Bleeding Tail

On 3 occasions I have seen the tip of Gus's tail bloody, when the blood dries up and is cleaned off, he is left with a furless tip of the tail, with scaly skin and the fur does not grow back.

This morning I had let him inside to feed him and his tail was bloodier than I have ever seen it and he wags it like a crazy dog constantly so its very hard to look at and inspect... and blood was flying EVERYWHERE! he doesn’t seem to be phased by it, so do i let it go and just put it down to his nicked it on something or is it more serious than that? Like his biting his tail or something.... I don’t want to sound over paranoid but it doesn’t look right.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

My whippet had this a few weeks ago. Kept finding streaks of blood on her legs and all over the floor, after enthusiastic front door greetings! I applied some antiseptic powder a few times and eventually put a bandaid on the end of her tail, healed up pretty quickly after that :)

My whippet had this a few weeks ago. Kept finding streaks of blood on her legs and all over the floor, after enthusiastic front door greetings! I applied some antiseptic powder a few times and eventually put a bandaid on the end of her tail, healed up pretty quickly after that :)

It heals, but happens again a few weeks later, lol so I'm not sure if i should be concerned or not, so sick of taking him to the vet! ....

Georgia gets this occasionally from wagging her tail constantly in a confined area.

We went to the vets to get stitches out once and came home with a bandaged tail because she was so happy to visit the clinic she didn't stop wagging, the dill.

You can put a small amount of purple spray on it if you have some.

My friends whippet had a bleeding tail from over enthusiastic wagging and kept breaking it open. I told her to put some adhesive tape over it, fairly loosely over the actual injury and a little bit firmer on the wrap around to hold it on. I said just leave it on till it drops off of its own accord. The tail healed fine with no further problems. Look carefully here and you'll see how she taped it.

5882839198_eb36532fa0_b.jpg

a typical Lily moment by kirislin, on Flickr

LOLOLOLOL!!!! that would make sence he must whack it on the corner of bricks or something, his got a real kangaroo tail as well so strong!, I just hope his not chewing it himself... because that i presume would be an issue.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

I use wide elastoplast.

I cut a length from the roll that will be long enough to go around the tail without it being tight or even necessarily firm.

I also cut off one side of the sticky part, so what I'm left with is one half sticky and one half the yellow cotton. I place it so the yellow cotton part covers the damaged tip and extends just slightly past it. I press the sticky part to the tail and let this hold it in place - no need to wrap it firmly.

I find that stays on his tail for a reasonable number of days. Of course this would depend on whether Gus is getting it wet or not, and whether he is inclined to nibble at it. My boy tends to leave his alone.

My boy's tail tip only seems to break open when his "Ear Margin Vasculosis" condition is flaring, otherwise (amazingly, considering the whacks he subjects his tail to) it is ok.

Edited by Erny

I use wide elastoplast.

I cut a length from the roll that will be long enough to go around the tail without it being tight or even necessarily firm.

I also cut off one side of the sticky part, so what I'm left with is one half sticky and one half the yellow cotton. I place it so the yellow cotton part covers the damaged tip and extends just slightly past it. I press the sticky part to the tail and let this hold it in place - no need to wrap it firmly.

I find that stays on his tail for a reasonable number of days. Of course this would depend on whether Gus is getting it wet or not, and whether he is inclined to nibble at it. My boy tends to leave his alone.

My boy's tail tip only seems to break open when his "Ear Margin Vasculosis" condition is flaring, otherwise (amazingly, considering the whacks he subjects his tail to) it is ok.

Gus gets very over excited at everything, and that tail is going crazy rain, hail or shine.. it hurts so much as well when he whips your shins omg thats the worst... maybe as he gets older he will get over the sheer excitment of everything that moves.

Gus gets very over excited at everything, and that tail is going crazy rain, hail or shine.. it hurts so much as well when he whips your shins omg thats the worst... maybe as he gets older he will get over the sheer excitment of everything that moves.

Lol - know what you mean. I accidentally copped the end of my boy's tail on the back of my hand and was surprised it didn't blacken or break a bone. Ouch! (Much!) . Bruises to thighs is almost standard wear, these days, hahaha.

My Mum comes here and stays over some times. She's elderly (85yo). Mandela is great with her, quite staid - which is really unusual for him - but my biggest worry is his wagging tail connecting with her. THAT would seriously cause some damage :eek: .

Edited by Erny

Yep, when we go to show training there is an older lady there and when she is going over Gus you hear "ow ouch, gosh thats a strong tail" all the time hahah poor lady and bloody gus!!

I just cleaned it up and put some septicide on it, i did tape it up with some gauze that lasted a whole of 5 seconds, but its dried up now and the wound is superficial so hopefully it doesnt become infected

The greyhound trainers remedy is to treat the wound then tape a hollow hair roller to the end of the tail. It allows air in to dry up the wound and protects the tail while it heals. Tape it on by running the tape down the tail rather than around it so you don't cut off the circulation.

Tried this this morning.... it came off within a few minutes.. not sure if im taping it tight enough or i need a better quality tape.... but his also biting it off which doesnt help.

Its still flowing blood even through i examined the wound and it doesnt seem too deep at all, but he wags his tail so dam much its hard to tell!!....

Is it time for a vet or is there anything else I can try? what about corn flour?

get some wound guard spray from the vet and spray it on the tail/bandage. None of my dogs will touch it. Pure 100% lavender oil is also good, can be put directly on the wound but also on the bandage. Again none of my dogs will touch anything with lavender on it. won't even get on my bed if i have put a few drops on my pillow.

Unless the dog injures his tail so bad there is no need to see a vet but it does need to be protected from the banging against objects. Another way it to tie his tail to his collar so it can't be wagged very much at all. I've never tried it but some people have had good luck with it.

Agree with applying strips of sticky lengthwise down the tail, never around and around.

Another way it to tie his tail to his collar so it can't be wagged very much at all.

but this could not be done without learning the right way (is there a right way?) long term,or on a dog left alone - could it? the mind boggles :(

Another way it to tie his tail to his collar so it can't be wagged very much at all.

but this could not be done without learning the right way (is there a right way?) long term,or on a dog left alone - could it? the mind boggles :(

lol any thing like dog sedation?? seems to be the only way i can grab his tail!

my mates dog used to have the same thing its scary when any of your animals start bleeding but sometimes you just have to relax :)

what I cant stand is fly bites... the bites look so painful.. I have seen some dogs with dripping ears :(