Do You Have A Foster That You Regret Rehoming?

I still miss my foster beagle from a couple of years ago. Naughtiest dog I've ever owned but I loved her dearly. Her story didn't end well which makes me feel I shouldn't have let her go, as in retrospect, she would most likley be on this earth today if I hadn't. However, I thought I was doing the best thing by her at the time so there's nothing I can do about it. Miss her pretty face even now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine wasn't a foster, but I rescued Ricki from a farm, she was going to get a bullet . I had no intention of rehoming her , but these people that had come to a trial to look at another dog seemed like the perfect home , I felt that I had to let her have a chance , she was not looking to be any good at agility , so I let her go on trial , that night I cried :eek: . It didn't work out , she was too much for them and she came back, then and there I said that is it she is staying :laugh: she is doing agility now and she does my head in at times :rofl: I love her to bits and am glad she is back, even if she is hell in a small package sometimes :)

Yes, my last one actually which is one of the reasons why I've stopped rescuing/fostering :(

I've been in contact with the new owner recently and she has a great life and a better one than I could have offered at the time but I still miss her :(

Guest muttrus

When we became foster carers for the first ever time it was because our 16 year old poundie had passed and we wanted to do something in honour of him.

Our second foster was a starved scared abused female dane x.It was hard because she was so much like looking at our old feller we wanted to keep her but the pain was still raw and after she was ready she found a wonderful home miles away.

BUT

We saw up for adoption 18 months later the family were moving to a farm where famers could shoot on sight worried they thought it safer that she not be there.We charged an old mobile phone called the number and as fate would have it they still had the same number .The family said they couldn"t remember our last name and the rescue (who we parted with on not so good terms) refused to give them our details .

They drove over 12 hours and brought her back to us where she is and always willbe for life

STRANGE turn of events

We had a plumber come around the other day and he seemed blown away by our dog we explained she had come from blacktown pound some years ago and how she came to be with us etc he claimed he knew her and her story he called his girlfriend and gave us her name we called and she responded without a second thought

MMMMMMMMMMMM having owned poundies and not always from good beginings Ive always wondered their history and now with details of her previous owner the one who left her to stave every bone visable clear fear issues Its all so unreal my first response after being told her owners name and where he lived was Id like to shoot him! Its mighty different wanting to know and actually knowing

So I guess in my case we fostered wanted her adopted her and got her back and as my hubby put it its good having her now because we don"t look at her as if she was zues and we can truely love her for her

• 8 months later...

I know it hasn't been long since he left us but I know Oscar will always have a special place in all our hearts. He went from a boy who looked like he'd given up on life to the most gorgeous smooshy boy and even after two months he was still changing and showing us new sides to himself. To keep him would've meant no more fostering and he has gone to a fantastic home but I know there will never be another quite like him.

I thought I'd update my old post. I've seen Oscar quite a few times now since he left and he couldn't care less about me! I don't even think he remembers me at all! He is so devoted to his family, and in particular the kids, that I don't rate a mention! The last time I saw him was only a couple of weeks ago and his dad was telling me he has had some recent treatment for skin flare ups (his butt hair was growing back and he'd dropped a little weight) all matter of factly like it was no biggie to them. He was always going to be a boy that needed extra care (because he has enough skin for 3 pei) so couldn't have gone to a better or more accepting family. Nothing is too much for them in regards to his care. Even better they have fostered another of Ams's peis with a view to it being a FF. Oscar treated the new girl like he does everything else these days - all chilled out!

Good luck Staffyluv - was Zig with you when she was there before? I'm sure he will help her settle back in.

Edited by Little Gifts

Yep, I have had Zig the whole time I have had fosters - we picked him up 3 days after our first foster dog.

I must admit I am a bit nervous - Pip was always going to be a big girl and Zig is so submissive with other dogs (I would hate to see him get hurt if she didn't like him anymore).

They loved each other when she was here but we had her from 3 to 6 months old and that was about 12 months ago now.

She always had an issue with eating around him but that is OK - I just fed him inside and her outside and then removed all food.

If they had bones, I sat between them.

He never has an issue with other dogs taking his food but she would growl if he even looked at her and even as a pup she had a couple of snipes at him (nothing serious and when told off she was fine). But I certainly wouldn't allow them alone with food.

From memory that is the only issue we ever had with her.

Yep, just remember she is a mature female now and you have another girl at home now too.

Bear in mind too it may take a few weeks for her to show her true ( new) colours aswell.

I don't want to dampen your hopes, but be careful.

One of my lovely female fosters, a big bull arab scruffer girl came back to me once, ( on hols),she was now mature, confident, and very much more dominant than when she left me.

That's a bit exciting, you'll have to post pics when she turns up. Good luck!

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see her. She was chipped by the pound as a staffy cross but was bigger than Ziggy (who is about 27kg) when she was 5 months old. She didn't weigh as much but she was taller than him..

I will post some taken before she left and some when she comes home.

Make sure you introduce them on neutral territory, just as you would with an unknown dog - there's been a gap since they saw each other. If you have more than one dog, do this one at a time, get someone to help you.

I always introduce them and then if all is OK, I take them all into the backyard and observe.

Good luck! I just had a foster failure but have truly regretted letting a couple go over the years, thought I wouldn't do it to myself this time.

Zig has no issues with others dogs at all. They can come into his home, eat his food, drink his water, swim in his clam shell, play with his toys and he doesn't care. He is not territorial or possessive over anything.

We had a friends oodle here a week ago and the first thing Charlie did was come in and eat Zigs breakfast.. He had never met this dog before. Zig just waited until he finished and then they went and played out the back while we sat and watched them and threw a ball for them because they are both ball mad.

I can introduce here at home OK. But I also happy to take new dogs for a big walk with Zig when we first meet.. Expending some energy always calms things down.

But Pip hasn't been around us for a long time and I dare say she is going to be a much bigger and more mature dog than when she left. I won't do anything to put Zig at risk, he is my main priority.

He has the most amazing temperament and I don't want to do anything to change that.

You girls do an amazing job with fostering.

I dont know how you do it, but thank you for doing it.

My girl is a rescue dog who was in foster first. She is the MOST AMAZING DOG, I love her to bits!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU from all us mums that get the diamonds at the end!

You girls do an amazing job with fostering.

I dont know how you do it, but thank you for doing it.

My girl is a rescue dog who was in foster first. She is the MOST AMAZING DOG, I love her to bits!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU from all us mums that get the diamonds at the end!

If Staffyluv doesn't mind going off topic, can you tell us your girl's story Jipsi. That is if it isn't somewhere else.