Wellness Dog Food

I guess if people could buy an australian made biscuit that suited their dogs they would

but not ever one can... I have tried a couple and was not impressed with them ( dogs coats etc )

neither were the dogs some wouldn't even eat it

I wouldn't right off all imported stuff look how many people fed say royal Canin and have for years

I am extremely worried when i read of any food recall be it for people or our precious animals

but can anyone say that an australian made item wouldn't ever be listed on a recall

of course this recall from Diamond food is a huge worry...and it might make me rethink what I feed

Frodo's mum, I've heard really good things about Earthborn Holistic which isn't made by Diamond. I'm thinking of giving it a try.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed black hawk mainly, but was given some earth born holistic by a rep to try (2 x 3kg bags! Awesome rep!) and my girl LOVES it, especially as the non coastal-catch fish one (name escapes me, ocean something) is ok for dallies, and she didn't like EP holistic. I love that she can have a fishy kibble. So now I mix BH and EBN holistic, just for some variety.

I used to feed BH & thought my 2 were doing well on it but Sonny is now grain intolerant, so we have to go grain free. They both look radiant on TOTW & they loved it but I am worried with all this recent recall stuff so its EB coastal catch atm & see how we go. If there condition changes then we will look for something new again.

Only one place in Australia stocks it.... ;)

Hi everyone, can you tell me the name of the store that does stock Wellness food in Australia? Would like to order some.

I have been feeding my dog Wellness CORE (higher protein line) for 3.5 year in US. It is great food even compared to other more natural foods. If you read the first 2 ingredients it is always some kind of meat, most other brands have 2nd ingredient as some kind of fluff. Also used their puppy formula till my dog was about 1.5 years old. Overall great food.

Thanks in advance!

Guest lavendergirl

Petbarn have the dry food on special at the moment as well as the biscuit treats and canned variety - looks good. They don't seem to have a fish based kibble though which is what I prefer.

Is the analysis provided on the product incorrect then? Just wondering...

No, but the ingredients list is what goes into the food prior to extrusion (unless, of course, something like beef tallow is sprayed on after extrusion - that goes on the ingredients list as well). The nutritional panel post extrusion isn't required, and some compounds have little to no nutritional value after going through the process.

Petbarn have the dry food on special at the moment as well as the biscuit treats and canned variety - looks good. They don't seem to have a fish based kibble though which is what I prefer.

I haven't seen the 'core' range but there is a fish based one. My dogs are eating it at the moment. It's called 'whitefish and sweet potato'White fish and sweet potato

I

I saw the Wellness range on a Petbarn email yesterday, and initially thought the Topper/Mixer cans looked great. They have 95% real meat - I liked the look of the lamb one as a back up for when we run out of lamb mince for my fussy youngest dog. But when I looked at the ingredients I found they had carrageenan in them, which is widely used but is increasingly being found to be linked to diseases like cancer and stomach ulcers. I am not sure how much of this you - or your pet - would need to eat, but it was enough for me to forget about trying the food.

I feed raw so wouldn't try the food anyway (if I was still feeding dry I would give it a go), but I did want to try the treats. I went into the store and asked for them, only to discover that they are HUGE, and completely useless as training treats, I wouldn't even use them for a big dog. I asked if they are soft or crumbly, but the kid didn't really know anything about them. If they're soft at least I could cut them up. Oh well.

Guest lavendergirl

I haven't seen the 'core' range but there is a fish based one. My dogs are eating it at the moment. It's called 'whitefish and sweet potato'White fish and sweet potato

I

Oh thanks - did not realize the "Complete Health" one was the fish based kibble. Have to have another look :)

Guest lavendergirl

I saw the Wellness range on a Petbarn email yesterday, and initially thought the Topper/Mixer cans looked great. They have 95% real meat - I liked the look of the lamb one as a back up for when we run out of lamb mince for my fussy youngest dog. But when I looked at the ingredients I found they had carrageenan in them, which is widely used but is increasingly being found to be linked to diseases like cancer and stomach ulcers. I am not sure how much of this you - or your pet - would need to eat, but it was enough for me to forget about trying the food.

Never heard of it - what is it exactly??

Do a bit of Googling :)

(quote)From the website NotMilk.com, an educational website from the Dairy Education Board, Executive Directory Robert Cohen has some very negative things to say about carrageenan. His article states “Carrageenan is a commonly used food additive that is extracted from red seaweed by using powerful alkali solvents. These solvents would remove the tissues and skin from your hands as readily as would any acid.” When addressing whether carrageenan is natural, this author states “Carrageenan is about as wholesome as momosodium glutamate (MSG), which is extracted from rice, and can equally be considered natural. Just because something comes from a natural source does not mean that it is safe. The small black dots in the eyes of potatoes contain substances that are instantly fatal if eaten. Got poison? You will if you eat the black dots on the “eyes” of potatoes.” (I must learn about those black dots…)(end of quote)

for the rest of the report Carrageenan in Pet Food

Edited by sheena

Only one place in Australia stocks it.... ;)

Hi everyone, can you tell me the name of the store that does stock Wellness food in Australia? Would like to order some.

Petbarn :)

I feed raw so wouldn't try the food anyway (if I was still feeding dry I would give it a go), but I did want to try the treats. I went into the store and asked for them, only to discover that they are HUGE, and completely useless as training treats, I wouldn't even use them for a big dog. I asked if they are soft or crumbly, but the kid didn't really know anything about them. If they're soft at least I could cut them up. Oh well.

They are biscuitlike, not soft, but they do crumble. Not much good for training treats in my eyes as it takes my puppy several seconds to chew through even a small piece, I use them as an occasional snack, or for filling Kongs/treat toys :)

Guest lavendergirl

(quote)From the website NotMilk.com, an educational website from the Dairy Education Board, Executive Directory Robert Cohen has some very negative things to say about carrageenan. His article states “Carrageenan is a commonly used food additive that is extracted from red seaweed by using powerful alkali solvents. These solvents would remove the tissues and skin from your hands as readily as would any acid.” When addressing whether carrageenan is natural, this author states “Carrageenan is about as wholesome as momosodium glutamate (MSG), which is extracted from rice, and can equally be considered natural. Just because something comes from a natural source does not mean that it is safe. The small black dots in the eyes of potatoes contain substances that are instantly fatal if eaten. Got poison? You will if you eat the black dots on the “eyes” of potatoes.” (I must learn about those black dots…)(end of quote)

Thanks - I already had. :) Seems to only be in the canned food not the treats or kibble.

Thanks - I already had. :) Seems to only be in the canned food not the treats or kibble.

It does appear only in the wet food. I emailed Wellness about it and got this response:

Carrageenan Gum:

Carrageenan is a natural carbohydrate that has been extracted from a variety of red seaweed and has been used as an emulsifying and stabilizing agent in the in the pet food industry for several decades now with a long standing history of safety. This is also true of this ingredient in human foods. Additionally, Carrageenan has been studied extensively by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Commission and was determined to be safe. Also, AAFCO has defined and approved use of this ingredient as a “special purpose product.”

• 2 months later...
Guest lavendergirl

Noticed in Petbarn that they have a "buy one get one free" special on the Wellness dry food if anyone is interested in trying it. The canned is on special also.