Please Help Me Choose My First Dslr

Lollipup

What sort of camera bag are you looking for? THESE are awesome!

Do you have any post processing programs? Lightroom is awesome and of course Photoshop.

I don't really know, that's a whole other decision! I guess just something that will hold the camera and 2 extra lenses comfortably. I would like something with a bit of weather protection but really can't afford anything too fancy, all the money is going on the camera.

I have photoshop and lightroom but haven't really used them much. Still a lot to learn. I really like natural looking shots. Is lightroom easier to learn?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes should have done that, here is the original and then edited versions. Hope it comes out big enough.

post-35789-0-64306500-1342273737_thumb.jpg

post-35789-0-08668100-1342273838_thumb.jpg

this was just using a preset when I was trying them all out. I think it looks a bit too bright and yellow.

Edited by Lollipup

Camerapro service is excellent and you don't have the worry of paying duty if it gets picked up by customs.

And if you get a lemon, it is easy to replace.

Exactly. They even rang me several times when my order was being processed and when it was sent.

The other advantage of having Camera Pro as an Australian retailer is, you dont actually have to buy from them but you can take their prices to your local camera shop, or any other you fancy and see if they will price match, then you dont have to worry about grey market, you have the proper manufactures warranty and dont have to post it all the way to Camera Pro in Qld if something goes wrong with it.

Edited by Kirislin

Lollipup, I got the Nikon D7000 in March and just love it. I was using the D80 prior. I bought mine from DWI and although the order was over $1000, I didn't pay any GST etc.

Thanks Gapvic, I noticed you had one in some other threads. Do you have a link to some photos you have taken with it?

I guess the tax just depends on whether customs picks it up but I'd feel better factoring it in just in case. Did you find their service good? What lenses do you use?

My pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramerespanishhorses/sets/

Almost all were taken with the D7000 :)

The lenses I have are:

Nikkor 50mm f1.4

Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5

Tokina 12-24mm f4

Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

Im going to do the price check thing but otherwise go with Camera pro. :) I know the guy at camera house said the model I want is hard to find and he might not be able to get it in so I might have to order online. Will see how I go

Huge warning about not buying online for a major camera purchase - I think I am the best example for that. I upgraded to a Canon 7D earlier in the year (love it!). I got it home, charged the battery and the first pictures I took were all bright pink and green, split images.. really interesting. Rang up the camera store and asked about it (thinking it was the memory card). Turns out it was the processor in the camera. They swapped the camera over straight away - was very good. If I had bought online, I would have had the hassle of having to package the camera up and send it back. I have no idea what would have happened if I had bought a grey import.

I have bought lenses, flashes and memory cards online - (DWI is really good), but am very very very glad that I didn't buy my camera online. I just don't think the risk is worth it.

I did my homework though - I fond the best online price that wasn't a grey import (turned out to me a camera store in Brisbane by memory) and took that into my camera store here (Diamonds). They price matched. So I got a very good deal. I only bought the body as I had lenses already.

You are researching really well. Take the best non-grey import price into your camera store and ask them to price match.

Just FYI - the lens I use the most for every day action shooting is my 18-200 f3.5-F5.6 lens. It is really good. (I have a canon 7D). It is affordable and a good place to start I think. I used this lens a lot on my entry level Canon (400d) and got good shots with it. The other lens I use is the 50mm 1.8 - but I use this mostly for portrait shots. I, like many others, am saving up for a 70-200 f2.8 lens.

Huge warning about not buying online for a major camera purchase - I think I am the best example for that. I upgraded to a Canon 7D earlier in the year (love it!). I got it home, charged the battery and the first pictures I took were all bright pink and green, split images.. really interesting. Rang up the camera store and asked about it (thinking it was the memory card). Turns out it was the processor in the camera. They swapped the camera over straight away - was very good. If I had bought online, I would have had the hassle of having to package the camera up and send it back. I have no idea what would have happened if I had bought a grey import.

I have bought lenses, flashes and memory cards online - (DWI is really good), but am very very very glad that I didn't buy my camera online. I just don't think the risk is worth it.

I did my homework though - I fond the best online price that wasn't a grey import (turned out to me a camera store in Brisbane by memory) and took that into my camera store here (Diamonds). They price matched. So I got a very good deal. I only bought the body as I had lenses already.

You are researching really well. Take the best non-grey import price into your camera store and ask them to price match.

Just FYI - the lens I use the most for every day action shooting is my 18-200 f3.5-F5.6 lens. It is really good. (I have a canon 7D). It is affordable and a good place to start I think. I used this lens a lot on my entry level Canon (400d) and got good shots with it. The other lens I use is the 50mm 1.8 - but I use this mostly for portrait shots. I, like many others, am saving up for a 70-200 f2.8 lens.

If I get the kit I am looking at - 18-55 and 55-300, I should still be able to get similar shots to the 18-200 because I will be covering the same range right? Is that how it works? I just thought these lenses will be versatile and cover a fair range.

Yes I researched all day and all night yesterday, I want to be sure I am getting the right thing through the right place.

Camerpro looks like best Australian price from what I have found. Will take to a couple of camera shops here this week and see what they say. If they won't match I will buy from camerapro, at least it is covered even if I had to send it back and only sending back within Aus.

I was researching local vs grey and this is the link that made my decision, straight from Nikon - http://au.nikon-asia.com/pagearticle.php?pageid=65-52b9b66212

I think having local support will be handy.

THis is the link to my thread about my camera just FYI.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/236700-why-im-glad-i-didnt-go-grey-or-online/

Some good advice in there from others about purchasing. (Although you have got lots of good advice in here).

Also - on your courses - I am not sure what Nikon does - but canon have a website with tutorials on it for their cameras - World of EOS - I have picked up lots of tips and hints in there. There is some really good basic stuff about shutter speed and aperture.

I am sure Nikon would have something similar?

I've learnt heaps in here too - when Alicia used to do the photography challenges each month to teach us different techniques. I am not sure if some of those old threads are still around?

THis is the link to my thread about my camera just FYI.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/236700-why-im-glad-i-didnt-go-grey-or-online/

Some good advice in there from others about purchasing. (Although you have got lots of good advice in here).

Also - on your courses - I am not sure what Nikon does - but canon have a website with tutorials on it for their cameras - World of EOS - I have picked up lots of tips and hints in there. There is some really good basic stuff about shutter speed and aperture.

I am sure Nikon would have something similar?

I've learnt heaps in here too - when Alicia used to do the photography challenges each month to teach us different techniques. I am not sure if some of those old threads are still around?

Yes Nikon has a site called my Nikon life which looks like it has lots of info and there is so much online now. I can't wait to get started :)

Lollipup, I got the Nikon D7000 in March and just love it. I was using the D80 prior. I bought mine from DWI and although the order was over $1000, I didn't pay any GST etc.

Thanks Gapvic, I noticed you had one in some other threads. Do you have a link to some photos you have taken with it?

I guess the tax just depends on whether customs picks it up but I'd feel better factoring it in just in case. Did you find their service good? What lenses do you use?

My pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramerespanishhorses/sets/

Almost all were taken with the D7000 :)

The lenses I have are:

Nikkor 50mm f1.4

Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5

Tokina 12-24mm f4

Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

Gapvic, your photos are great! I LOVE the horses :love:

My husband has just lent me the money so that I can get the camera sooner. He is the best :D I am stoked, should be able to get it this week depending on who can price match or whether I have to order it in.

I am this excited - :happydance: :happydance: :happydance2: :happydance2: :cooldance::cheer::champagne:

I would also like to thank each and every one of you for your help and advice, it has been invaluable. :)

You will be hearing/seeing from me a lot more once I get it and start using it! :D