Parvo Outbreak In Pet Stores

Ronda

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw something interesting in the last couple of days. I walked past PP Fountain Gate on Friday night, they had puppies and kittens in all the bays. I looked from afar, I didn't dare go closer. Then I took my son then yesterday afternoon and every bay was empty. :confused: I wonder what happened to all the babies?

The PP at Fountain Gate is near me and I've heard of that store having parvo in it before.. just another reason to not go near it. Its just so sad, and those types of environments are just asking for trouble. They are bringing baby animals from unknown backgrounds and placing them all in close proximity to each other, is there any wonder they get sick. The sooner these places are gone the better.

They always have full windows at Fountain Gate and there are always hoards of people oooing and ahhing at them.

If i'm with my mum or nephews i always say in a loud voice how vile the shop is and where those puppies come from.

I do the same thing but usually add something like ( wonder if those poor little buggers came from the same disgusting place they got the parvo puppies from ) comments like that usually turn a few heads. My kids hate me going near the pet shops and say "shut up and keep walking mum" as we get closer.

I have heard many times about puppies with parvo that were sold through Fountain Gate, Narre Warren South and Cranbourne - no doubts there are plenty of others too - so it's not only PP but anyone who buys from the PF who have parvo.

Edited again to add:

One of my grooming clients bought a BC through PP in Fountain Gate 2 years ago and the pup had parvo, she was very sick and almost died, the vet bills were massive.I told them to return the pup and get a full refund but they didn't want to knowing she would be pts. PP did refund some money and paid maybe half the vet bills but that was it, I had her husband on side with me but she didn't want to cause any problems. Her other dog was due in for grooming and she called me first telling me about the sick pup and asked if it was ok to still bring her dog in for grooming - I could have died on the spot. She really had no idea just what she was dealing with and I thank God she called me first - I could have been in awful shit if that dog came in to my yard! I told her how to treat everything the pup had been in contact with and make sure her other dog is checked properly for any signs of parvo and KEEP HIM HOME. It was 4 months before I had her dog come to my home after he was cleared by their vet twice and it would have been a good year later that she brought the BC in for grooming. From a grooming point of view parvo worries the crap out of me especially when I know the majority of my groooming clients are still buying their dogs from friggen pet shops :mad ..

Edited by Andisa

Saw something interesting in the last couple of days. I walked past PP Fountain Gate on Friday night, they had puppies and kittens in all the bays. I looked from afar, I didn't dare go closer. Then I took my son then yesterday afternoon and every bay was empty. :confused: I wonder what happened to all the babies?

Perhaps the pups had parvo and were removed from sale? Not sure about the kittens but there would have to be some major disenfection - or maybe they sold them all.

And I ask again, what is DPI doing about it? Nothing?

What can they do about it other than check they are following the stupid codes and laws ? We called for more laws and we got them and big places like this which are selling to pet shops cover all of the requirements and get their licences. They tick all of the boxes and show their paper work and keep on pumping them out and moving them to the easiest market. Chances are they don't have PARVO on their property because if they did puppies would be dead before they get to going to the pet shop and adults wouldn't live long enough to produce a puppy - its more likely they are not vaccinated and pick it up enroute or when they get there. Parvo can get in via a million different methods and you don't have to have puppies living in filth or over crowded to have it turn up. Its a risk every breeder faces but pet shops which take puppies are at greater risk due to the exposure to the pathogens via environment and the public which the pups are exposed to before they are vaccinated.

In my opinion its time the focus was placed on the legislations and regs regarding pet shops.They shouldn't be able to buy puppies which are not vaccinated at least 5 days before they come in and they should have a quarantine situation, necessary vet exams before they can be offered for sale etc and a heap of other things which breeders are now legislated into having.Until the pet shops are given new codes and new laws all it does it make it an easy cheap option for breeders who are pumping them out in their hundreds. You can sell them unvaccinated , unchipped and remain anon if you sell to pet shops but have to do it all if you sell them privately according to state codes and laws and its time those things were considered as a huge impact on the entire process. Puppies in and out should be recorded and the DPI should be given reports on where they are coming from to ensure they have the people who are supplying them on their books and matching up numbers etc .Puppies sold to pet shops should have chips in paid for by the breeder before they are handed over rather than having exemptions so chips dont go in until time of sale with the pet shop paying.Puppies sold to pet shops should be vaccinated at least 5 days prior to the sale to the pet shop paid for by the breeder and not left to the pet shop to do. Shouldn't be such a hard ask if some of the focus and responsibility is placed on the place of sale rather than as it has been.

Its pretty bloody obvious that we are not going to over night stop pets being sold in pet shops so regulating so they have to spend more money, comply with more regs to purchase, hold, keep, offer for sale etc would make it a less profitable and less attractive option for breeders and hopefully cut down on numbers and the suffering.

We can beat it up and sensationalize it all we want try to use it against this particular breeder but the fact is any breeder can get Parvo in their homes or kennels and there are many small breeders who visit this forum who have also had to deal with it. In fact I received a call from someone on this forum only last week to ask for advice on this and it was their first litter in 2 years. These puppies may have been infected any time between the kennel and sale time but its almost unheard of for puppies which have been vaccinated to die from Parvo. If we had a law which said the Pup couldn't be handed over within 5 days of being vaccinated it would eliminate the risk of people buying infected pups and suffering at point of sale.

Edited by Steve

I'm always surprised at the huge amount of ragdoll kittens (often teenagers) at the Belconnen Mall Pets Paradise. They charge around $1000 for those kittens and sell them too. A puppy was actually stolen from the Woden Pets Paradise and it was not until midday that anyone actually noticed.

Sorry a bit off topic, but seeing all those wee puppy farm pups and kittens really makes me mad.

Edited by Decadence

I know of someone who recently was given a pup after her much loved family dog passed from old age. Unfortunately the misinformed people whose heart was in the right place bought from the wrong place. It was from a pet shop like the ones listed above. After weeks of treatment apparently the person involved was advised only the first $500 of vet fees were recoverable because of an existing contract. After such the puppy was able to be returned if costs went over it. This person has paid the subsequent $$ to get puppy better: a sad and hard lesson for all involved.

Edited by redangel

:mad "Breeder"...."Provided over 30 puppies to the store"

Breeder my arse....

30 puppies to the store over 6 years - breeder or not unethical for selling to pet shops or not there was still no evidence of Parvo - what now?

If puppies had to be vaccinated 5 days prior to leaving their breeder regardless of where they are sold to including a pet shop Parvo wouldn't affect pet shop puppies and no more pet shop puppies would suffer because of Parvo. Seems simple to me.

According to the PIAA industry directory, 'Passion for Pets', mentioned in the article is a member. There are a number of Pets Paradise members, though I couldn't see those mentioned in the article.

Ironic given this:

<H4>PIAA pet stores stamp out puppy farms and guarantee dogs for life

Posted: Tuesday, 6 March 2012 | By: SiteAdmin

The PIAA policy, effective in NSW from 1 October 2012, guarantees that:

• <LI class=first-child>Dogs purchased from PIAA member retail stores are sourced from PIAA approved breeders who meet animal welfare standards and whose operations are subject to independent audit by a veterinarian each year.
  • Any dog purchased from a PIAA member that is subsequently abandoned by its owner will be re-homed and saved from euthanasia. The first state to implement PIAA re-homing is NSW, where PIAA has partnered with RSPCA NSW.

Speaking at the launch at NSW Parliament House, PIAA Chief Executive Roger Perkins said consumers can now be confident that by buying a dog or puppy from a PIAA member store, they are helping stamp out dodgy puppy farms.

“Dogs and puppies sold in our stores will only be from PIAA approved breeders who care for their dogs,” Mr Perkins said.

“The policy also guarantees that no dog sold from a PIAA member pet shop will ever be put down because it is unwanted. We will pick up unwanted dogs, care for them, and re-home them.

The full Media Release can be downloaded here

Download the Dogs Lifetime Guarantee Policy on Traceability and Re-homing policy here

And this:

http://piaa.net.au/news/legislating-to-end-puppy-farming/</H4>

But its still all about what is dodgy .They use their criteria as those breeders who are registered with council and hold kennel permits. These particular breeders do = for them they are not buying from dodgy breeders. The RSPCA have been there , they have their permits, no evidence of Parvo so I assume it wont go anywhere until next time or the time after etc.

Hypothethical:You're a puppyfarmer. You receive a call saying that puppies from your farm have come down with parvovirus. You are told that the council is investigating and you should expect a visit from the RSPCA.What do you do?