Help Please - My Rottie Girl Has Terminal Osteosarcoma

Noire

This is my first post on dogzonline and I wish it wasn't for such a sad reason. I'm hoping I can get some advice that will help make my girl's last few weeks more comfortable.

Sabina is nearly 11. Recently she became lame in her back leg and the vet diagnosed a ruptured cruciate ligament by manipulating the leg. She didn't do any x rays or any other diagnostic procedures. I always get a second opinion so I took her to another vet, who said he was concerned due to her age and breed, and he did a full set of x rays last thursday. When I went to pick her up he gave me the devastating news. She has a large primary osteosarcoma on the elbow of her front leg and the bone also has a fracture in it due to the cancer. Her cruciate problem was the result of another lesion on her back leg, and she also has nodules in her heart. He said it was inoperable and untreatable and to take her home until I felt ready to have her put to sleep.

She appears quite happy at the moment. Obviously she is limping due to her cruciate, but she gets around quite well, she is eating and drinking normally, she's always had a good apetite. She has been prescribed previcox once a day.

How do I know if she is in pain? i feel she must be with all that cancer, but she doesn't show it. i don't want to keep her alive if she is suffering, but I also don't want to put her to sleep if she is still happy and enjoying her life, which she appears to be. i don't know what to do for the best. This is so hard.

Is there anything else I can do for her now? Is the medication she is on enough, or should she be prescribed something else to help with pain relief?

My poor girl. :cry:

So sorry about your girl Noire - you must feel so sad :cry:

I'm sure others will reply with some sensible advice re the cancer and pain relief.

Some years ago now we had to put our 14 yr old german shepherd to sleep due to arthritis. We kept him going for 6 months with treatment until we knew it was time....I'm sure you will know with your girl when her quality of life is gone and it is time to let her go. :hug:

I am sorry to hear of your news... There is a lot to be said for diet and holistic treatment to make them comfortable and keep them as well as possible....

Send a pm to cavNrott, her girl Sophie had the same thing... She is a wealth of knowledge on osteosarcoma.

Wishing you and your girl all the best...

Noire, I am sorry I missed your post the other day. I hope you are still checking back in from time to time & I hope Sabina is comfortable & happy.

Our GSDx was diagnosed with osteosarcoma a couple of months ago. Like Staffyluv we are providing support through diet & nutritional / holistic supplements. We are lucky to have a holistic vet in Canberra whom we consulted a few weeks ago; there is so much information on the net it becomes overwhelming & confusing to pick the best path to travel without professional advice.

I do not know if you have access to a holistic vet in the Hunter, but I know Dr Barbara Fougere in Sydney comes with the highest recommendations from many DOLers if you are seeking this type of treatment. However, sometimes I wonder if we are following a holistic cancer treatment for Rogan..... or for ourselves? We can't say for sure if it is working, but it certainly helps to feel that we are being proactive in giving it a go. The cancer has already metastasised to his lungs, so like you, we can only play the waiting game & make the most of the time we have together, however short that maybe.

Whatever you decide to do, Noire, you have the well wishes & support of those of us on this message board. Cancer is ubiquitous but unique in each individual. Treatments work for some & not others. Sometimes it is already too late to take action if our dogs are particularly stoic or the cancer too insidious.

I hope you are coping OK & that you will pop back in..... even if it's only for some moral support. :hug:

Thank you to all who replied. If the cancer had been found earlier, then I would definitely have tried an holistic approach to treatment but it is too far gone now. Trifecta, best wishes to you and Rogan on your own battle with this awful disease. I hope his journey is a gentle one.

Yesterday when Sabina woke up she was unable to bear weight on her front leg, and I'm so worried she has fractured it further. She is now getting around having to use her rear leg with the ruptured cruciate, which must be so painful for her. As hard as this is for me, it is obviously much harder for her. I can't put her through this anymore.

I have booked Sabina in to be euthanised on Friday afternoon. I am a wreck. :cry:

Noire, I am so sorry to hear your news.

They say we just know what the right course of action is. If you feel it is time to give her her wings then it probably is..

I had to give my old man his wings in October last year. It I nothing short of the most heartbreaking decision I have ever made, but it was the right one...

We had an anesthetic first, which just made him go to sleep and we spent time alone with with him. Then our vet came back and we stayed with him, holding him... No matter how right it feels, we become so attached to our furry family members that it still hurts... I still don't know how long it all took, that afternoon is still a blur in my memory...

I wish you strength and courage and send lots of cyber hugs for you and your girl...

Noire, you will be in my thoughts on Friday, so sorry. I lost my girl the same way but she was only 8. Doesn't matter what age it is a terrible thing to have to go through.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing for her.

Edited by Mr R & NR

Thank you to everyone for your support and for thinking of us today.

Sabina was given her wings at 2.45pm. She went to sleep with me feeding her liver treats and telling her what a very good girl she was.

I went to feed my cat this evening and automatically picked up her dinner bowl as well. I catch myself looking for her and wondering why she isn't lying in the doorway and tripping everyone over when they try to pass. The house feels wrong, someone is missing. :cry:

When I'm in a better frame of mind I will put some pics of her on the rainbow bridge forum.

thanks again xx