Labradoodle In Rescue

I hate to ask this but does anyone know of any Labradoodles in rescue :grimace:

My siser in law, her husband and two children aged 2 and 4 live on a semi rural property which they own here in SA - they've always had Labradors in the past but despite my best efforts my sister in law has it in her head that due to less shedding etc etc the ideal dog is a Labradoodle.

They've had their name down with a few "breeders" for a pup but nothing has come of it and I am at least pleased that they have decided against a puppy and to give an older dog in rescue a home.

She has conceded to looking at Labs aswell and sadly there are an abundance of those in shelters and rescue - I have provided her with a email the size of war and peace with links for Labbies and keeping my fingers crossed.

They have no preference between male or female and a dog up to 5 years old would probably be preferable (they put their 12 year old Labbie girl down last year and don't want to go through that again for a few years if possible).

Top requirements would be a dog that is good with children, relaxed and houstrained.

If anyone does know of a Labradoodle in rescue that could be rehomed to SA please let me know.

Many thanks.

You mean and Labrador x Poodle? Are you looking for a Labrador x standard, mini or toy poodle? Have you let her know there is no guarantee that this cross will produce a non shedding dog?

(not criticising or judging just asking) smile.gif

Some people are just determined. My colleague is extremely well educated and smart and I have explained everything to him about DDs, paying so much for what is a crossbreed, health testing, puppy farms and all that, but his brother owns two beautifully behaved, perfectly healthy beloved labraoodles (who do agility and obedience and are beloved family pets) so they went and picked up their own yesterday ... Took a day off work and drove all the way to Condobolin to pick him up.

I do think it's a good idea to point them towards a rescue dog. Hope you find a suitable one!

There are benefits of non-shedding dogs and disadvantages of long-haired dogs on farms. Unless they are continuously clipped they are constant burr and leaf matter collectors, so can be quite high maintenance to make sure that they aren't matted and that they are bringing "stuff" into the house.

There was a small labradoodle type at the vets for its (hmm must have been annual) clip last week. It lived on a farm. It was DISGUSTING and had 2 large fish hooks embedded in its fur and the owners didn't know (quite the shock for the vet nurse when she was clipping)!!!

I found a really great thread on DOL of all the alternative breeds to a DD and gave her a lot of facts from that - she is one of those people who is so stubborn and she knows best - I have made major inroads by getting her to look at rescue and not a puppy - I am hoping she falls in love with one of the many Labbies I have sent through for her to look at - just thought I would ask the question.

I know she will take it as a huge endorsement that there are no Doodles in rescue :( this must make them a wonderful dog nobody wants to part with :mad

I agree with all you have said and appreciate the feedback.

I'm sure there are Doodles in rescue, did she want a standard, mini or toy cross though? Makes a big difference in the size of the dog.

Actually Labradoodles are often a disappointment to their owners due to the coat - they don't all come out looking like a Poodle coat, some come out with more of a shedding Labby coat.

They are also often hard to handle - this is according to the owners I've spoken to, maybe they were just clueless but they are busy dogs, probably if the Poodle traits are uppermost but Labs can also be boisterous.

This mix also has a high rate of epilepsy.

Actually Labradoodles are often a disappointment to their owners due to the coat - they don't all come out looking like a Poodle coat, some come out with more of a shedding Labby coat.

They are also often hard to handle - this is according to the owners I've spoken to, maybe they were just clueless but they are busy dogs, probably if the Poodle traits are uppermost but Labs can also be boisterous.

This mix also has a high rate of epilepsy.

I think people go on the dogs they know. Like I said, my colleague loves the dogs his brother owns. At my obedience club, there's a labradoodle that does obedience, rally-o and dances with dogs, there's someone else with labradoodles who does agility and her dogs also have tracking and obedience titles - if people have met good versions then that's what they go with. It's hard to convince otherwise. I think the best bet is to try to find a dog that's old enough to have its temperament and coat fairly determinable and go with that on an individual dog basis given that 'breed traits' are so variable given the mix.

If they like a retriever with less shedding consider a Curly Coated Retriever.They have a coat drop once or twice a year ,the rest of the time there is little shedding.The coat is very easy wash and go.With many Poodle crosses there will be quite a lot of grooming /clipping and some will shed all the time.How much grooming is your SIL able to do.

I'm sure there are Doodles in rescue, did she want a standard, mini or toy cross though? Makes a big difference in the size of the dog.

isn't there a possibility they will be large anyways because of the lab part?

Funnily enough I just met two "Labradoodles" in the dog park. One was so huge that I thought it was a Golden Retriever/Poodle cross and the man informed me no it was a Lab crossed with a Standard Poodle and he'd been to the "breeder" so he knew.

It was a lovely dog with a very poodle coat. The other one was more like a black lab and he'd adopted from Doggie Rescue a few years ago, I didn't agree with the Labradoodle assessment their vet had made, I could see eyebrows and chin hair and some tan markings which made me think of terrier, perhaps even a Wire Haired Pointer. Dog had some behaviours that weren't consistent with Labs or Poodles.

I saw the Curly Coat Retrievers mentioned in the other thread I read and have passed that on to my SIL.

To be honest I have never met or had dealings with a Labradoodle so am really ignorant about them - I'm not a fan of poodles (can't explain why and nothing against them - just don't appeal to me) and I think the whole explosion of DD's has not been a good thing in so many ways.

I know Labs - the good and the bad and to match that with a much smarter dog scares me a bit!! One of the main things that has made my Labs manageable is that they aren't the smartest tools in the shed :laugh:

Didn't know the extra point about the epilepsy - thanks Dogmad.

I'm really pleased and relieved that my SIL has asked for my help/advice and trying oh so carefully to help her make the right choice she won't regret - we don't want another dog to end up in a shelter out of stupidity/naivety :(

I've seen many "labradoodles" over the years. We've seen quite a few go through rescue (and Golden Retriever/poodles). They range quite vastly in temperament and coat type. A friend has one who is a lovely dog, poodle coat, a genuinely kind and easy dog. Another has a rather large one but it has hip dysplaysia and not able to do much, she has a poodle type coat but it is very coarse (bit like steel wool). A person at dog club had two large ones that were similar to the one previously mentioned but both were very dog aggressive with poorly kept coats. I've seen several others that have more a "scruffy" coat, bit like a wolfhound look and they tended to shed and one that had short hair with little white spikes of hair that came out all over the place a bit like a toothbrush. Of these, most were VERY ACTIVE and very intelligent. Of those that had training and were given a job to do (obedience, agility, etc) they were great, the others were ratbags. Most of the ones that I've seen in rescue have been more the ratbag variety, more like the hypo lab that is untrained, where they like to paint you with their paws and can be mouthy. In the right home they can be lovely dogs, in the wrong home they can be a nightmare. Interestingly, most people that I spoke to where it was their first lab/poodle, they didn't expect them to be so active.

At least your family are on a bit of land, so as long as they are prepared to put in training and look after their coats, they should be fine.

We have had 3 Labrador x Poodles come through our shelter in the past couple of months, the last one being rehomed a couple of days ago, so they are definitely out there.

All had different coats but all 3 of them have been super boisterous, crazy dogs who did not have an off switch!

It is unlikely that the labradoodles in rescue will be the best examples of this type of dog. They may need some rehabilitation.

You may want to give some thought to that issue. By narrowing the field that much, she may not make the right selection for her.

A puppy from a conscientious breeder may actually be a better way to go.

I know a lot of people object to the existence of these breeders, but I think the more important consideration needs to be what your family wants in a dog, then find a dog that matches those criteria and has been carefully bred and raised.

BTW a poodle coat on a property can be hard to care for. Grass seeds and prickles really stick to curly coats. Not the ideal coat for most SA properties really, unless they are willing to do a fair bit of grooming. It is not just a cosmetic issue as many people believe. It is a very important health issue. You have to brush, clip, pluck ear hair, be very careful indeed about grass seeds, the list goes on...Something they will need to consider carefully before deciding.

Edited by Zug Zug

We have at least 6 i can think of around here, and the common thing........they are crazy, all seem to be on speed! :laugh:

Really i have never met such full on dogs, all different sizes, and colours, and not one which i could live with.

They are all very loving sweet dogs, and all very submissive, one very nervous.