Red Raw Butt

I am trying to find some help with my itchy staffy. He is constantly rubbing, chewing and scratching himself until he bleeds.Mainly at the top of his tail and his rump.

We haven't been to see a vet as it is an expensive trip. I am putting hemp seed oil into his raw food - chicken frames and minced up frames - have been washing him in Malaseb and have also tried Neem Oil soap which hasn't worked.

We don't use a flea product at the moment and I do not want him going onto steroids as I wish to solve this ourselves.

I would wash in a medicated shampoo weekly until it clears. Put some Neocort on the area a couple of times a day. Give him a Phenergan once or twice daily. Then if you can't prevent him from chewing put a cone on him until it heals.

We don't use a flea product at the moment

and that is quite possibly the reason your dog is chewing/scratching.

those fleas that usually use a dog as host LOVE that spot just above the tail... it is a spot where dogs can't usually reach with their hind foot to scratch at !

So - a couple of fleas..some irritation ..an attempt from your dog to make it better ...broken skin...then perhaps some minor pain, and infection /inflammation ...poor dog tries to ease the discomfort , but it just makes it worse :(

Unless you see a vet you will not know for sure what it is , unfortunately ..chewing etc can also be the dog trying to soothe some pain in joints etc , too.

I suggest you use a flea product that works ... wash the affected area(not the whole dog- he needs some oils in his coat/skin) in the malaseb , then, when dry, use some aloe vera gel to help soothe and heal it.

Unfortunately tho, if he has no protection against fleas ..all this is just band aid stuff.

Guest english.ivy

I am trying to find some help with my itchy staffy. He is constantly rubbing, chewing and scratching himself until he bleeds.Mainly at the top of his tail and his rump.

We haven't been to see a vet as it is an expensive trip. I am putting hemp seed oil into his raw food - chicken frames and minced up frames - have been washing him in Malaseb and have also tried Neem Oil soap which hasn't worked.

We don't use a flea product at the moment and I do not want him going onto steroids as I wish to solve this ourselves.

If your dog is chewing himself until he bleeds I wouldn't be asking online, take him to a vet and treat him correctly.

Why leave him to be distressed? Which he sounds like he is :(

Without seeing the dog there could be any number of causes. Fleas, Demodex, etc etc. And unles these are treated appropriately they won't go away. I understand you want to treat it yourself, but frankly it will be better for your dogs wellbeing and comfort if you get some advice and a proper diagnosis now. It will also be cheaper if you treat it now erather than leaving it until it is worse. Take your dog to the vet. Get a skin scraping done. It will tell you if there are mites present or bacteria/fungal infection etc. Knowing that you will be able to use the right treatment for the issue rather than just trying to treat the symptoms. Until you determine exactly what the issue is, treating the symptoms only is simply not going to work.

That is the prime site for flea bites. Your dog probably has a flea bite allergy. You need to take him to a vet and put him on a monthly flea preventative.

Poor dog must be very uncomfortable.

Sure vets are expensive but we take on the responsibility to provide vet care when we choose to take on ownership of an animal.

Bath him in Calendula Tea - kinder on the skin than shampoos, and good at soothing, healing and helping to avoid secondary skin infections.

This won't fix the problem - if the cause remains the problem will continue. But the Calendula can at least go towards offering your dog some degree of relief.

Take him to the vets as soon as you can afford to.

Take it from someone who had a staffy that was itchy & losing hair and thought they'd try and fix it first with flea products / elimination diet etc that didn't work, took him to the vet and he had demodex.

Skin issues are SO hard to diganose and treat without expert advise, you will spend more money trying to fix it yourself than if you had of just gone to the vet in the first place. And your dog will be comfier quicker :)

FLEAS, FLEAS, FLEAS.

Whenever I have anyone tell me that their dog doesn't have fleas but I can see it scratching away - guess what? It has fleas.

As a responsible owner, you need to use flea prevention and not let your dog get like this. It does annoy the crap out of me as someone who rescues dogs from the pound, they are ALWAYS covered in fleas and have suffered flea irritation for many years quite often.

Untreated, apart from the soreness and irritation, it leads to baldness and finally elephant textured skin. Yes, I've seen it all. The most common place for the flea irritation to start is the end of the back/tail.

There's no excuse for letting animals suffer with fleas for the sake of $5-10 per month. There are cheap websites where you can order online - it is much more expensive to buy in a vet or petshop but honestly, if you can't afford this you shouldn't have a dog.

People also tell me they don't like to use chemicals, I understand but who wants to see a dog like this and who wants a house, garden, car full of fleas?

I just met 4 rescue dogs thsi weekend, they came from a very cold place with frost now that it's winter and guess what? They all had FLEAS....

People also tell me they don't like to use chemicals, I understand but who wants to see a dog like this and who wants a house, garden, car full of fleas?

I agree, Dogmad. If I cannot bring my dog to improve from and of discomfort via natural methods, I would (albeit as judiciously as possible) use chemicals to stop the horrible and continuous agony.

I agree, Dogmad. If I cannot bring my dog to improve from and of discomfort via natural methods, I would (albeit as judiciously as possible) use chemicals to stop the horrible and continuous agony.

yes Erny, agony is right ... we can fix it as owners, so many things in life we can't fix but this ain't one of them. $5 per month on the 1st of every month, will do it.