Collapsing Trachea - Very Bad

I have a little rescue boy called 'Raffi' here who came in on Wednesday, he's a Pomeranian and is around 14 years old. I understand that he was adopted from the pound at one stage and then returned because he was coughing. He hadn't coughed here to any great degree until yesterday. By late evening it was getting much worse and just before midnight his gums started going white. Poor little bloke was exhausted. I took him to the emergency vet and the vet said it was definitely a collapsing trachea, nothing they can do except prescribe Linctol syrup for his sore throat.

The syrup does nothing, Raffi coughed through most of the night, probably an hour was about the longest he went without coughing. He's been coughing on and off all day today, the longest break between bouts was about two hours but generally it's been around every 15 minutes to half hour. He's getting really bad again now. Today I washed all the dogs' bedding to get rid of any dust, dirt, dander, etc, mopped the floor with just hot water, dragged the air purifier out of the shed and got that going to remove any impurities in the air (it's the one recommended for asthma sufferers), he's on the heated pet bed, he's snuggled in a jumper and he's had his syrup. He's still coughing and gagging and getting worse and my heart is breaking for him.

I have 3 other senior dogs here with mild collapsing tracheas and they're no problem to manage. I can't seem to do anything for little Raffi. He's going to my regular vet tomorrow. I know there's no point going to the emergency vet again as they can't do anything different to what they did last night. It's tearing me up listening to him and he's getting so tired.

Does anyone have ANY advice, anything at all to help my little bloke through the night??

Edited by yellowgirl

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I'm not sure if dogs react like people but do you have a humidifier you can put in the room as well to keep the air moist?

Really sorry you're going through this with Raffi. If he were my dog, I'd be very seriously considering having him pts.

I'm afraid that was my thought too. Why put him through this, to what end? :( Poor little man, you would be doing him a kindness. Awful that you have to be the one to have to make the decision, I'm sorry.

If this were my boy, he'd not be having to make it through another night sorry.

What the emergency vet CAN do is ease his suffering tonight. No dog should have to struggle to breathe until tomorrow.

Give the poor little guy his wings.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I'm not sure if dogs react like people but do you have a humidifier you can put in the room as well to keep the air moist?

Thanks for the suggestion donatella. I'm not sure about a humidifier as moisture may make it harder for him to breath (I don't actually know though). The air purifier thingy I have here removes particles from the air as well as purifying. The main thing is to remove any minute debris that Raffi may breath in which will irritate the windpipe.

:cry: Poor little fellow that is so sad to watch :hug: to you for doing all you can for him.

+ 1 with the humidifier.

Very hard to watch Kadbury, my heart is in pieces :cry:

Really sorry you're going through this with Raffi. If he were my dog, I'd be very seriously considering having him pts.

I know I'll have a very tough time at the vet consult tomorrow Sir WJ. Quality of life is the bottom line for my rescue dogs. I have several here who have medical issues but none are in pain or lack a good quality of life. We do medications, supplements, chiropractic assistance, whatever is needed to make sure they are happy and comfortable. I'm very aware that this is a different scenario :( I mainly wanted some advice about keeping him as comfortable as possible until I can get more advice from my vet.

I'm afraid that was my thought too. Why put him through this, to what end? :( Poor little man, you would be doing him a kindness. Awful that you have to be the one to have to make the decision, I'm sorry.

If this were my boy, he'd not be having to make it through another night sorry.

What the emergency vet CAN do is ease his suffering tonight. No dog should have to struggle to breathe until tomorrow.

Give the poor little guy his wings.

You know, dogs with kennel cough, pancreatitis, IBD, heart conditions and all sorts of other illnesses and ailments go through a period of being of being sick, most times it's heartbreaking for the owner to feel so helpless and see their precious pet that way. Then we take them to the vet to see what we can do for them. The emergency vet didn't for one second indicate that Raffi should be put down, he encouraged me to see my own vet on Monday. That is what I'm going to do. I want Raffi to be as comfortable as possible until then, and then my vet and I will decide what's best for Raffi.

My Millie had this although not as bad as poor Raffi. Pred greatly helped her and gave her quality of life

Thanks cowanbree, the emergency vet mentioned that as one of the things to discuss with my vet on Monday.

You know, dogs with kennel cough, pancreatitis, IBD, heart conditions and all sorts of other illnesses and ailments go through a period of being of being sick, most times it's heartbreaking for the owner to feel so helpless and see their precious pet that way. Then we take them to the vet to see what we can do for them. The emergency vet didn't for one second indicate that Raffi should be put down, he encouraged me to see my own vet on Monday. That is what I'm going to do. I want Raffi to be as comfortable as possible until then, and then my vet and I will decide what's best for Raffi.

This dog doesn't have a disease. He has a collapsed trachea that's restricting his ability to breathe. The prospects of surgical intervention on a 14 year old are low. What will happen at the end of his period of being sick I expect is that he'll pass away. I take my pets to the vet at the first sign of illness or distress and if medication isn't working I take them back.

Your decision but I would never forgive myself if my dog died during the night from lack of air. What he needs to make him more comfortable is more oxygen.

I hope he makes it through but I don't expect you're going to hear anything very positive tomorrow.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I think it will be another long, tiring night for both of us, but I'm managing to settle him with some gentle pressure point massage between and on either side of his shoulder blades. If that's what it takes to comfort and settle him, that's what I'll be doing. Has anyone with a dog with tracheal issues done or tried this?

Edited by yellowgirl

I had to have my 14.5 year old rescue "heart dog" PTS as his Larricks had collapsed & he was slowly suffocating. A similar thing I think :shrug:

To this day I can still hear the terrible sound he used to make trying to get Just one breath :cry: It's a very, very cruel thing.

I did get "Red" operated on & he recovered really well until 6 months when he went down hill very quickly. He was suffering too much. Had to carry him to the toilet e.t.c No quality of life.

Saddest day of mine :( I gave him his wings cause he deserved to go with dignity. Such a sad thing & a horrible way to go. Such an awful thing to witness.

Sorry I am no help apart from sympathy. I totally understand how horrible it is to witness your dearest & best friend struggle to breathe. I know I will never forget it :(

Edited by BC Crazy

mums pomeranian had this as well as congestive heart failure. I ended up syringe feeding him to keep him alive and he kept collapsing unable to breathe. I let mum come to the decision as the dog was originally my brothers who died in a car accident a few years ago, but it was terrible to see.

He;s had a good run, let him go with dignity, not choking on his own trachea or having a heart attack.

This is so sad.

From what I understand of your post is that poor rafii has a condition whereby his windpipe just will not let the air in ..and it won't suddenly 'get better', by the sounds of it. :( :(

he is old, and his tissues are not going to stand up to the trauma .. he will already be suffering from lack of oxygen , and will be stressing and feeling panicky, not being able to breathe...unfair on a poor old dog.

:hug: for you ..and I hope raffi finds his rest quickly, in your loving arms , with no more fighting ...

:kissbetter:

I had to have my 14.5 year old rescue "heart dog" PTS as his Larricks had collaspsed & he was slowly suffercating. A similar thing I think. I did get "Red" opperated on but he was suffering too much. Saddest day of my life but I gave him his wings cause he deserved some dignity.

Such a sad thing & a horrible way to go. Such an aweful thing to witness. Sorry I am no help apart from sympathy. I totally understand how horrible it is to witness your dear friend struggle to breath. I know I will never forget it :(

I'm so sorry BC Crazy :heart:

mums pomeranian had this as well as congestive heart failure. I ended up syringe feeding him to keep him alive and he kept collapsing unable to breathe. I let mum come to the decision as the dog was originally my brothers who died in a car accident a few years ago, but it was terrible to see.

He;s had a good run, let him go with dignity, not choking on his own trachea or having a heart attack.

I'm really sorry you had to go through that Nekhbet, heartbreaking for everyone involved. This precious little boy will not be put through surgery, syringe feeding or anything else to keep him alive 'at all costs'. I'm getting him through the night as comfortably as possible before we see the vet tomorrow. Then we will decide what is best for him.

Incidently this little bloke has not actually 'had a good run', he is also not having a heart attack, but when and if he goes it will certainly be with dignity and respect. Thankfully he's slept through the last hour and I really think the massaging has helped with that.

This is so sad.

From what I understand of your post is that poor rafii has a condition whereby his windpipe just will not let the air in ..and it won't suddenly 'get better', by the sounds of it. :( :(

he is old, and his tissues are not going to stand up to the trauma .. he will already be suffering from lack of oxygen , and will be stressing and feeling panicky, not being able to breathe...unfair on a poor old dog.

:hug: for you ..and I hope raffi finds his rest quickly, in your loving arms , with no more fighting ...

:kissbetter:

I understand what his condition is Pers. He is old, he is rusty, he's not going to be magically healed. Whatever happens, you are right, he will be in my loving arms.

The massaging is helping, he's still sleeping quietly.

Thankfully he's slept through the last hour and I really think the massaging has helped with that.

You've done well . :hug:

Thanks Pers, I'm trying.

How heartbreaking. Poor little guy.

I hope he has a settled night and can see your et first thing tomorrow...

He's still sleeping Staffyluv, and yes, first thing tomorrow

Hi,

Just wanting to let you know that I am currently going through this with two of my 13 year old rescue pekingese right at this very moment. I may get flamed here but I want to say that please don't give up yet!!! Mine are proof that it can be managed (sadly not cured).

I had my oldest boy down at SASH for 5 days at xmas with a collapsed trachea & secondary pneumonia. Every test was run & I just want to say that I would not put him through anything that would make him suffer or cause him major distress. The pneumonia was managed due to antibiotics etc & they prescribed prednisone & a drug called Theophylline. They recommended Linctus cough suppressant when needed & told me to get a nebuliser & nebulise him once or twice a day for 10-15 mins with saline in the nebuliser. HE IS STILL WITH ME 6 MONTHS LATER & STABLE!!!

When he gets a bit stressed he does tend to pant a bit but we have managed this by keeping him out of stressful situations (like heat, meeting other dogs on outings etc). He rarely coughs now also. It is necessary to be very disciplined with the medications - ensuring none are missed & they are given at 12 hourly intervals.

My other 13yr old girl pekingese has been diagnosed with tracheal collapse also & is now on all the same regime. She is by far the worst with coughing, however I have found it is mainly when excited as well as worsens when she "panics"(for want of a better word). As soon as I pick her up & hold her upright, as well as massage just under her chin, she calms completely & the coughing ceases.

Please, please talk to your vet tomorrow about these medications & at least give them a go before making any final decisions. I saw a difference in days.

I will do what is right by my babies when the time comes, but I am grateful I didn't make a decision without trying the medications.

Please don't hesitate to message me if you need to talk.

Edited to add: I should have also said that the last 6 months have not been with dogs who really shouldn't be here but is just being kept going with medications! They are now back to the stage where we go on gentle (if not very slow) walks, they play, are eating very well & loving the extra cuddles & attention of course! They are back to basically just being normal old dogs!

Edited by esky