Dog Tags For Rescue Dogs

Well we have our first foster carer who this weekend is getting his first dog from us. I will be supplying collar and tag for the dog, collar is no problem but am not sure where to get tags from and what sort would be best

I would like to buy several or a bulk lot so I dont have to rush around each time I foster out a dog. Also I am not sure how easy it will be to retrieve them once the dog is sold so will need to keep some on hand

I have seen some rescues use the plastic key tags the old fashioned ones my mum and dad used to use but if they get wet, the water would ruin any writing inside and they look not so great too

Curious to see what other people use and if anyone can recommend a supplier for them?

We buy quite a few tags at a time with "Iggy Rescue" and our mobiles on them. We used to send dogs off with them as they go on a trial period for 2 - 4 weeks, depending on the dog/situation. We've only ever had 1 dog returned in the last 3 years and very few tags unfortunately.

I now remove the Iggy Rescue tag and replace with a plastic one which I write on with the dog's name, my phone no and the new owner's no and ask them to get a new one made at the end of the trial period. The plastic tag is pretty ugly so I'm sure most owners would definitely be buying a tag asap.

We buy quite a few tags at a time with "Iggy Rescue" and our mobiles on them. We used to send dogs off with them as they go on a trial period for 2 - 4 weeks, depending on the dog/situation. We've only ever had 1 dog returned in the last 3 years and very few tags unfortunately.

I now remove the Iggy Rescue tag and replace with a plastic one which I write on with the dog's name, my phone no and the new owner's no and ask them to get a new one made at the end of the trial period. The plastic tag is pretty ugly so I'm sure most owners would definitely be buying a tag asap.

I was just thinking about this the other day. What should I get for Mitch and Muppy? Best to have something on their collar just in case they get let out by an intruder or the like.

I just use those plastic key tags but I try and match the colour to the collar and dog. When my foster kids are out in public they always wear a bandana anyway. I've finally made some 'adopt me' ones up that have a shar pei pic on them and the rescue groups details, so the tag is unlikely to be seen.

I got a tag with 'Rescue Dog' on it and my number on the back made up when I was surrendered an escape artist (which never escaped in my care, nor now in her new owners..). It cost me about $13 - normal rates from a pet shop. This particular dog went to a new home with this tag (as I was concerned about her escaping, though she never did) and after the 2 week trial, I rang up and asked them to post it back, which they did.

I generally don't like dogs wearing collars, and I only really put this tag on dogs for the first few days they're with me, and then it gets taken off. For dogs that play biting games, they definitely don't wear collars.

I always, always have a tag on mine. I think aluminium/metal is best, If you dont want to send the expensive tags with them and you are happy to put the old plastic tag (that you use on keys) you can buy mini ones from some of the hardware stores.

You can get the aluminium ones on ebay (either plain metal or some really colorful unique designs (design your own) for between 6.00 and 6.99 (buy 2 get one free) which works out at $12 to $14 for 3 engraved.

The writing on the plastic tags can be saved if you can place a little bit of stickytape directly over the writing, before putting it back inside the plastic sleeve of the plastic tag.

You can also write directly on the back of the plastic tag with a laundry marker (and sticky tape that too).

Well we have bought a single metal one shaped like a bone and have had "I am a foster dog" on one side and on the other our rescue group name and phone number

We have also been sent a couple of links to some bulk dog tags that in the future we will look at purchasing as doing it one at a time is pretty pricey

Thanks for all the responses - its interesting to read what others are doing