I'm Scared To Put My Dog Outside

Alfie02

Hi DOLer's,

As you have probably heard there have been multiple dog thefts in the hunter region over the past month or so.

Now dogs are being found injured or even dead and they are suspected to have been involved in illegal dog fighting.

Beacuse of this, I am sooo scared to put our dog outside! He usually sleeps outside in his kennel of a night, however we cant bear to think of him being stolen so he hasn't been left outside.

He is a Ridgeback so a prime target for these thefts and I can feel tears in my eyes thinking about him being stolen.

So my question is....how can we protect him in our backyard? are there any deterents we could set up so people wouldnt want to come near our backyard?

thanks,

ALfie02

Have you got the room that you can set up a crate/ or leave him inside when you are out?, that would be my first thought. Apart from that I'd not be letting him outside when some one isn't home and/or able to supervise.

Hope you can find some ideas to give you a sense of more security - it's a horrible situation to be in :(.

Thanks for the replies,

Yep he is inside whenever we are home and only outside when supervise, which is a shame as he loves to sunbake.

We are going to put a lock on the gate and possibly have to look at getting a locked run for him? But until then he is inside with us, not worth the risk. The only reason he goes outside at night is because he actually behaves better if he doesnt sleep with us, but we can put up with a naughty ridgy over a stolen ridgy any day!

Thanks for the help guys!

Maybe large sensor flood lights for night time? They are a pretty good deterrent and easily bought from the local hardware. Cameras are good if they are visible. We have a bright purple one on our driveway so no mistaking that the house is under surveillance.

Guest Willow

You can get motion sensors for gates, so that if the gate is opened it sets off an alarm. That way you would hear if he was outside and someone tried to get him out of the gate. With a big dog like a ridgey, they would be unlikely to hop the fence and try to lift him over...they would have to open the gate and walk him out.

Make sure you give your phone number to your neighbour's and ask them to call you day and night if they see anything out of the ordinary around your place. Padlocks on all your gates just adds another deterrent as do sensor lights. If he's a bit naughty at night, crate training might be the go or finding a suitable area inside the house where he can be confined.

It's possible some of the reports of vans etc going round could be groomers, walkers or doggy day care people picking dogs up in the course of their normal business, but there is always the possibility that is is someone doing the wrong thing so putting some safeguards into place is not out of place either.

Guest Willow

Make sure you give your phone number to your neighbour's and ask them to call you day and night if they see anything out of the ordinary around your place. Padlocks on all your gates just adds another deterrent as do sensor lights. If he's a bit naughty at night, crate training might be the go or finding a suitable area inside the house where he can be confined.

It's possible some of the reports of vans etc going round could be groomers, walkers or doggy day care people picking dogs up in the course of their normal business, but there is always the possibility that is is someone doing the wrong thing so putting some safeguards into place is not out of place either.

Maybe also tell your neighbours you DON"T have anyone coming round to pick your dog up, so if anyone were to say "Oh, I'm the dog walker" etc, they know this is not true.

We had a guy knock on our door to ask about our boy a awhile back, so I got decent locks for all the gates and he now stays inside most of the time...

I had sensor lights installed. I was going to get the cameras installed to but decided not to.

We were lucky, the guy has not been back.

If I were you, I would instal cameras, sensor lights and get big locks for all gates.

I would also keep the dog inside from now on...

I hope the thefts stop.. It is just terrifying to think someone would steal a beloved pet.

I'd just be keeping the dogs inside unless I was there to supervise them.

This is what I'd be doing too....or is it possible to build a dog run, with a roof & a padlock for you to put him in when your not around??

I really feel for you, it's awful that you can't even leave your dog in his own backyard these days without the fear of him being stolen. :(

I hope they catch the lowlifes that are doing it very soon.

I'd just be keeping the dogs inside unless I was there to supervise them.

This is what I'd be doing too....or is it possible to build a dog run, with a roof & a padlock for you to put him in when your not around??

I really feel for you, it's awful that you can't even leave your dog in his own backyard these days without the fear of him being stolen. :(

I hope they catch the lowlifes that are doing it very soon.

A dog run with a GOOD padlock is a great idea but if the are desperate enough a good set of heavy duty wire cutters will be all it takes. :(

Cameras, sensors and keeping your dog indoors when not a home. Liasing with neighbours is also a good idea, especially your doggy neighbours.

Can he be seen in your backyard from the road/footpath?

Apart from keeping him inside I would be ensuring that he can't be seen from the road or footpath and that you don't have any tell-tale signs that indicate you have a dog in the backyard.

I live close to this area & I am also very worried. Even though I don't think they are targeting my sort of dog. You just don't know do you. Mine are out with me from 9am till 11 or 12 pm everyday & have free run of our backyard

during the arvo which only has one gate which is always locked & they are inside from around 4pm ish everyday till they go to bed inside at 10pm. I don't know what else to do. I would be so worried if I lived in the immediate

area :(:mad Shouldn't have to live like this just because of these low lives.

Edited by BC Crazy

Can he be seen in your backyard from the road/footpath?

Apart from keeping him inside I would be ensuring that he can't be seen from the road or footpath and that you don't have any tell-tale signs that indicate you have a dog in the backyard.

Very good point raineth.

That is one good thing about our backyard, he can not be seen from the road, but our side gate is easily accessible, so a lock on that for sure.

BC Crazy, it is so scary isn't it? I am hating these horrible people who are taking innocent dogs.

It really is a change as we usually try to let the street know we have a dog in the backyard so that thieves are deterred, but now we have to try to hide him..

Unfortunately, each week we have the people who run an excellent doggy daycare come and pick up the dogs from the backyard, so it might be hard to tell the neighbours not to let anyone in. But I will have a chat to them and make sure they let us know if anything out of the ordinary happens.

He is staying inside with us for most of the time we have decided and only outside while we are home and supervising. It is just too big a risk to leave him out. I think we might have to set up a crate or an area for him somewhere in the house to make sure he behaves...

Thanks so much for the help everyone :)

Edited by Alfie02

I just wanted to add, that I heard on the news these scum may not just be targeting larger breeds of dog, but also smaller breeds to act as "teasers" for the fighting dogs.

Anyone who lives in this area should keep their dog close, regardless of the breed.

I hope they catch these lowlifes and their customers who sponsor this carnage very soon.