Keeping Multiple Dogs In Victoria

Luke W

Starting to do a bit of planning for the future...

I'd like to know what areas of Victoria (ideally outer Melbourne suburbs, or at least with 1.5 hours drive of Melbourne) - where I can keep 4 dogs or more?

I'm interested in both buying and renting so I'd like to hear about council rules and the likelihood of finding suitable rental properties. I understand that the further out I go - the more likely it is I'll find something I'm looking for - but I'd like to stay as close to Melbourne as possible.

Fire away!!

Thanks guys!

Pretty sure all councils have a 2 dog limit in Vic, but most will also consider permits for more dogs. I know that Gippsland and I think around Clyde/Cranbourne area are easier to get multi dog permits. Council will ask your neighbours and assess your property to determine whether the permit should be granted.

I know that Cosmolo has 5 dogs and is on a normal suburban block. She's in the Dandenong council region. She needs a permit though.

ETA: Avoid Glen Eira council like the plague. You can get an extra dog permit, but you need to get the dog first and then apply. They then asks any of the nearby houses if they object. One objection and you have a certain number of days to get rid of the dog. The permit is for that dog only and when it dies you have to re-apply to get another dog.

Edited by megan_

I'm in Newport, so very close to the city and I got a three dog permit with no problems. My neighbour has four dogs. Next council over, Maribyrnong, allows three dogs without a permit, so having four might be possible.

You can have up to 4 dogs in the City of Maroondah with a permit. You need a secure run and the permission of all adjoining neighbours. There are plenty of leash free parks in the area to run your dogs.

If you decide to rent I think your biggest problem will be finding a property where they will allow multiple dogs. Of course you could also buy somewhere and then find that you have a dog hating neighbour.

Edited by Miranda

In the Mornington shire the number of dogs depends on the yard size. You need a permit for more than two. We have one for four on a suburban block. The permit application includes a fee, a ranger inspection and a check with the neighbours.

Cardinia Shire - 2 dogs under an acre, 4 on over an acre. I have a permit for 3 on a normal block :) Next door neighbour had 5 with a permit as well.

Baw Baw - 2 in residential areas, up to 5 (or 4) on anything classed as rural or farming. Permit only required if more than 5 in rural/farming.

Bass Coast - 2 under a hectare. Permit required if you want more but they didn't seem very dog friendly.

South Gippsland (Korumburra etc) - 2 on any block, permit required for more.

Casey - 2 under 4000sq, 4 over 4000sq

Frankston - 2, permit required for more. When I spoke to the local laws person they said they issue a permit without any background or anything done (so no neighbour checks) and only dealt with an issue if it arose.

I recently checked all this out myself as I was looking to move, so this is for south east side :)

Good luck, when doing my research the least friendly was South Gippsland, most friendly Frankston/Cardinia/Baw Baw.

Edited by tollersowned

Cardinia Shire - 2 dogs under an acre, 4 on over an acre. I have a permit for 3 on a normal block :) Next door neighbour had 5 with a permit as well.

Baw Baw - 2 in residential areas, up to 5 (or 4) on anything classed as rural or farming. Permit only required if more than 5 in rural/farming.

Bass Coast - 2 under a hectare. Permit required if you want more but they didn't seem very dog friendly.

South Gippsland (Korumburra etc) - 2 on any block, permit required for more.

Casey - 2 under 4000sq, 4 over 4000sq

Frankston - 2, permit required for more. When I spoke to the local laws person they said they issue a permit without any background or anything done (so no neighbour checks) and only dealt with an issue if it arose.

I recently checked all this out myself as I was looking to move, so this is for south east side :)

Good luck, when doing my research the least friendly was South Gippsland, most friendly Frankston/Cardinia/Baw Baw.

That's an awesome list.

Do you know how long it takes to grant a permit in Frankston? Cardinia?

I got my permit in about 2 weeks if that? We sort of only have one immediate neighbour (none behind us, and a vacant block next door. So there were no objections, which might have pushed it through quicker?

Frankston it sounds like they do it on the spot. The lady I spoke to did say that you basically apply and you are granted a permit pretty much straight away.

Really? Yarraville allows three dogs no problem!

My sister's friend tried to get three dogs and was told it was impossible! Maybe it was the housing? She was renting in an animal friendly house. Maybe they're different if you own the house.

Edited by mixeduppup