Foster Dogs

Some more photos of Evie, she's so cute.

evie46.jpg

evie55.jpg

evie61.jpg

evie62.jpg

evie63.jpg

On a more sober note though, today Evie threw up kibble and there were roundworms in it!!!  It was so totally disgusting and gross.  I won't put the photos here but you can see them here and here.

1. I've seen worms in the stool of fosters before, but I've never had one vomit up worms.

2. She was wormed every month by her first/temp foster carer so I don't understand how she can still be so wormy!?  Anyway our dogs were all wormed yesterday thankfully and she was taken to the vet today to double check that she was ok and wormed again today.

Fostering can really be so gross...

• Like 1

Will it help if I say I've seen worse? *grin*

Puppies are renowned for the really revolting things they present us with... but as long as she's otherwise happy and healthy, I'd not get too concerned.

Does she only get kibble for meals, or do you feed raw too? I find that raw fed can mean the need for more regular worming intervals.

T.

Will it help if I say I've seen worse? *grin*

Puppies are renowned for the really revolting things they present us with... but as long as she's otherwise happy and healthy, I'd not get too concerned.

Does she only get kibble for meals, or do you feed raw too? I find that raw fed can mean the need for more regular worming intervals.

T.

LOL - Me too unfortunately. The advice back in the day was to rotate types of wormers (as in rotate your active ingredient). No idea if that still stands but - yeh it's stil pretty gross and yuck. 

The rest of the photos are awesome tho :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Dogs are gross ... I know that ... and I've dealt with ringworm, parvo, kennel cough, fleas, ticks before ... but I've never seen live wriggling worms before.  I cope badly with wrigglers like maggots/slugs etc - I think Dr Who and the Green Death totally traumatised me as a kid.

• Like 1

The worst I've seen is hookworms eating their way out of a pup's stomach... and can never unsee something like that...

As for Dr Who and phobias... for me, it was the Spiders of Mars episodes that made me arachnophobic... ohhhhmmmm... *shudder*

T.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, my post got cut in half ...

tdierikx .. I don't think I would have able to cope with that!!!

Fortunately she's doing well.

Evie at dog park with Elbie

evie78.jpg

evie79.jpg

evie80.jpg

Evie and turtle

evie85.jpg

Boozer puppy

evie86.jpg

evie87.jpg

So cute

evie88.jpg

evie89.jpg

Edited by koalathebear
  • Like 3

I had a foster vomit up worms too and I agree it was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Cleaning that up had me almost puking too! He had also been wormed maybe the week before. I felt terrible knowing they were in his tummy but could've done without seeing the evidence!

I love a shiny black dog. I'm sure there will be someone else at there who falls in love with Evie too and is just the right human for her!

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much all for your kind words. I'm glad to say that the beautiful Evie is totally worm free now (thank goodness!)  She's doing so well in foster care.

She's so clever and trainable: 

Has a toilet paper core addiction

evie91.jpg

Although she didn't really know how to cope when given this giant one ...

She's big dog and small kid friendly

evie109.jpg

She's a mini Elbie.

evie117.jpg

A bit of a poser

evie120.jpg

She's had a lot of applications but I've narrowed it down to two really good applications.  They're both about equal and I'd happily adopt Evie out to either but I have to choose, so I find myself grasping at straws to distinguish.

One pickle I often have is:

• Not all dogs are suitable for families with small kids, so if I get a toddler friendly dog, do I almost have a moral obligation to rehome her to a family with kids?
  • For more challenging/high energy dogs that are difficult to manage, I always rehome to people who are either very experienced, or very committed to learning and getting guidance.  If I have a dog that has no issues and is "easy", do I have some sort of obligation to rehome to a newbie family/a less experienced family?  Is it a "waste" of sorts to rehome an "easy" dog to an experienced person who can handle more?

I always try to rehome to the best home possible and the most compatible but I'm talking about a situation where the applications are all good and there's very little to distinguish between them.  

Edited by koalathebear
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

The experienced home may also really appreciate an "easy" dog for a change too... *grin*

T.

I totally agree with you there!  That's why I still try to keep it in my head to fit the dog for the home ... but there is occasionally a bit of an implications from some that the easier dogs should always be rehomed to a newbie or a family with little kids etc ... 

I find picking the homes to be so difficult ...Also because I'm conscious of how much backlash there is out there against rescue groups who are too picky or rude to their applicants.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, koalathebear said:

I totally agree with you there!  That's why I still try to keep it in my head to fit the dog for the home ... but there is occasionally a bit of an implications from some that the easier dogs should always be rehomed to a newbie or a family with little kids etc ... 

I find picking the homes to be so difficult ...Also because I'm conscious of how much backlash there is out there against rescue groups who are too picky or rude to their applicants.

Really it's no-one else's business who you rehome your fosters to... it comes down to who YOU feel the dog will do best with, OK?

T.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

The experienced home may also really appreciate an "easy" dog for a change too... *grin*

T.

Very True

45 minutes ago, koalathebear said:

I am amazed that you are worrying about the backlash some groups get.  Several deserve it, of course, but if you feel you are doing the right thing, why take on the criticisms that other groups are getting?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Very True

I am amazed that you are worrying about the backlash some groups get.  Several deserve it, of course, but if you feel you are doing the right thing, why take on the criticisms that other groups are getting?

Rationally I agree with you ... but it's hard.  There are a lot of groups with a negative reputation and there are people out there who have had one negative experience that has scarred them for life and I find trying to represent things positively in rescue can be hard.  So often I hear the words to explain a behavioural issue as being: "Oh he/she's a rescue dog" as if only rescue dogs have issues and purebred dogs never have any sort of behavioural issue ... And then I also get a lot of backlash about rehoming policies.  I've had personal abuse levelled at me because:

1. I won't rehome if the dog sleeps outdoors

2. dog must be desexed before rehoming

I got the point when I had to take my phone # off petrescue and just vet people by email first to see if they are normal :D

In happier news, Evie had a great day.

evie124.jpg

She did great at puppy class and her potential new owners came to watch her and even do some handling.

evie125.jpg

She got visited by former chequeredblackdog and her gang (including former foster Smudge :)

evie127.jpg

Former foster Smudge, Elbie and Evie :)

evie129.jpg

Former foster Smudge and Evie :love:

evie132.jpg

Evie starts doing a few day visits and sleepovers soon with a view to trial adoption in August.

• Like 4