Problem With Hair Snagging In Guard On Clipper

I recently bought clippers to do my own grooming, Wahl KM2 two speed. Tonight was the first time I'd used them, hardly taken them out of the box, so they shouldn't be blunt or lacking oil or anything like that.

I detangled the dog, washed her, and let her dry, then brushed her out again. But almost immediately when I started clipping the hair snagged in the guard/comb, it seemed to get pulled in between the blade and the guard, which pulled her skin and it wouldn't unsnag until I turned it off and pulled the guard off. It did this repeatedly, every time I tried to use one of the guards. Without the guards it's fine, but then it's very difficult to get it even. I didn't really want to shave her completely.

I watched the instructional DVD again, and the woman there uses a guard and has no issues at all with it.

So what are some possible causes for repeatedly snagging?

Are you using plastic or stainless steel combs?

I usually find snagging only happens when there are knots or tangles in the coat. Sometimes the combs start to not fit properly and we chuck them, but yours are new so that should not be the problem.

Make sure you can run a comb through the coat without catching before you start.

Edited by Rysup

They're plastic, in the DVD they were steel though. I brushed her out very thoroughly, but I find that her hair is so thick that even if I can run a brush through without issues, a comb will usually get stuck. Maybe her hair is just too thick?

I'm thinking I might be better off just getting a different blade rather than using a guard...

Have you tried the blade on its own? Sometimes with new blades if they are not aligned properly they won't cut. Can you try just the blade only on an inconspicuous part of the dog? I was only talking to the guy who sharpens my blades about this the other day, I have a 5 blade and I got it brand new from clipper world and it will not cut at all just snags and he said they can need adjusting and then all should be fine. What sort of dog? Before I got my stainless steel guide combs I used plastic and they won't through my cocker x poodles costs worries.

The S/S combs are very good however you need a very well groomed out coat to use them. I haven't found the plastic combs to be of any use. If you are just starting out learning to clip your own dog and decide to use the actual blades instead of combs, go for F blades not skip tooth...so if you want a #4 use a #4F or whatever length you choose. The skip tooth blades make it very easy to cut your dog if you have no experience with them.

I use snap on S/S combs every day they are very useful but the dogs are thoroughly groomed out and bathed and blow dried.

New blades are factory sharpened and sometimes need a better job done.

Plastic combs are terrible, if wanting to use combs you are better off with Wahl SS combs (and use a 30 blade underneath).

Right, so I'm better off just getting another blade then. I was thinking that's what I'd do. The blade on its own cuts fine, it's only when I put the comb on that it snags. It's a #10 blade.

The dog is a poodle x maltese.

How do I know which blades will fit my clippers? I was looking at blades at clipperworld when I bought the clippers, but they don't say what clippers they go with, so I ended up not getting any.

Ring Clipperworld - they are very helpful - don't do poochie with the 10 blade - poor dog would be butt naked if it doesn't have a really thick coat.

Edited by frufru

Ok, thanks :)

No, I wasn't planning on shaving her :) I did part of her without the comb, and just trimmed the tips, but of course she looks like someone's hacked into her because it was impossible to get it even. So I'll get a longer blade and fix that.

The #3 blade is a reasonable length (10mm? I think from memory) we do a lot of pets with that length. I find the blade gives a slightly better finish on some coat types than the SS combs anyway.

It doesn't make any difference whether the coat is thick or thin with the combs .

THe #10 blade is useless for that good though.

Also depends on which size comb your using .

Also whilst your dog may be clean some people bath there dogs in stuff that is just hopeless when it comes to clipping coats & the blades/combs won't go through it no matter what

But yes the coat must be knot free ,brushed through thoroughly & better still blow dried out .

Combs are fine but the blades are easier