned I think you'd have an easier time.

Trojka- sorry to confuse you, no i dont have livestock. Just one horse :) My parents have sheep, sort of a small hobby farm.

SparkeyTansy- I have considered such breeds, i guess i've just lent towards the larger ones. Although the ones you mentioned are still quite big. There's just too many nice breeds!

EDT: I have considered going for something 'smaller' such as a GSP, rottie or german shepard to start off with, then in a couple of years add a large/giant to the family.

Edited by Emma93

Hi everyone :) This is my first post here. I'm trying to choose the perfect breed of dog for myself and my husband. I thought some of you might have some advice/ideas for me.

Qualities we have come up with are,

relatively dry mouth

large or giant size

looks intimidating if in the yard or taken on a walk

good with kids (although this can come down to training)

somewhat rare

On my list I have so far are,

Tibetan Mastiff

Leonberger

Pyrenean Mountain Dog

If anyone had any other breed ideas or advice about the breeds I have listed, it would be much appreciated :)

A family Anatolian Shepherd may meet your requirements.

dragoncarfebruary20122b.jpg

Edited by lilli

Have you considered a Rottweiler?

I'm not sure on the drooling, but everything else fits your bill.

Look intimidating to people, but most are big softies.

I used to be quite afraid by them, but OH loves them and on further reading they sound great.

In the wrong hands they could still be a handful, but compared to the LGDs you mentioned I think you'd have an easier time.

x2 I thought Rottweiler as well.

I suppose they're not 'rare' but they're not too common (at least around here).

it's great to see that you have done your homework and still enquiring and taking advice :)

alot smaller but how about an Australian cattle Dog? It may suit your needs.

Although personally I love big boofers myself. Have a chat to Fifi about irish wolfhounds :)

Hmm for some reason I have come across Anatolian Shepherd a few times but had never had a good look at them. They look similar to a leonberger, a short haired version. To me anyway, to anyone who owns one they are probably nothing alike! Worth considering. Thanks :)

EDT: I didnt see that pic you added before lilli, gorgeous!

Edited by Emma93

Hmm for some reason I have come across Anatolian Shepherd a few times but had never had a good look at them. They look similar to a leonberger, a short haired version. To me anyway, to anyone who owns one they are probably nothing alike! Worth considering. Thanks :)

Rough coat Anatolians and Leonbergers look very similar.

It's not as romantic as the Landseer meets St.Bernard story of the Leonberger breeding program, but I would not be surprised if the lion dog of Turkey ...

was used to create the lion dog of Germany.

:)

kimbawinterjune2009drop.jpg

Edited by lilli

I have a large dog, not a giant, he's 70cm at the shoulder and 35kg. He's black. People stay away when we are on walks and you'd be nuts to break into the yard with him there (although he puts up a big scary front, he'd probably not actually do anything). Have you considered large breeds as well? Even a black labrador barking would put most people off :o

I have an Anatolian boy we rescued, they're a lot of dog :laugh: And yes, very stubborn. My Aussie and he are total opposites, she just wants to please whereas he couldn't really give a hoot! Every time we go on walks we get comments and a lot of people are quite frightened of him, all he wants to do is kiss them :o

One thing I must mention about them is the barking. Just be aware of it before you commit to one.

Having said all that, they are the biggest sooks around and love to spoon :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

I don't think it realy matters which breed you get, people around here are wary of my female golden retriever and won't walk past her,they do a wide half circle. In saying that Shelley isn't the normal golden retriever,she is protective over me specially at night. No one can get near Shelley if I'm not with her, She was almost stolen from me a few days after I got her at 14 weeks old. If I'm with her she will happy let people pat and cuddle her, but if I'm not with her she will bark and growl at them.

But the way this world is coming too I would profer my dogs to be like Shelley she loves people and is very friendly, she warns people but I believe she wouldn't do any harm. Now days to me its not worth having gaurd dogs cause they can be decleared dangerous or be put down.

Just adding one thing you might not have thought of. Giant breeds have a very short life span. My mum used to breed and show Irish wolfhounds the average lifespan is around 8 years or less. We did have one live to 12 but she was small for a wolfhound.

Growing up our dogs were part of our home and I learnt to walk as a todler by holding onto a wolfie. Mum has many photo's of me and my brother asleep ontop of a doozing wolfhounds side. They seem to know when to be gentle (just watch out for those wagging tails they are like whips :laugh: ).

They are lovely natured dogs and are protective of their people but not items (house hold) though their size usualy does scare most people away. I grew up with them and have a soft spot for them they are just big sookies.

Edited by Lyss

Finally!! A thread where I can suggest my breed.

What about an Akita?

EXCELLENT guard dogs - this comes naturally to them. They are very protective and very intimidating, when they need to be. But also very beautiful. I cannot go anywhere with Kyojin without being ambushed by people, even really old people and small kids love him.

Good with kids, they were often used as babysitters in Japan back in the old days.

No drooling.

Very intelligent and easy to train, though they can have stubborn moments where they won't necessarily want to do what you've asked of them, if they can't see a good reason to do it.

They love being with their families and are great house dogs. They're naturally very clean (groom themselves like cats) and don't have a doggy odour.

Honestly, I genuinely think they could suit your needs very well.

Consider whether the breed is likely to cope well with your horse as well by the sounds of it ...

Shar Peis are natural guard dogs. They will only bark if something is seriously concerning them generally, however some have a natural prey drive, some others, so it might not work in a rural type situation..another breed to consider. Some drool, some don't.

Just a thought: are you set on a long haired breed? I tend to find that people are less intimidated by fluffy dogs, even when they should be.

I've seen some very large Rhodesian Ridgebacks - these are pretty low on the drool factor.

Just adding one thing you might not have thought of. Giant breeds have a very short life span. My mum used to breed and show Irish wolfhounds the average lifespan is around 8 years or less. We did have one live to 12 but she was small for a wolfhound.

Growing up our dogs were part of our home and I learnt to walk as a todler by holding onto a wolfie. Mum has many photo's of me and my brother asleep ontop of a doozing wolfhounds side. They seem to know when to be gentle (just watch out for those wagging tails they are like whips :laugh: ).

They are lovely natured dogs and are protective of their people but not items (house hold) though their size usualy does scare most people away. I grew up with them and have a soft spot for them they are just big sookies.

Anatolians live into their teens.

My mother has a Central Asian (82kg, 33" at shoulder) that is 9yo.

He jogs 3-5km each day with my sister.

Edited by lilli

Also look at the Bouvier Des Flandres , A very interesting breed. Irish Wolfhounds are my favourite .

Agree on the Bouvier - would add the Briard to the list.

Question though - do you want a dog that LOOKS the business or one that is prepared to BE the business when it comes to protection. A dog with protective instincts comes with an added level of responsibility for the owners.