Homeless People In The City With Dogs

samoyedman

Like all big cities Sydney has its share of homeless people usually sitting on street corners asking for money.

I walked past one today who had two dogs tethered to him. I found this mildly distressing because the dogs didn't look healthy and needed a good feed and a wash. I would have happily given the guy some money for the dogs but by the looks of the guy I am not convinced he wouldn't spend it on booze (or worse).

In my opinion homeless people cannot look after dogs properly and council rangers should remove them. However, dogs can be very therepeutical for people in distress so I can understand why a homeless person has them.

Just wanted to share because i really felt for those mutts.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes a dog could be a homeless or otherwise distressed person's only source of comfort. Not that I like to see a dog kept badly, but I don't like to see people kept badly, either. I've been known to buy a homeless person an actual meal, rather than give cash - maybe find a local shelter which feeds the homeless and suggest to them that having some good quality kibble on hand might be a good idea? Or even donate some if they have regulars who have a dog?

eta: Steve, you beat me to it. Yay Pacers!

Edited by LappieHappy

Guest donatella

In these situations if you really want to help it's best to give dog food/items, that way you know it's going to the actual dogs

That's why Pacers gives them dog food and other things to help them look after their dogs and not money.

That's excellent -

I'm curious about how you find out about the need and deliver such assistance,

Does a concerned person let you know of a problem and act as a conduit for the help? Or has the network of Pacers groups been established?

From what I see here on DOL - you're doing some great work. Just that it appears (from this side of the screen) that Pacers=Steve and I wonder how one woman can spread so wide !

That's why Pacers gives them dog food and other things to help them look after their dogs and not money.

That's excellent -

I'm curious about how you find out about the need and deliver such assistance,

Does a concerned person let you know of a problem and act as a conduit for the help? Or has the network of Pacers groups been established?

From what I see here on DOL - you're doing some great work. Just that it appears (from this side of the screen) that Pacers=Steve and I wonder how one woman can spread so wide !

Pacers isnt just one woman - its just I'm the mug who sticks her neck out asking for help.We have a board which works tirelessly in the back ground and an army of wonderful people who do the most awesome things to help us deliver it all around.

We get references from all over the place - health services, counselling services, refuges, councils, vets, vet nurses, doctors and just private people who meet someone who needs a hand.

We have lists of people who have put their hand up and when we get a call for their area we give them a yell so they help with organising goods and deliveries, pet sitting, foster caring etc. Dog food can be a bit of a challenge to move around as its so heavy to post or ship etc so around the areas where we have a depot we distribute a fair amount that way but often simply order dog food, wormers etc to be delivered.If there is a high demand in one area - for example when the bush fires were on we set up shipping containers and had people moving the stuff around for us and in the floods we had a dozen pallets delivered to a central area.

In the Queensland floods we had a truck go in with animal first aid kits and human survival kits.

Ideally we want chartered club type groups all over the country so they know the risk factors, the possible strategies to prevent problems and know the local resources we can build on and use.

We sort of like to identify what put people where they are in the first place and help them to find ways to get through what they face and set up ways to help them prevent them being in the same place again.

Oh by the way we don't just help dog owners either its cats too and during the recent floods lots and lots of hay went all over the place and fencing help was on the list too to help horse owners.

So I only play a very small part in it all - its just that I'm the only one you see banging a drum on Dogz.

Edited by Steve

In these situations if you really want to help it's best to give dog food/items, that way you know it's going to the actual dogs

Sure, but it was in the concrete jungle of the CBD and I don't carry doggy items on me. I wasn't expecting to see this.

Edited by samoyedman

Sure, but it was in the concrete jungle of the CBD and I don't carry doggy items on me. I wasn't expecting to see this.

I know it shocks you when you first come face to face with it but nothing is ever simple and the whole situation needs to be looked at in much greater wider detail before we start calling for them to have their animals removed. Many of them are homeless BECAUSE of their animals as they cant find animal friendly cheap accommodation and they choose to live on the street rather than abandon them

There's a charity group in Brisbane that looks after the interests of homeless people. Called Footprints.

From time to time, they have a 'pet care' meeting in New Farm Park for homeless people. Along with RSPCA, they provide vet checks and treatments, care products, food, dog coats and other accessories. They make the point they don't encourage the homeless to have pets (because of the hard life) but understand how much their pets sustain them. So every support is provided to help them care for the pets.

One man living in his car, with a lovely boxer-like female dog, commented that she saved his sanity. He slept in the front seat in much less comfort than his dog....she slept stretched across the back.

The service extends to vulnerable people who live in special accommodation (but who can keep their pet). Like people with disabilities etc.

It's called Pawprints.

Here's the Courier-Mail story about the Pawprint pet care support day in New Farm ParkL

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/paw-fect-match-for-the-lonely-and-disabled/story-fn6ck45n-1226347196984

I think this model of care is well balanced for all concerned, including the pets.

Info on the charity group that works with RSPCA to provide Pawprints.

http://www.footprintsinc.org.au/index.html

Edited by mita

In my opinion homeless people cannot look after dogs properly and council rangers should remove them. However, dogs can be very therepeutical for people in distress so I can understand why a homeless person has them.

People with homes can't look after there dogs either so i don't think its far to generalize .

Being a dog groomer i see how the other half live & think many homeless folk do an amazing job with the limited resources they have

Someone once said (I can't remember who) that dogs belonging to homeless people can be the most happy, balanced dogs because they're essentially living how they were designed - constantly traveling with their 'leader', scavenging for food etc.

I am sure there are plenty of dogs living in warm homes, being fed regularly, who are mentally broken and constantly stressed due to being treated too much like childred.

I donated blankets to a group called The Footpath Library last year - could look into them and see if they take donations for street dogs too?

Being a dog groomer i see how the other half live & think many homeless folk do an amazing job with the limited resources they have

The man who started the Brisbane Pawprints Program said he came up with the idea because he'd seen how the homeless put their own needs aside to care for their pets.

From Courier-Mail article:

Footprints Homeless Outreach Program co-ordinator Jade Conan-Thompson came up with the idea of "Pawprints" after seeing clients sacrificing their own needs to look after their pets.

University of Queensland psychologist Judith Murray said having a pet had a lot of advantages for marginalised people.

"One of the strong things of human beings is to be needed," she said. "A lot of people don't feel like they're needed . . . and an animal provides that."

I am sure there are plenty of dogs living in warm homes, being fed regularly, who are mentally broken and constantly stressed due to being treated too much like children.

To go OT -

This is disconcerting. My dog has a warm home, gets fed regularly and yes in some ways treated like a child. Additionally I walk him twice a day. I certainly hope he isn't stressed! You've got me thinking about this now.

Like all big cities Sydney has its share of homeless people usually sitting on street corners asking for money.

I walked past one today who had two dogs tethered to him. I found this mildly distressing because the dogs didn't look healthy and needed a good feed and a wash. I would have happily given the guy some money for the dogs but by the looks of the guy I am not convinced he wouldn't spend it on booze (or worse).

I think your view is completely WRONG. My wife works with homeless people and these dogs are treated very well, there owners will go without food themselves to ensure the dogs eat and eat well. The dogs always look well and well fed. They are very well behaved, and seem happy and settled pups. I was in the CBD this morning and talked to a homeless gent with 2 dogs and they were in impeccable condition and were so well behaved, i went and got him $50 worth of dog treats for the dogs. And letting the rangers take them they will end up euthanized and thats a great outcome.

There are numerous photos on the internet of homeless people with their dogs and the dogs look so connected to their human I think they would go anywhere with them. Those connections are very important to marginalised people as well and the pet may not get the level of care we would give to them but as long as they are not malnourished, injured or in pain then I think we have to show some compassion and understanding.

Slightly OT but I was out at lunchtime and walked past a homeless man sitting on a small concrete edge with his pants pulled down slightly, doing a poo into a garden bed. Right next to the bus stop and outside the shops. He was quite delicate about it, bless him!

There are always a couple of guys near my work with dogs - one has 2 of them and the other just one. The dogs always look well looked after and you can see the bond. Probably in some ways a better life for a dog than the fate some get stuck in a suburbuan backyard with no stimulation/ much contact.

I think your view is completely WRONG. My wife works with homeless people and these dogs are treated very well, there owners will go without food themselves to ensure the dogs eat and eat well. The dogs always look well and well fed. They are very well behaved, and seem happy and settled pups. I was in the CBD this morning and talked to a homeless gent with 2 dogs and they were in impeccable condition and were so well behaved, i went and got him $50 worth of dog treats for the dogs. And letting the rangers take them they will end up euthanized and thats a great outcome.

Not the ones I saw Dave. Matted fur, splotches on underbelly and visible ribs. But maybe most are well looked after.

Having said that, I find it difficult to believe most homeless people can access premium foods for their pets as well as quality worm and flea treatments.

I think if the dog is unwell or is showing neglect that is threatening its health it should be removed and attended to, but counseling/aid should be offered to the homeless owner.

The last vet clinic where I was employed at had a homeless guy with an addiction to alcohol who chose to live on the streets because his brother refused to let the dog stay with him at the brothers residence. He loved the dog more than anyone. Often people would buy him a meal (KFC & like) and he would always offer the best portion to his dog. Those who knew this would always buy two meals. He used to bring the dog to the clinic he felt his dog was unwell or needed a good bath/flea rinse. This was provided free as he was a kindly man and the dog was his only asset. One day we were called as the owner had collapsed in a local park and after a short time the ambulance officers (who the dog initially didnt let near his master)were kind enough to contact us to have him boarded short term. When his master was back, the dog was returned. The dogs bond with this man was apparent to all who knew them. Some dogs live their lives in a yard they have never seen out of with people who rarely tend to them short or throwing food in a bowl between life episodes. The dog of a homeless person is the centre of the life of the owner. They reward that by being protection,company and warmth for their owner. If anything I think local councils should be made aware of such dogs and liasion with welfare groups to support the union.

I am sure there are plenty of dogs living in warm homes, being fed regularly, who are mentally broken and constantly stressed due to being treated too much like children.

To go OT -

This is disconcerting. My dog has a warm home, gets fed regularly and yes in some ways treated like a child. Additionally I walk him twice a day. I certainly hope he isn't stressed! You've got me thinking about this now.

I was more referring to extremes - dogs who are so fussed over that they have terrible anxieties 99% of the time.

Dogs where owners actually cannot leave the house cause the dog gets so stressed it destroys everything. Or ones who's owners cannot touch them without being bitten cause they're treated so much like top dogs they're on edge all the time struggling to be leaders. Or dogs who go mental because they're never walked and kept in backyards with no stimulation.

I don't imagine your dog is like that Sam :)