How To Attract Foster Carers

I am on the Committee of rescue group Sydney Animal Second-Chance Inc. and we are endeavouring to attract more foster carers so that we can increase the numbers of dogs we rescue.

We have Clause 16D, Tax Deductability,Authority to Fundraise and a very enthusiastic,experienced and dedicated Committee.

We have been operating since 2009 and have rehomed close to 200 mainly dogs but a few cats and kittens. We offer great support for our carers and provide all that is needed for the care of the rescued pet, food,flea and worm control , bedding,collars and leads etc.

We have just run out of ideas of how to attract more carers to our Organisation.Although we have a few we would obviously want more so that we can expand our work.

We have flyers which we have distributed to vet clinics,noticeboards etc

Has any Doler any ideas of how we can more successfully spread our message?

We have a Facebook page and in the throes of setting up our web site, which hopefully will be up and running soon.

We are lucky enough to have a weekly spot in the St.George Leader newspaper for Pet of the Week.

We mainly operate in the St.George/Sutherland/Canterbury, Inner west,eastern suburbs areas, but other surounding areas would be okay.

We are on Petrescue as well, which is so helpful with our work.

Our email address is [email protected] and mobile phone number is 0404690014.

I would appreciate any input in this matter. :)

Edited by honeybun

Guest muttrus

Speaking as a foster carer and by my own personal experiences ----Be upfront and honest My first group did nothing but lie and I felt betrayed not to mention after raising money and support I felt like a right idiot.Wether you use it or not listen to any ideas they may have and make them feel they are a real part of what everyone is doing.

I think people second guess themselves and feel they don"t have anything to offer I don"t know how you work but people don"t want/need added costs so if there is no out of pocket for them make that well stated.

The other thing that really pee"d me off was I filled in a foster carers form downloaded printed sent off passed etc but then they said I live too far away ---No problem but it would have saved alot of my time had that been stated somewhere that they would only accept people in a certain area.

My one bad experience did leave me very vary ---Im sure Im not the only one so with that in mind cover all the bases.

I do more than is expected of me but I chose too as long as people feel they are really helping no matter how skilled and not judged by what how much or little they can do then they may put up their hand???

I hope this has helped :)

from my perspective , I am very wary of joining a group because of some of the ones I have seen , esp a certain one that grabs all and I know does not look after it's carers , stories relayed via others exp and sometimes reading posts .

I have now fostered a dog on my own and she is going to her new home on trial this week, she has been with me since march for learning manners , basic training and now I have found her the perfect home . The one thing I have learnt from that is that I need a pen area , which i can't afford, so I wont be doing it again for some time . I wont take a dog unless it has been quarantined and not many seem to do that . I am sure that if a rescue inspected my place they'd reject as my fences are not tall enough , but i have dog with cd title and could have more but I find obed boring , he has master and open agility titles and another dog I rescued myself and she has started agility this year . I offered a few groups to foster and never got even a bite . Sometimes it is not what you are doing, it may be what others have done .

Guest muttrus

Sometimes it is not what you are doing, it may be what others have done .

Good point I must admit I swore alot and vowed never to join another group after my experience BUT then I asked around and looked at what others were doing calmed down and realised I needed to find a group I not only could work with but were willing to work with me .I have been through alot as a foster acarer lost alot too so I guess people would worry .Plus taking unknown dogs is a biggie Ive even had cats here for sooooooo long due to cat flu .I believe time is a big factor some people may feel they will be dumped a dog and may feel they end up with up Have you tried a survey ?? it may help find out what the public thinks and even just how much they actually know about rescue.You could then use that information to better direct your wording??????? just a thought

I think one of the biggest things, across the board in rescue, is poor customer service. If you have an enquiry from someone wanting to foster, it should be followed up promptly and professionally. Too many rescue groups are, just, basically, unprofessional and some border on rude. This doesn't just go for foster carers, but your whole approach. There is the potential to be off putting at every level: People who want to surrender animals may find staff overly gruff or judgemental and choose a different group to surrender to, people wishing to adopt may feel under supported and look for another group, and, yes, volunteer foster homes may find staff rude, judgemental, or under supportive, and choose not to offer their services to the organisation.

I don't know anything about your group, honeybun, and you may have excellent interpersonal skills... But you'd be an exception if that was the case.

I think one of the biggest things, across the board in rescue, is poor customer service. If you have an enquiry from someone wanting to foster, it should be followed up promptly and professionally. Too many rescue groups are, just, basically, unprofessional and some border on rude. This doesn't just go for foster carers, but your whole approach. There is the potential to be off putting at every level: People who want to surrender animals may find staff overly gruff or judgemental and choose a different group to surrender to, people wishing to adopt may feel under supported and look for another group, and, yes, volunteer foster homes may find staff rude, judgemental, or under supportive, and choose not to offer their services to the organisation.

I don't know anything about your group, honeybun, and you may have excellent interpersonal skills... But you'd be an exception if that was the case.

+1

I think there are a couple of ways to attract potential foster carers. My first suggestion is to contact your local council and see if it is possible to send out a flyer with dog re-registrations. Councils in QLD used to do it with rates notices but you really want to target pet lovers. Do you have signs up at local pounds? Are there popular pet shops where you could set yourself up one saturday morning to talk to pet lovers? When people find out I foster dogs they have no idea how it works. Flyers should include a carer and dog story and state the resources/support you provide your carers as well as what you expect from your carers. If there are any pet or animal expos on you could also set up a stall with the specific purpose of recruiting. You could also check with your dept of communities or families and when they are recruiting for foster carers for children see if they would let you distribute flyers as not everyone who goes to their presentation nights or training ends up being right for caring for children.

There are also some people on benefits who would make great foster carers but they might think they can't afford to care for an animal on their income. The rescuer I support provides good quality food which I choose to supplement, and all medications, etc so some rescue groups leave a foster carer with very minimal cost outlays and this could be a selling point to people on Centrelink benefits with time and love to give.

+1

I think there are a couple of ways to attract potential foster carers. My first suggestion is to contact your local council and see if it is possible to send out a flyer with dog re-registrations. Councils in QLD used to do it with rates notices but you really want to target pet lovers. Do you have signs up at local pounds? Are there popular pet shops where you could set yourself up one saturday morning to talk to pet lovers? When people find out I foster dogs they have no idea how it works. Flyers should include a carer and dog story and state the resources/support you provide your carers as well as what you expect from your carers. If there are any pet or animal expos on you could also set up a stall with the specific purpose of recruiting. You could also check with your dept of communities or families and when they are recruiting for foster carers for children see if they would let you distribute flyers as not everyone who goes to their presentation nights or training ends up being right for caring for children.

There are also some people on benefits who would make great foster carers but they might think they can't afford to care for an animal on their income. The rescuer I support provides good quality food which I choose to supplement, and all medications, etc so some rescue groups leave a foster carer with very minimal cost outlays and this could be a selling point to people on Centrelink benefits with time and love to give.

These two.

When I was looking to foster, the first thing I did was just go with a group I had heard about since I was young. I gave them 6 months to get back to me, and was asked more than once or twice to 'fill out my form' again. They also wanted me to pay to be a foster carer which I was happy to do and persisted, but after submitting my form yet again and waiting to hear back (after speaking to them on the phone), I started to look around because I felt that in the time it took for them to get back, I could have easily fostered one or two dogs.

I did my research over the internet and found a comprehensive foster carer's website with good testimonials from foster carers as well as adopters, and a little something about the rescue approach. I went with this group, and they called me back that afternoon, with very prompt followup on the form I returned.

I no longer foster for personal reasons, but help this group out (and others) whenever I can.

When I became a foster carer 8 years ago I actually volunteered with the group before actually fostering a dog. I would help out at the pound temperament testing, I would help with transport etc. When I realised that I enjoyed the processes particularly when I adopted a dog from the group, I knew I wanted to step up to become a foster carer. I have found it fun and very rewarding.

Our group has a process as do a few others in Canberra that I know if that ensure that the new foster carer is given a mentor and is given help with their foster dogs throughout the whole process. New foster carers are asked to fill out a detailed form of application and then a yard check is done and an induction. We always ensure that the right dog is matched with the right carer.

Anyway that was my experience and what happens now.

Thankyou for the helpful suggestions and comments, we will take them on board, and this,hopefully will result in more carers to help us with our work. :)

Some of our committee members are foster carers for us as well so we have an idea of the support foster carers need from the Organisation, there is empathy from these people to those in the same shoes.

We just have to get our name out there more, as there is such a great need and so many pets to help.

Some rescues have been known to have first time foster carers pay a deposit on the dog they take into care... just in case they abscond with it... it has happened... sad but true...

T.

Thanks for the advice.

I have heard that. Some ask $100, and another was asking $350, but we dont want to go down that track.

We keep in regular contact with our carers, and it would be a desperate person that does a midnight flit just to keep a foster dog.Hopefully they would come to us before they do something so desperate.

But having said that I have heard of it happening in other groups.

Edited by honeybun