Qestion On A Breed ?

Niki8

Hi there,

I just would like to ask for your opinions and help…I have been considering buying a dog and I have been reading a lot to make sure I will be a good dog owner and give my pup/dog the best I can :)

Originally, I thought I would go for a labrador retriever. My sister has had one and I truly love that breed and kind of feel we would suit each other. I love being outdoors and keeping my fitness up, plus I am a very playful person and I love fitness or mental challenges…when I read about labs, sometimes I have to laugh as they so remind me of my personality… :)

Anyway, when I was reading through the books and different articles on the internet, I also got into a section of labrador crosses (particularly border collie lab cross). I wanted to find out a bit more about it and even thought I have found only the positive as for the personality of this cross breed, there are so many negative responses from people out there…I mean whenever I have found some article of someone considering getting a cross, people just commented in a way that “it was the worst thing to do” and that the person should get a pure-bred dog or help some puppy from a shelter.

I’ll be honest…I also looked up ads on puppies of this cross-breed and there are almost none…hm…so I wonder why if you mate two pure-bred dogs (one border collie and one labrador retriever) who have had their testing done (as for hip dysplasia and other medical conditions these breeds are susceptible to), why is it such an issue? As from what I have read, the first generation of these dogs should have ‘better’ health and be just something in between of both breeds as for their personalities as they get 50% from each of the parents. Is the main concern that there is no control over the new owners who could potentially mate their puppies when grown up further? Wouldn’t then be a solution to require those puppies to be desexed as it is sometimes requested by breeders of pure-bred dogs?

I feel a bit confused as for what I have been reading (the negative opinions of wanting a cross-bred dog) and that’s why I have thought I’ll just ask others…what are your opinions?

I would actually really love to buy a border collie-lab cross from some nice breeders who provide a good environment for their litters and whose parents were tested but it seems that there is no one in Australia who actually mates those two beautiful breeds…any help? Or I just may stick to a pure lab… :)

Thanks lots and lots...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I doubt you're going to get anyone here promoting anything other than a pure bred Labrador being this is a pure bred dog forum.

Why would you want to cross 2 beautiful dogs that are stunning in their purebred form?

I don't think many people would be deliberately breeding a cross of those breeds, and people would not promote them here :) . If you are after something similar, what about looking in shelters? Or get a purebred?

What is it about them vs a purebred tht you like?

ETA there is a Lab X in this thread

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/238530-broken-hill-13-june-almost-full-help-please/

Edited by Kavik

Hey, thanks for your comment…I know I am maybe not at the right place but there is really nowhere else I could ask...and at least I'll get the opinions of some proper breeders…

Well, why I have got actually across this cross-breed is because I am reading a book written by a UK vet on dog training and stuff and he does own a cross of a border collie and a lab…it’s a beautiful dog…

Both border collie and labrador retrievers have beautiful personalities…and when I went through their characteristics, I was thinking maybe I could get a border collie…and from that I got to a cross of those two breeds…there’s nothing else really to it…I just want a healthy loving dog but was surprised about how much negativity I hear here when it comes to cross-breeds…

The problem with crossing breeds is firstly you do not know the background of the dogs.A dog may look like a labrador or a collie but not being pure bred it may have any number of other breeds in it's more distant ancestry.This will impact on the overall temperament of the dog because behaviour traits can be passed down not just from the parent dogs ,but also from generations further back.Temperament does not split 50/50.Each time you cross you create more possibilities with regard to temperament.

You could end up with a dog that looks like a Labradore but has a temperament that is nothing like one

With Labs being gundogs and Border Collies herding dogs, their temperaments are not the same, and neither is their build - what is it that draws you to each of these breeds, and why do you think a cross of them would be what you are looking for?

When you cross 2 breeds you don't necessarily get 50% of each breeds personality characteristics - its a bit of a lottery. You could end up with a dog with the worst features of each breed in both personality and physical characteristics. I have had both breeds and can't imagine that a cross between the 2 would be an improvement on either breed.

I don't think many people would be deliberately breeding a cross of those breeds, and people would not promote them here :) . If you are after something similar, what about looking in shelters? Or get a purebred?

What is it about them vs a purebred tht you like?

ETA there is a Lab X in this thread

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/238530-broken-hill-13-june-almost-full-help-please/

I do consider a purebred...the question was more about why not a cross-breed? I would love to take a dog from a shelter and help a dog who wasn't treated well or lost home but as a first dog owner, I read I should have a dog from a puppy first to learn how to train it...if I get a dog from shelter I would have to unteach the dog old habits and teach new...

[quote name='Niki8' timestamp='1340003451' post='5869919'

I do consider a purebred...the question was more about why not a cross-breed?

Because you won't know what you are likely to get both physically or temperament wise.

if I get a dog from shelter I would have to unteach the dog old habits and teach new...

...and if you get a dog from a reputable rescue whose dogs live in foster care before going to carefully screened homes - you get a lovely dog to suit you !

The beauty of purebreeds is predictability.

I like knowing what I'm getting.

With a cross breed it can be like getting a 2 jigsaw puzzles.

Shaking them up in one box and then trying to put it together to make a pretty picture.

The bits won't always fit together well and you can end up with an ugly mess!.

What is it that you want though? You are saying cross breed of two unrelated breeds. What is it that draws you to this?

How about you start with what you are after in a dog and start from there:

* Temperament

* Exercise requirements

* Trainability and how much training are you prepared to do, any dog sports or classes

* Grooming - how much are you willing to do?

* Size

* Sociability with other dogs? Social butterfly, can be very upfront with meeting others, or more interested in you and 'working' than other dogs?

etc

I'll be honest…I also looked up ads on puppies of this cross-breed and there are almost none…hm…so I wonder why if you mate two pure-bred dogs (one border collie and one labrador retriever) who have had their testing done (as for hip dysplasia and other medical conditions these breeds are susceptible to), why is it such an issue?

Because 99.9% of people breeding cross breeds are not going to bother with health tests. What for? You can't register them, can't show them, can't work them (in their original purpose, ie herding)...

As from what I have read, the first generation of these dogs should have 'better' health and be just something in between of both breeds as for their personalities as they get 50% from each of the parents. Is the main concern that there is no control over the new owners who could potentially mate their puppies when grown up further? Wouldn't then be a solution to require those puppies to be desexed as it is sometimes requested by breeders of pure-bred dogs?

Doubtful.. are you EXACTLY 50% like each of your parents? You're talking about 2 completely different breeds, different groups (herding vs gundogs), different personalities, bred for different purposes. What breed traits do you want in a dog?

I've no issue with cross breeds, but you'll have no idea of how a pup from this cross will turn out until it's matured. Hence why people would suggest a older shelter/rescue dog, where what you see is what you get.

The problem with crossing breeds is firstly you do not know the background of the dogs.A dog may look like a labrador or a collie but not being pure bred it may have any number of other breeds in it's more distant ancestry.This will impact on the overall temperament of the dog because behaviour traits can be passed down not just from the parent dogs ,but also from generations further back.Temperament does not split 50/50.Each time you cross you create more possibilities with regard to temperament.

You could end up with a dog that looks like a Labradore but has a temperament that is nothing like one

Sorry, maybe I havent't explained myself well...I was thinking of getting a pup from a pure-bred border collie and pure-bred labrador retriever...in that case, I meant it would be 50/50...

No, it doesn't mean it's 50/50

I have a CKCS x Shih Tzu. Mum - pure CKCS and Dad - pure Shih Tzu.

He looks (mostly) like a CKCS but he is nothing like a CKCS. His temperament is mostly like Shih Tzu.

You simply don't know what you are going to get when you get a crossbreed.

Edited by CW EW

My previous dog was a Cocker Spaniel x (dog that jumped the fence :laugh: - literally that's what they told us! I suspect Kelpie sort of dog). She looked NOTHING like a Cocker Spaniel! Short hair, leggy, wiry, lean.

Sorry, maybe I havent't explained myself well...I was thinking of getting a pup from a pure-bred border collie and pure-bred labrador retriever...in that case, I meant it would be 50/50...

Nope, sorry. A cross of 2 purebred dogs will not necessarily result in a dog which is 50% like each breed it comes from. The dog could be more BC, it could be more Lab, it could look like a BC but have a lab temperament (or vice versa), it could be a combination of the best of both breeds, it could be a combination of the WORST of both breeds.

People breeding cross bred dogs generally do not do health testing (in fact the majority of them wouldn't even know what health testing should be done), and are unlikely to have a good knowledge of the backgrounds of the dogs they are breeding with - it's a massive lottery, as you just won't know what is behind the parents of your pup.

Ethical ANKC registered breeders do not cross breed dogs, it is against the COE that we agree to follow.

.in that case, I meant it would be 50/50...

I have a Xbreed .. one herding, one hunting /retrieving and knew both his parents , and am an experienced dog owner. he is not much like either parent ..and is somewhat crazy . I can not really see an ounce of his father in his looks or temperament ..and size wise he is heaps larger than his mum..his coat is his own, and her temperament unfortunately escaped him :p

so ... it is NOT 50/50 .

I looked forward to getting him as I had a similar cross before ... wrong . :(

Hi everyone,

Hey, I just would like to say huge thank you for all your replies, you are starting to persuade me that it's not a good idea to buy a cross-breed...I definitely don't want to buy a dog from someone who breeds for money and support breeding of dogs not tested for medical conditions etc. I just thought that if you breed two dogs with lovely personalities that there is not much chance you get puppies with 'bad' personalities...I mean if both my parents are kind how big is the chance I'll be an awful kid...LOL...sorry for the comparison:-)))