Do Dogs Have Nightmares

Just a straightforward question...my little boy was attacked a few years ago by a larger dog...the physical wounds have long healed, but occasionally, at night, he appears to be whimpering...and troubled. I usually reach over (yep, he's on our bed) and soothe him with a bit of stroking...OH is usually sleeping (snoring) through all this...I was just wondering if my boy is having nightmares..as we know them..or is it something more basic?

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

I've always wondered this too as all my dogs have done this. I also reach over and soothe them. At other times it seems like they are dreaming rather than having a nightmare. But are we allocating dogs a human experience or do they really do this when they sleep as well?

yes .

Dogs dream, and most owners will have seen the feet paddling, eye twitching involved..also heard the whimpers/muffled barks of a dog dream. hamlet tends show a lot of dream activity after a rabbit chase .... !

Nighmares, I will say yes.

I have seen dogs , after a very traumatic event, like escaping from a house fire , have screaming nightmares ......

what you are describing certainly sounds like dreams :)

I don't see why they wouldn't have nightmares. We know they dream, and recently I caught my dog wagging her tail in her sleep, like she was meeting someone new (her favourite thing). So if they can dream of good things why not bad things?

My dog certainly dreams, not sure about the nightmares though I guess it is possible. My girl constantly suckles in her sleep. She is 3.5yrs old and I swear she suckles like a little puppy :confused: :laugh: and she can get quite loud about it too!

Yes, I believe they do have nightmares.

A few nights after Charlie coming back from staying at the vets, he had a restless night where he was shaking in his sleep and his teeth chattering. Then woke up in a shock looking terrified and whimpering. It took him a few seconds to realise where he was and settled down. That was the only time I've seen him react like that.

i have a whole hearted YES to dogs having nightmares. after adopting my boy 4 years ago we have seen his 'nightmares' go from daily, terrified whimpering yelping growling running things where he'd wake up terrified, be head shy and afraid of men all over again (after gaining his trust from an abusive past) to gradually reducing to maybe once a month/ two months and only takes about 10 minutes to come around and realise nope still in safe happy house no reason to be scared.

it is heartbreaking to watch but good to know we have helped him.

I would have to say yes, in my case Ava when we first got her as a puppy she would wimper in her sleep and make guinea pig noises. She occasionally does it now as well, very cute to watch

I would add my vote to yes, dogs have nightmares.

All our dogs regularly dream (can be quite startling to have a german shepherd start "running" in his sleep when he's sleeping on the bed beside you), however one of our rescue pups woke up the first two nights literally screaming. After the first time it happened I raced into the pup's room because I thought he'd hurt himself, but couldn't find any problems. Ended up sleeping in his bed with him to calm him down and he woke up again screaming. Nothing hurt, so can only assume it was a nightmare. He doesn't do it anymore.