On The Puppy Hunt... What Breed?

Sunnyflower

If you decide not to go for another cavalier I second Pug!

I'd be interested in hearing a little more about pugs!

First you need to decide on colour :angeldevil:

I have a black one. He's mad as a cut snake and as frustrating as anything but also an awesome little dog. Keeps up with my Stafford, keeps the Maremmas in the line and is absolutely reliable with my daughter. He is a really tough little guy but also at the end of the day (when he's exhausted) so snuggly and sweet. I won't lie, we had a year of HELL but I feel we are coming out the other end in one piece. I love that he is happy to occupy himself outside and is not whiney or needy. They do also need to be loved a lot and spend time with their people. Food is Alvin's life! House training was reaaaally hard but eventually he got the hang of it - he's only slipped up twice with wees since easter. He's a touchy feely dog and has to be on my lap at night or lying on top of Esme the SBT. Thick skinned and quite able to keep up with the rough and tumble of a child playing with him.

IMG_7760.jpg

Aussie3 - I am not actually after a smooth coat, I would prefer fluff! I want something to snuggle into

Thank you for all your help guys. With the help & kind words from Jed & CW EW I think I will go with another Cavalier.

Probably a wise choice :rofl:

Seriously though, keep a Pug in mind for future, they really are just so great with kids.

laugh.gif I feel a sense of a Mwahaha with the 'wise choice'!

If I ever get a pug it will definitely be a black one! Your little guy looks gorgeous.. BUT to be completely honest Duke our Ridgie drives me up the wall most days because of the constant testing despite know EXACTLY what he's being asked to do. Were other days he's a little gem. I need a sweetheart type of dog that can offset Duke because if I have two cheeky monkey's & a cat that is usually the cause of making the dog play up because he always wants to wrestle I'll end up putting myself up for adoption laugh.gif.

Duke's really my fiances dog, we got him for him despite me training him & I pick up his poop and personally I'd prefer to be a one dog home but I really don't get what I need or want out of a dog in terms of companionship with him & I know that probably sounds terrible but he's just not my cup of tea, whereas my Fiance absolutely adores him & to be frank Duke chose him & his eyes light up anytime he enters the room.

Aussie3 - I am not actually after a smooth coat, I would prefer fluff! I want something to snuggle into

Thank you for all your help guys. With the help & kind words from Jed & CW EW I think I will go with another Cavalier. I have always wanted a Pug so I'll have a chat with my fiance but I think I need to follow my heart otherwise I will forever be wanting another Cav and three dogs is not happening with a cat, baby & horses to work.

Thank you again. :)

Oh sorry, I was mixing this up with another breed selection thread :laugh:

Glad you've decided to go with your heart :)

laugh.gif That's ok! Admittedly floor sweeping hasn't had to be everyday since Osc went to the bridge & our Ridgie is inside majority of the time, so smooth coats are so much better in the sense!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Havanese or Lowchien. You may need more space and time before you get another CKCS. Only you will really know when you are ready, you don't want every little scratch or an ear infection to set you in a tail spin.

Even though logically your head knows the odds of SM are small, dwelling on it will taint your relationship with your dog. And any little problem will seem much bigger as a result. But just remember ALL breeds and combinations thereof will have their health problems and losing dogs is sadly part of owning dogs and can still happen for any reason.

Then again, maybe you are ready for another CKCS, and just need the affirmation. :)

Edited by LizT

• 3 weeks later...

I have two gorgeous Papillons, They both have such different personalities but have alot of love and affection to give. Domino is abit of a sook and enjoys cuddles and pats but has alot of energy to play with balls and toys. He has such a lovely nature and besides being abit gutsy at dinner he is a great dog. Cindy has an amazing personality, she is very smart and knows a few tricks on command. I have seen her hide a bone in a green 'woolies' bag and then drag it under the bbq to hide her dinner from the other! She has a more laid back and independant personality but both dogs love people and other animals. they get along well with cats, dogs, ferrets and poultry.

They don't get very big and are a good size lap dog, but mixed with lots of energy and the patience to sleep on your lap, I would reccomend Papillions because I believe they are graet and cute little creatures :)

post-41705-0-63398300-1341618928_thumb.jpg

post-41705-0-31448600-1341618956_thumb.jpg

Rescue dog!

The fosterers know their dogs, so they can match you with a dog who has the right personality for your household, that way the breed can be a nice and (possibly completely unexpected) surprise XD

A beagle would tick all the boxes if you allow for a few more kilos in weight.

Guaranteed to get on with your other dog, the cat and the baby.

I promise you not all beagles are crazy like people seem to think. Many are very calm in personality. Most are somewhere in between. A good breeder will be able to tell you which puppy is best suited to your situation.

They are as active as you want or the best couch potatoes ever. They love to be indoors with you but will happily spend time outdoors especially with a canine friend. A brush once a week is all they require. My grandson and a few of his beagles LOL

post-1582-0-77270600-1341643366_thumb.jpg

post-1582-0-07468700-1341643368_thumb.jpg

post-1582-0-94465500-1341643368_thumb.jpg

have a look at a griffon as well, come in smooth coat and rough coat.. I have a smooth coat, he is such a character. Loves people and absolutely loves other dogs, he lives with a whole pack of other much bigger dogs and gets on very well with them all. And at night nothing nicer than sitting on mum's lap having a snuggle :)

I'm voting for Lowchen! But I may be biased.

Not a lot of people know about the breed, but they are gorgeous, fun loving and very agile. I've found for the most part they are good at matching your pace and being the cuddly lapdog or the energetic agility dog/ball chaser. They are not yard dogs though, they need their people.

2nd this :) having lived with one for the last 6 months now I'm in love will never go to anything else, I have competed this girl in agility with much success but she's very happy to just be a lazy lapdog ATM she's under my covers and snoring along with OH, eats anything, loves doing what I'm doing or just chills in her crate :) pure delight.. I find our girl prefers to be with us but will hang out in the yard with the other kids if need be, her best friend for a while was my bc when he was with us!

Best toy breed ever, big dogs in small packages