Dog Coats

Can anyone recommend really tough dog coats that are very hard for the dog to wriggle out of? Friend had a dog in a trailer at a dog show recently with a brand new coat on, dog wriggled out of coat and chewed to pieces.... Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Jill

PS: Friend is very experienced dog owner, so no doubt that the coat was fitted as intended.

Edited by jilldog

I had an 'indestructible' coat for my older dog - have had it for years. The type that looks like a horse blanket and has the straps that cross over under the dog's chest.

Got a similar one for my new standard poodle pup - he got it off and chewed it unfortunately but while it is damaged (the straps were chewed through in parts) the coat itself is still in one piece and can be repaired. I rescued it just in time, and will need to take it in to be repaired before trying again.

Having said that, it wasn't really a snug fit around his middle. So that explains how he got it off I think.

It is made of oilskin - one of these: http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/RUGTMO#.T_FrBfVOLKc

Bloody dogs!

Edited by Zug Zug

My girls are outside when they're wearing them so they need to be waterproof. I have two favourites Weatherbeeta 'Landa' dog rugs and Eurohunter dog rugs (they have the clips that go under the belly) The weatherbeeta landa's are great and velcro on - my dogs can take them off however they soon worked out that taking your rug off when it's cold means they get cold! The eurohunter one's I couldn't see a dog getting off but we all know how clever some dogs can be!

Thermomaster, they are like horse coats and the 2 straps cross over under the belly. They are a great cut and shape and fit really nicely.

The picture on this webpage they havent crossed the straps under the dog, but the way the straps are shaped and designed I find they sit better when crossed under the dog. They also make it more difficult for the dog to get out of them.

http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/639

Thermomaster, they are like horse coats and the 2 straps cross over under the belly. They are a great cut and shape and fit really nicely.

The picture on this webpage they havent crossed the straps under the dog, but the way the straps are shaped and designed I find they sit better when crossed under the dog. They also make it more difficult for the dog to get out of them.

http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/639

Thermomaster are great and they last.... my female had hers for 9 years :thumbsup: The only thing I didn't like was with my male, the drop was too long, and he weed on it all the time :cry: .

I like OP have a Destructo dog, when it comes to dog coats and I came up with a maybe solution tonight that I want to try, but want your opinion on. What about the Thundershirts? Would they work for warmth? Cause as a side effect, it might settle him for the night.

What do you recon? Cause it's going to cost me no more than what a dog coat will cost. Just means his rump might be cold.

My two just eat their coats so now they just have a pile of warm, fluffy blankets in each of their kennels. Works out much cheaper!!

I have just bought a book of patterns for knitting 10 different dog coats from Big W though. The only problem is that I don't know how to knit and have no one in the family who knows how. :o

I am determined to learn somehow!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

IMO ..dogs stay MUCH warmer if they have a little igloo/den.This can be a crate, or a hooded basket, or a kennel ,or a cardboard box - the thing is that there are few drafts, and body heat gets trapped/circulated in a small enclosed space .

It is well into teh minus temps here.. house is not heated ,and I have stopped putting a coat on Hamlet (very short coat, with no undercoat)at night! I find he is warmer and more settled when I cover him up instead :) With a coat on he curls right up to keep warm ..with a cover he sleeps stretched out a lot .

he has his dinner , then about 20 mins later I tell him to have his bed time drink..then he goes on his bed, and gets covered up :) Most times he is still covered next morning , and I vary cover types ,depending on weather .

he sleeps on a human stretcher bed which sags nicely, making a 'hole' ..then with his doona/blankets over the top , he is like a spotty dog pie! ..and very warm!!

Just something to consider ?

I totally agree Perse. I believe that Zeus destroys his coat to get it off as he's only ever just eaten the straps and not the rest. I feel he gets too hot in it so I'm happy to leave him heaps of blankets in the kennel -- he always makes a cute nest right at the very back and blocks the entrance with the blankets. :D

Me knitting coats is just something to do really -- I doubt I'll ever put them on my dogs!