Parvo Outbreak In Pet Stores

Ronda

Hypothethical:You're a puppyfarmer. You receive a call saying that puppies from your farm have come down with parvovirus. You are told that the council is investigating and you should expect a visit from the RSPCA.What do you do?

Clean every thing up asap, get sick dogs out of there. Make it look all clean and pretty for when they come so you don't get shut down.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothethical:You're a puppyfarmer. You receive a call saying that puppies from your farm have come down with parvovirus. You are told that the council is investigating and you should expect a visit from the RSPCA.What do you do?

Clean every thing up asap, get sick dogs out of there. Make it look all clean and pretty for when they come so you don't get shut down.

Yep - except would they get shut down if they had Parvo?

Edited by Steve

1343198221[/url]' post='5909704']
1343192732[/url]' post='5909616']
1343187668[/url]' post='5909515']

Why would you get shut down if there was no evidence of parvo?

1343198221[/url]' post='5909704']
1343192732[/url]' post='5909616']
1343187668[/url]' post='5909515']

Why would you get shut down if there was no evidence of parvo?

If it looks like they are following all the laws and there is no evidence of parvo or any other horrible contagious diseases then they probably wont be shut down. That's why they should do surprise visits. Don't call them and don't give them the chance to hide anything.

Why would you get shut down if there were or were not evidence of Parvo ? Parvo can theoretically happen to any breeder especially those with black and tan dogs known for their low immunity to it and if they do as demanded by animal rights and allow members of the public to be on their premises and inspect where the puppies live etc with puppies who are not yet vaccinated.

Parvo is endemic which means its literally everywhere and all puppies need to be vaccinated against it but they cant prove that the Parvo even came from the breeder - it may have been picked up at the pet shop or when in transit .

If we really are considering what action needs to be taken to protect the puppies from suffering from the terrible thing and not just interested in a witch hunt on a breeder who sells to a pet shop we should be advocating for all puppies to be vaccinated at least 5 days before they leave the breeder,that's at least 5 days before they are taken in by the pet shop or new owner and then no puppies would go home with Parvo or pick parvo up in transit or at a pet shop, or at the local park.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/rspca-raid-for-killer-dog-virus-20120724-22nkj.html

Just read this on Facebook....

QUOTE: Here's an interesting article from The Age. Read it, then consider this:

Pet's Paradise constantly claim they do not source their puppies from puppy farms.

Recently Pet's Paradise puppies were found to be infected with parvovirus. Now the RSPCA has raided a puppy farm, which was also found to be contaminated with parvovirus. How did the RSPCA know to check that puppy farm for the virus? Because records show that the infected puppies at three Pet's Paradise stores had been purchased from that farm.

And yet Pet's Paradise still claims to not support puppy farms. I find that insulting, do they think we are that stupid? They must be stupid themselves to think they can keep people fooled. But then, that kind of stupidity really should not surprise me, after working for the parent company of Pet's Paradise (P.R.H.) for about 3 years I am well aware of the stupid and dishonest things they do. END QUOTE.

Or we could just shut down puppyfarms.

Any time a puppy is sent to a pet shop or a new home without a vaccination there is a heightened risk it will get Parvo regardless of whether it is bred by a puppy farmer or anyone else.

Edited by Steve

http://www.theage.co...0724-22nkj.html

Pet's Paradise constantly claim they do not source their puppies from puppy farms.

Recently Pet's Paradise puppies were found to be infected with parvovirus. Now the RSPCA has raided a puppy farm, which was also found to be contaminated with parvovirus. How did the RSPCA know to check that puppy farm for the virus? Because records show that the infected puppies at three Pet's Paradise stores had been purchased from that farm.

And yet Pet's Paradise still claims to not support puppy farms. I find that insulting, do they think we are that stupid? They must be stupid themselves to think they can keep people fooled. But then, that kind of stupidity really should not surprise me, after working for the parent company of Pet's Paradise (P.R.H.) for about 3 years I am well aware of the stupid and dishonest things they do. END QUOTE.

Problem is tsill the same- what you think is a puppy farm isnt what they think is a puppy farm - as far as they are concerned a puppy farmer is someone who isnt breeding via the permits and registrations required to be legal .If they only buy from licenced breeders they are of the belief they are not buying from puppy farms.

Every single time this comes up we go through the same discussion . Until we are all on the same page as to the definition of what is a puppy farmer its all a blank wall.

Edited by Steve

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/rspca-raid-for-killer-dog-virus-20120724-22nkj.html

I too have worked for this company and the first word (of many) that comes to mind is 'arrogant'. And yes, I do think that they believe people are that stupid and they have been proven right because look at how much money they make from all those uneducated, ill informed people.

You keep bringing this up, Steve. All I've worked out is that your definition of a puppyfarm isn't the same as other people.

Thats because you dont understand that its isn't MY definition - its the definition which law makers and those responsible for the various codes etc use.

We attended a round table meeting with many many other dog related groups including the ANKC, AVA, PIAA, AAPDB,RSPCA several states etc and there was a consesus drawn on what the definition was to be used Australia wide of a puppy farmer . I didnt much like it but it wasnt MY call. The fact that other people havent taken that on board and that their definition is different to that which has been agreed upon has nothing to do with me however, every time I bring it up as a way of explanation as to current events it falls on deaf ears and somehow or other turns into MY definition or some crap about me supporting puppy farmers.Rubbish. It simply explains why nothing will ever progress as long as this continues with most of the world believing a puppy farm is different to the other half and why when they deny buying from puppy farms they believe they are telling the truth based on the agreed upon definition.

Edited by Steve

1343646844[/url]' post='5914785']
1343375972[/url]' post='5911998']

You keep bringing this up, Steve. All I've worked out is that your definition of a puppyfarm isn't the same as other people.

Thats because you dont understand that its isn't MY definition - its the definition which law makers and those responsible for the various codes etc use.

We attended a round table meeting with many many other dog related groups including the ANKC, AVA, PIAA, AAPDB,RSPCA several states etc and there was a consesus drawn on what the definition was to be used Australia wide of a puppy farmer . I didnt much like it but it wasnt MY call. The fact that other people havent taken that on board and that their definition is different to that which has been agreed upon has nothing to do with me however, every time I bring it up as a way of explanation as to current events it falls on deaf ears and somehow or other turns into MY definition or some crap about me supporting puppy farmers.Rubbish. It simply explains why nothing will ever progress as long as this continues with most of the world believing a puppy farm is different to the other half and why when they deny buying from puppy farms they believe they are telling the truth based on the agreed upon definition.

Actually, Steve, it's because when you bring up this definition of a puppyfarm thing it just obfuscates what people are talking about.

Actually, Steve, it's because when you bring up this definition of a puppyfarm thing it just obfuscates what people are talking about.

I read it as a case of someone who wants to bring about change from the outside dumping on someone who has put in many years trying to bring about change from within the system. The situation doesn't require obfuscation. The definition of a puppy farm is inherently touchy and difficult given the various interests involved. The Animal Rights community wants to make it look simple -- but many of them classify a large fraction of pedigree dog breeders as puppy farmers.

Well if some want to live in a world where all they want to do is accuse those they oppose of stupidity and lying etc as has happened here when PP explain they dont buy from puppy farmers go right ahead but that doesnt change the fact that they think they dont and the people who count - those who are legislating dont either.

PP say they dont buy from puppy farmers and they believe they dont but be my guest stay there and accuse them of deliberately lying and that will take us exactly no where toward ever finding what is needed to stop dogs suffering. Not my problem any longer.

Pets Paradise has been placed into receivership after the Bank of Melbourne seized control of the ailing chain of 62 pet stores controlled by Gary Diamond.

The Bank of Melbourne, which is owed $11 million, yesterday appointed Deloitte as receivers to Pets Paradise, part of Diamond's Paradise Retail Holdings group.

Deloitte Restructuring Services partners Tim Norman, Sal Algeri and John Greig have been appointed as receivers and managers of a number of companies in the Pets Paradise and Billy Baxter's restaurants group of companies, which includes Pet Goods Direct and Pets R Fun.

The group has a workforce of 170 staff across its operations and Norman said stores operated by franchisees are not in receivership.

A creditors' meeting will occur shortly along with a sale of the businesses.

Both company-owned and franchised stores will continue to trade as normal, but receivers said company-operated Pets Paradise stores had been struggling for 18 months.

Here are the five events that triggered Pets Paradise's demise:

1. Slow retail environment

While the receivers are emphasising that it is still "early days" in the process, Deloitte has indicated the slow retail environment has played a significant role in the collapse of Pets Paradise.

"The group's financial distress has largely been caused by underperforming, company-operated stores and significant rental exposures from store closures over the last 18 months," said Norman.

2. $1.2 million debt to a franchisee

Last week, the Federal Court in South Australia appointed provisional liquidators to one of the companies in the group, Billy Baxter's (Franchising), after it failed to pay a franchisee $1.2 million in court-ordered damages.

Franchisees Ross and Sue Pollard sued Billy Baxter's over the failure of their Billy Baxter's franchise in the Adelaide suburb of Glenelg.

Billy Baxter's is part of the Paradise Retail Holdings group, which also operates Pets Paradise, Global Pet Products and Warner Bros' Australian retail operations.

The Pollards claimed Billy Baxter's representative Phillip Mauviel misled them about revenue and profit that could be made in the first year of operation. They claimed Mauviel induced them to enter into the franchise agreement by misleading and deceptive conduct, by projecting a $1.3 million turnover for the business.

3. Diamond's home is re-mortgaged by his lawyers

Fairfax has reported that land title records show Diamond's home, in the Melbourne suburb of Harkaway, is subject to a high-interest second mortgage taken out by his lawyers, Macpherson & Kelley.

Interest on the $60,000 loan is charged at 20% with repayments due every month until next May.

A Deloitte spokesperson was unable to comment on the issue.

4. Trade Practices Act breach

In a separate legal case earlier this year, Pets Paradise was found by the Federal Court to have breached the Trade Practices Act by making misleading and deceptive claims when franchisees signed up.

Franchisees Elizabeth Campbell and Lynda Donnelly, owners of the business Pampered Paws Connection, took legal action on behalf of themselves and other present or former Pets Paradise franchisees, accusing Pets Paradise of misleading and deceptive conduct over whether their franchise agreement in fact compelled them to purchase stock only from Global Pet Products.

5. A deadly puppy virus outbreak

Pets Paradise was hit earlier this year by an outbreak of parvovirus, which causes bloody dysentery and vomiting.

The RSPCA raided a puppy factory in Victoria's east as part of an investigation into the source of the highly contagious disease, which claimed the lives of puppies purchased from three Pets Paradise stores.

A spokesperson for Deloitte told SmartCompany there was not a link between the puppy virus and the collapse of Pets Paradise.

"There is no connection there; there is no link to the parvovirus issue that some of the outlets experienced recently. This is all about the underperformance of the group,'' he said.

SmartCompany contacted Pets Paradise but the company declined to comment.

Would be nice if their downturn in sales could be linked to lack of support for their practices of selling live animals . That may at least slow down any other company thinking selling live animals will make em rich.