Decide, Neuter Or Not?

Hi Everyone,

I will be getting another puppy,a Cane corso.

The problems I'm facing is; dogs that are neutered will there physical apearance change? muscle loss etc.

Reduce Life Span?

Reason I'm getting the dog is for family pet and personal home protection.

Having browsed the net for a while,I havn't really found a straight forward answer.

I have been thinking to get him entire or neutered?.

Hi Everyone,

I will be getting another puppy,a Cane corso.

The problems I'm facing is; dogs that are neutered will there physical apearance change? muscle loss etc.

Reduce Life Span?

Reason I'm getting the dog is for family pet and personal home protection.

Having browsed the net for a while,I havn't really found a straight forward answer.

I have been thinking to get him entire or neutered?.

If you do not plan to breed him, and are not an ANKC registered breeder, then neuter him. There is alot of info out there that is confusing and contradictory, but you might just save his life in the long run. Desexing males has shown to reduce thier risk of prostate cancer, plus the behavioural benefits to you and your family are good as well. You don't know it yet, but you have opened a can of worms on this subject, and will probably get even more confused before the end of the thread. :thumbsup:

I answered in the other thread. I wouldn't at all.

Desexing males has shown to reduce thier risk of prostate cancer, plus the behavioural benefits to you and your family are good as well.

training controls behavior, not desexing. The OP wants a protective dog they're better off leaving him entire.

I answered in the other thread. I wouldn't at all.

Desexing males has shown to reduce thier risk of prostate cancer, plus the behavioural benefits to you and your family are good as well.

training controls behavior, not desexing. The OP wants a protective dog they're better off leaving him entire.

I agree training controls behaviour, not desexing. If the dog isn't being used for showing/breeding, then why keep it entire? I don't think an entire male is any better for protection than a neutered dog & considering he wants it as a family pet as well, I would definitely say neuter.

Nekhbet is the protective nature of the dog significantly different in an entire dog? With your training knowledge and skill I'm sure you would see both dogs trained specifically to protect (like guard dogs) as well as ones that have more of a protective instinct that would be good in the family home to ward off intruders. So I was just wondering whether the difference is great enough if a person is only wanting basic home protection? I only ask because I was a victim of a home invasion and at the time I had desexed mother and son SBT's who protected me and got three men out of the house. Their behaviour at the time was like nothing I have seen before or since. They identified danger, got rid of it then came right back to protect me. They did not bite them or run off after the men once they were out of the house. The same dogs also assisted me when I had a fall down my front stairs of another home (on acreage) and knocked myself unconcious. One stayed by my side on guard and the other ran to the property next door and got the neighbours to follow him back. Neither dog had any training in this kind of thing. They were both rescue dogs. I guess I thought protectiveness was something in the breed and personality of some dogs and didn't know there was a link to desexing. Do some dogs just connect with their owners in such a way that they are naturally protective reghardless of breed, training or being entire?

Desexing males has shown to reduce thier risk of prostate cancer

There are opposings studies that suggest the opposite is actually true and neutered dogs have a considerably higher rate of prostrate cancer than entire dogs.

OP - I have never owned a neutered dog and have never had issues with marking, humping or any other "thing" people blame on hormones.

Ultimately the choice is yours alone but whatever you decide please do NOT neuter him until he is fully grown which could be getting on for 12-18 months for a Cane Corso. Honestly your best bet would be to discuss this in full with the breeder, assuming they have experience in the breed.

I have always left my males entire, and I don't think it makes any real difference if the dog is trained properly from the start. However, an intact dog tends to have other intact males challenge it when out in public a little more often than desexed males do - so training to make sure it is non-reactive to this sort of stimulus is a good idea... especially when you own a larger breed of dog.

As for changes after desexing - my experience is that desexed males are often heavier set and a bit larger/taller than undesexed males - in larger breeds mainly.

Personally, if I was looking for a good all-rounder dog to both be a great family pet AND have protective instincts... I'd get a female every time... *grin*

T.

I think this is what my families old dog use to get - they had to be removed surgically as they would ulcerate and bleed and they wouldnt heal from that point. I will never own a male entire dog due to this happening to the family dog - they put him on female hormones but when the dosage was changed one grew right through his tail and was one of the many issues that saw him put down in the end. This was over a decade ago and I have no idea why desexing wasnt offered back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perianal_gland_tumor

I would say, if you aren't breeding, neuter. I had an entire male rotti, and having him sterilized at 8yo due to prostrate issues was horrible. Meanwhile his persona changed not one iota afterwards, I just wished I'd done it sooner.

In respect to growth and protectiveness, I now have a 2 yr old english mastiff x bullmastiff, had him neutered at 14 mths, he is a great size and build and is still displaying the guard behaviour specific to the breed beautifully.

Hope this helps :)

no one trains desexed protection dogs that I know of. They are left entire. In my experience hormones help mature the animal particularly in some instances, I have seen both dogs and bitches benefit from being left entire.

It comes down to a balance of probabilities. The OP has purchased a rather expensive dog for the purpose of guarding the home. Testosterone can contribute to behaviors such as guarding and territoriality, so why not leave the dog entire? If he turns out to be too testosterone fueled then get him the chop later. Conversely wait until he's at least 2 1/2 when the behaviors are set then give him the chop. Unless too high a hormone level is causing the problem, behaviors wont suddenly appear or disappear in an adult dog.

My point is not that testosterone is the only reason a dog will guard, genetics plays a large part - but it does help things along. I wont desex my dogs, my pup either and none of them are trouble makers (and not it's not because I'm a trainer)

I say let the OP decide, if the dogs nuts are the size of his head and he's becoming too testosterone fueled then desex him, apart from that leave him be

Quite frankly, a Cane Corso is going to be a very large and intimidating looking dog - no matter whether you desex it or not.

Apart from wanting a large and intimidating dog, what other traits are you looking for it to have?

T.