On The Puppy Hunt... What Breed?

Sunnyflower

Hey Guys,

It's been 12 months now since we had give my beautiful little Oscar his wings & I'm ready to get myself another little mate

We got Duke our RR 12 months ago (A week after Oscar being put to rest) and he is 15 months and not too much of a goof ball. He is needing a companion which is also another reason we are wanting to get another dog. We've got our Devon Rex cat & also our daughter is 10 months old & she LOVES animals.

My heart says I want another Cavalier but I am worried SM will strike again, whilst I know the chances are small I'd be crushed if I lost another one so young because of it.

I want something small - UNDER 10kgs, low maintenance, primarily an inside dog but happy to be outside, happy to groom.

I am not a big fan of Maltese or Shih Tzu. I grew up with them but they were my Mum's love.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Edited by Sunnyflower

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a Whippet or a Sheltie?

A whippet would likely suit but I want more lap dog! I guess I need to change the original post to small under 10kgs.

Most Sheltie's need a lot of stimulation don't though?

Cocker spaniel

Probably need a little more stimulation than I can offer. I have always wanted a Cocker though. Maybe some Cocker owners could correct me on belief?

I have fallen in love with my Mum's Havanese. He is just gorgeous!! He is outgoing and loves to play, he especially loves exploring outside and chasing leaves. Harley is only a puppy but so far has a beautiful silky coat and doesn't mind being groomed. He has SOOO much personality and everyone that has met him has fallen in love. Great little dogs in my opinion!

I think you should get another CKCS. That's what the heart is telling you, isn't it?

The chances are slim it will happen again.

CW EW It really is what my heart says but I'm worried the fear will taint the bond I build! How do you find the personality differences in Charlie & Emmie?

I have fallen in love with my Mum's Havanese. He is just gorgeous!! He is outgoing and loves to play, he especially loves exploring outside and chasing leaves. Harley is only a puppy but so far has a beautiful silky coat and doesn't mind being groomed. He has SOOO much personality and everyone that has met him has fallen in love. Great little dogs in my opinion!

CD I will look into these little guys! Something with personality is definitely desired.

I'm voting for Lowchen! But I may be biased.

Not a lot of people know about the breed, but they are gorgeous, fun loving and very agile. I've found for the most part they are good at matching your pace and being the cuddly lapdog or the energetic agility dog/ball chaser. They are not yard dogs though, they need their people.

Every breed has its issues so weigh up the risk of another cavie with SM to the breeds you consider.

Personally with some issues i owuld take my chances on SM ,after its just like the chance you take your RR won't get HD .

Not a lot of people know about the breed, but they are gorgeous, fun loving and very agile. I've found for the most part they are good at matching your pace and being the cuddly lapdog or the energetic agility dog/ball chaser. They are not yard dogs though, they need their people.

Another vote for the Lowchen!

Don't need to be high maintenance, very healthy and a lot of fun!

These little guys sound ideal! I shall get researchinh.

Every breed has its issues so weigh up the risk of another cavie with SM to the breeds you consider.

Personally with some issues i owuld take my chances on SM ,after its just like the chance you take your RR won't get HD .

I understand each breed has it's issue's but my first Cavalier and it get dealt the big one!

Another vote for the Lowchen!

Don't need to be high maintenance, very healthy and a lot of fun!

These are the things I like to hear about a breed. :)

Look into an Aussie Terrier. They're fantastically tough but love a good snuggle too. Will be happy inside or outside and are pretty much health issue free.

A lot of people don't know about the breed, which is sad, but I love that everyone I meet fall in love with Kirah's cheekiness, determination and bouncy stride. Their average weight is around the 7 kilo mark and they truly are a big dog, crammed in a terrier body!

Sunnyflower, the incidence of SM in Cavaliers in Australia is believed to be 2%. Not much consolation when you have lost a dog to SM, but the odds are against you having another with SM.

You can go for another breed, and find the pup you choose has a problem too. It is just bad luck.

If you want a Cavalier, simply go to someone who is "safe", who knows the risks, and who breeds carefully. I have never seen SM. I have 4 generations of my own breeding at home. I needed to buy a dog, and chose a kennel which is owned by the health nazi, so I hope I will never see SM. And I am not the only one.

But --- there are no guarantees. Buy carefully. Hardly any breeders in Aust are testing parents for SM - but even an A rating does not guarantee that the pups will be clear, although it does seem more likely that they will be clear.

Cockers are too big for lap dogs.

If you must have another breed - think about Shih Tzus - personality oozing out of them. Tibetian Terriers too, but they may be too large for your requirements.

As ever, buy from someone reputable, who knows the liklihood of problems, and who has taken steps to guard against them.

Good luck!!

Look into an Aussie Terrier. They're fantastically tough but love a good snuggle too. Will be happy inside or outside and are pretty much health issue free.

A lot of people don't know about the breed, which is sad, but I love that everyone I meet fall in love with Kirah's cheekiness, determination and bouncy stride. Their average weight is around the 7 kilo mark and they truly are a big dog, crammed in a terrier body!

Thank you ASA! I grew up with a little Aussie called Holly & I must admit she was a little bit of a rough nut. My Nan had one also and it lasted for nearly 20 years. Probably looking for a little bit more of a soft natured dog. However my memory is from a long time ago so some researching and meeting may be in order.

I have to say that I am quite taken with Affenpinschers :)

Or a Pug!!

HW my friend has an Affen and she's appropriately named Monkey! I found her to be really sweet but a little aloof. I doubt this is normal.

Pugs however were interest when deciding on my puppy when I got Osc. I haven't actually met a lot of them though.

Sunnyflower, the incidence of SM in Cavaliers in Australia is believed to be 2%. Not much consolation when you have lost a dog to SM, but the odds are against you having another with SM.

You can go for another breed, and find the pup you choose has a problem too. It is just bad luck.

If you want a Cavalier, simply go to someone who is "safe", who knows the risks, and who breeds carefully. I have never seen SM. I have 4 generations of my own breeding at home. I needed to buy a dog, and chose a kennel which is owned by the health nazi, so I hope I will never see SM. And I am not the only one.

But --- there are no guarantees. Buy carefully. Hardly any breeders in Aust are testing parents for SM - but even an A rating does not guarantee that the pups will be clear, although it does seem more likely that they will be clear.

Cockers are too big for lap dogs.

If you must have another breed - think about Shih Tzus - personality oozing out of them. Tibetian Terriers too, but they may be too large for your requirements.

As ever, buy from someone reputable, who knows the liklihood of problems, and who has taken steps to guard against them.

Good luck!!

Jed, Thank you for your advice & guidance! It is something I know will likely never happen again but I finally got my dream dog & I lost him. I still get upset about it as I miss him dearly & we should be a couple of weeks away from his 4th Birthday!

I do know of a Breeder in Sydney who is a member of the NSW Cavalier Club & she tests, she only ever had one pup suffer from it in her 40 years of breeding.

Jed, Can you recommend any good breeders or are you breeding in the near future?

CW EW It really is what my heart says but I'm worried the fear will taint the bond I build! How do you find the personality differences in Charlie & Emmie?

I understanding completely what you're saying. But, I think once you get that pup in your hands, those fears will slowly fade away. I will be very careful on choosing another CKCS and research the crap out of the pedigree.

Do you know the cartoon 'Pinky and the Brain'? That's Charlie and Emmy. They are absolutely opposite like day and night. But, they gell. Emmy needs Charlie's calm and confident to not freak out, whereas I think Emmy was put on earth for Charlie. Emmy gets his moving by annoying him and always getting him to play.

I love The Sibs together. They are made for each other.