Whippetwear Coat Review

spuddy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah ososwift, that's what ours look like too and our girls have never soiled their cost when toileting.... Only if they find something feral to roll in!

These jackets keep the neck, chest, tummy and bum all snuggy! Our male pup has one that is a smidge too big and never soils his either

Edited by Monet n Diva's Mum

I have spoken to the company and we've reached a bit of an impasse (albeit reasonable on both sides). I think next time I will follow mumtoshelley's advice and look at a weatherbetta.

Personally I don't think Weatherbettas are a good fit on Whippets at all. MTS's photo of Missy illustrates why - you have to do them up tight in the front to get a snug neck and chest fit on a slim whippet neck and then they lack length and depth to keep a whippet warm IMO. The fabric is quite stiff also. I'd not buy one for a Whippet and I'd certainly not leave one on a Whippet all day.

MTS I think Missy's reluctance to move would stem from how tightly the coat is done up - you're restricted her shoulder movement a fair bit. If you walked her in it, I think it would rub her coat off on the shoulders. However, if you loosen it off, my guess is the neck will gape. They really aren't cut for Whippet shape.

I buy a lot of coats from This Sighthound Coat Maker on Ebay in the UK and have never had a dud. Even with the exchange rate and postage they are good value.

I have the sherpa ones (with and without snood) the polar fleece ones with snood and the sherpa lined water proof one with cross straps. I'm a big fan of the crazy sheep pattern. :)

Whippets are a very distinct shape. Any coat not made to fit that shape is probably not going to be ideal for one.

Oh, and I also have Whippet wear ones - really like them but they are not cheap. They are also heavily reliant on you getting your dog's measurements exactly right. I find the UK Seller's coats fit really well provided you get the right length.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

http://www.bwdogcoats.com/sizes.html

This site is from the US, but I noticed they were really specific about where to place the belly band for boys vs girls. They also don't ask for a rear measurement though. They are also very specific about how to take measurements and have their own video posted of measuring a dog, I found it helpful to identify why my coats sometimes fit my dogs better.(I make my own coats)

Most sites I've seen also ask that if you are measuring a Lurcher as opposed to Whippet or Greyhound that you let them know, so they must alter the pattern for different breeds and builds. Whippetwear seem to be Whippet specific, whereas the UK and UK sites often mention othere Sighthound breeds and adapt for build.

If you need to get your coat altered, place it on the dog and use tailor's chalk to mark what changes you need. If you take a photo or video to explain what you need changed it also might help.

Interested to read all the comments. Whippetwear has been well recommended to me by people who have it. Was told it's not cheap, but is great quality & also she is very helpful. Heard there is a local assistance whippet who has a specially made one-off fluoro work jacket from Whippetwear.

My two have Weathabeeta raincoats, as does the old Staff boy. All wear size 50 cm. to get the length. Does the job, but I would not buy any other Weathabeeta for whippets as I agree material is a bit stiff compared with polyfleece, etc.

Mine also have double thickness Wolf's' Den jackets which are good as they fit well & zip up the back. Means Twig can't undress herself as she is fond of doing (with her teeth). No Velcro stops her. Still, she has learnt, finally, she's warmer with a jacket on in winter.

For knockabout home wear, I have fiddled with Kwiksew 3076, a pull on pattern. Made some with sleeves, some without. Lengthened the back to cover their bony little bums. Took some amending to get it cut right for Sam who is also inclined to wee down his leg when he's not aiming straight ahead at his jacket. Joys of boys ...

MTS I think Missy's reluctance to move would stem from how tightly the coat is done up - you're restricted her shoulder movement a fair bit. If you walked her in it, I think it would rub her coat off on the shoulders. However, if you loosen it off, my guess is the neck will gape. They really aren't cut for Whippet shape.

I buy a lot of coats from This Sighthound Coat Maker on Ebay in the UK and have never had a dud. Even with the exchange rate and postage they are good value.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Haredown. :)

I have one coat from the above mentioned on it's way. I've no doubt at all I'll be ordering more too. :o

She cant poo on it, when she poos it falls to the ground. She would have to have a very clever anus to shoot poo upwards when there is a tail in the way! :laugh:

Missy is very cute by the way, i love her colour.

I think Whippets need coats made specifically for Whippets since they have a very unique shape. They feel the cold terribly and need their neck, thighs and bottom covered.

Back to the original post - Whippet wear have lovely things, ive never ordered a coat (because ive either ordered mine from the USA or Oso has made mine! :D ) but i love their cocoon beds!

Looks like it's time to buy Missy a new coat mumtoshelley. This one doesn't cover her bum and thighs. Whilst it's better than nothing, I prefer the whole dog covered. :)

I don't think I want one that covers the bum,she wil end up pooing and probably peeing on it. Missy is mainly inside she is outside during the day if its sunny. The coat really only gets put on if its cold out when we go for walks or monday nights when we go to obedience, other then that Missy lays on our bed with a blanket on or infront of the heater.

I think next time I will follow mumtoshelley's advice and look at a weatherbetta.

Probably not the best advice. I have a weatherbeeta coat (extensively modified by me) which i only use on my boy in warmer months. They are a big square shape, like a horse blanket, and quite stiff, so don't fit the curves of whippets (see Mumtoshelley's pic). Besides not covering the rear end, there is no covering under the chest. I would think in the ACT your dog would need as much protection from the cold as he can get.

My guy has 2 whippetwear coats which keep him warm on camping trips, as well as day-to day. He has peed on them at times, but I would rather that than a cold whippet.

Good luck in sorting your coat issues. :)

Mine also have double thickness Wolf's' Den jackets which are good as they fit well & zip up the back. Means Twig can't undress herself as she is fond of doing (with her teeth). No Velcro stops her. Still, she has learnt, finally, she's warmer with a jacket on in winter.

I have some Wolf's Den ones too. The back zip style is great for keeping chests warm and keeping coats on those Whippets that love to undo velcro.

Oh and I also have some very nice ones Pav Lova made for the boys.

I think I might have a bit of an "issue" with collecting Whippet coats.... and collars.. :o

I have one coat from the above mentioned on it's way. I've no doubt at all I'll be ordering more too. :o

I love the death looks and the "over it" looks the Whippet modeling the coats has in the pics on her Ebay shop ads! :rofl:

I have one of these, I got it when my sewing machine died and I couldn't make a new coat for my boy- not quite Whippet coat, but it has a drawstring waist which fits better than most non whippet coats, and the pieces are adjustable with velcro. Has a chest/tummy warmer. Made by Pampet, google Pampet Anorak

post-33767-0-06822700-1338605943_thumb.jpg

post-33767-0-38516400-1338605952_thumb.jpg

post-33767-0-08306100-1338605969_thumb.jpg

I had a couple of these for my grey back in the UK - super coats :thumbsup: Very well made and the cross straps stopped the coat slipping when running.

I had a dense fleece and a waterproof one - she would wear both when the weather was really bad! She was always super snug and warm :)

P23-11-08_125701.jpg

Fridasnow3.jpg

Great, all interesting thoughts on coats for whippets! My boy is lucky that we moved from Canberra to Melbourne so doesn't have to battle the early frosts as well. The whippetwear coat definitely keeps him warm enough and he seems to like it. Not so much wriggling when I try I get him into it.

Maybe it's just a tradeoff - good coverage and warth for occasional pee on it.

Chillydogs in Canada does a long and lean range for whippets and Greys from memory.

Their coats are popular with Dane people. I hate the weatherbetta ones too - too stiff and noisy!!

I've just invested in a nice merino one from NZ - they tailor make if need be - d-fa dogs.

I've got a whippet jacket, t-shirt, and sleeping bag on the way from DGDogGear in the mail, wishing I'd paid a bit more for express post now as it's been over 2 weeks!

I'll get some pics and a review up when it arrives.

Hi all whippet enthusiats!

Now that the cold is coming on, I just wanted to give a quick review of a coat I recently bought for my Whippy. It's a whippetwear brand , splash model.

I have mixed feelings about it.

Good: These are locally sewn, made to measure waterproof coats andit is admittedly a beautifully made coat from very nice materials that seem worth the pumped up pricetag.

Not so good: I measured my dog very carefully and it doesn't fit all that well. You have to provide measurements of back length, waist and weight for ordering. Whippy fits in the coat provided based on these measurements, but it doesn't fit his back end (no measurement of hip width is needed for ordering). The result - a coat he is able to pee on when he cocks his leg :( This is going to be inconvenient and expensive to have altered by whippetwear and they couldn't reassure me it would help (although the were very friendly through all this even though they can't really help provide a nice fitting coat). I now have a lovely coat that will have to be pinned up/altered by me? my mum? a friend? or be resigned to a dog pee stained coat (yuck!).

Final thoughts: I could have bought a nice coat off the rack that fitted better for half the price. Whippetwear ones are lovely but if they don't fit well, they don't fit well. I'm not regretful but next time I will head to the nearest pet store for Whippy clothing.

Anyone else with thoughts?

could you post photos of your dog wearing the coat please? perhaps you can sell it, laundered of course! :laugh: you might recoup some of your money, what size is it?

I just read the copyright sign on the site and it says cannot be copied or linked to without permission. Does that mean you need to remove your link to the site?

Edited by Kirislin

I just read the copyright sign on the site and it says cannot be copied or linked to without permission. Does that mean you need to remove your link to the site?

Totally OT but..

Stuff like this makes me cringe.

Perhaps the site owners don't understand that policies like this support pants-on-head retarded court rulings like this.. http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/december2006/201206illegaltolink.htm

Anyways.. this person often has awesome coats for sale. I've bought some of them for my own hounds and then a few for the foster hounds, the cut is really generous (no naked hound bums) but the shape prevents them from getting soiled. She also does whippy coats \o/

Totally OT but..

Stuff like this makes me cringe.

Perhaps the site owners don't understand that policies like this support pants-on-head retarded court rulings like this.. http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/december2006/201206illegaltolink.htm

Anyways.. this person often has awesome coats for sale. I've bought some of them for my own hounds and then a few for the foster hounds, the cut is really generous (no naked hound bums) but the shape prevents them from getting soiled. She also does whippy coats \o/

that link took me to a custom embroidery page.