August Challenge

tlc

cool to see a monthly challenge

came back to dol to visit off topic and find out if anyone has any experience with caring for people with dementia, found nothing particularly useful, but got distracted over here ;)

I'm not sure if I've learnt much since last I was here and posting often, just been doing the same old same old stuff, not progressing very much with photography, getting lost in flickr-land lol, still taking lots of photos, just nothing extra special, I did get a manual SLR film camera which has been challenging

this shot I took earlier this month with the canon 50D, lens 50mm f/1.4 @ f/9.0 s/s 1/100 ISO3200 - it was a bit of an experiment for me, I usually shoot wide-open or very close, I like it ... only really works this close, eliminating most of the background

handsome Saxon

7723867174_7962b7c388_z.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheer: Clicking mad so nice to see you back, I miss your photos and your gorgeous doggies, Saxon is lovely and looks like he has grown so much! Beautiful shot.

Huga lovely shot of the little girl.

One from me, I have just got the Canon 40mm so only had a chance to take a few shots before and after work today.

file-63.jpg

Edited by tlc

Thanks, I think I have been over posting. :laugh: I just got a Canon 7D and its been a bit of a learning curve, lots to learn and a much heavier bigger camera than the Nikon D80. I think I have figured out today that while I thought I had a reasonably steady hand It appears in a lot of shots I took tonight that I don't, I noticed this as the lights were reflected in the dogs eyes and when I looked at the pics 1.1 I noticed the lights were trailing, not all but some so I know its not the camera its me. :laugh:

Good so far, only snapped a few pics so far, seems a bit sharper but to be honest I haven't really had a good go at the 50mm, the build of the lens is better, I only have the 50mm 1.8 so it is a bit plastic. :laugh: I popped some pics in the pancake thread that Kirislin started a while ago. It good to be able to be a bit closer to the subject, better for inside too.

yeh tlc, I get the this-camera-is-too-heavy-shakes with the 50D and a heavy lens, particularly in the late afternoons at the dog park that I like the light best, I just shoot a lot to compensate what's huga said: "spray and pray" lol

thanks snook :) nice ones of your fella in his pj's from earlier in the month, the colours are great!

Im glad Im not the only one, I for some reason thought a heavier camera would be the opposite but seems thats not the case, and also explains why my focus is hit an miss at times when It hasn't been in the past.

I'm hoping once I get more used to the camera I will get steadier, the 7D has a very deep shutter, so I'm finding when I press the shutter button that's when I inadvertently move the camera. :(

Hi CM, always lovely when you pop back in :D

Huga, is that the 105mm micro lens you're talkIng about?

Yep:

http://camerapro.net.au/nikon-micro-105mm-f28g-year-genuine-nikon-australia-warranty-stock-p-172.html

I just got this lens yesterday but wasn't aware of any focusing issues with it. It surprises me that a macro lens would have issues focusing wide open. Hopefully I'll get to have a play with it today and see how it goes. I did a couple of test shots last night at f2.8 with the flash on and it was fine but really hoping it's not a hit and miss lens. :(

Oh you got it?! That's cool. I do love it. The focus issues were known when I bought it, perhaps it's been corrected since then? I bought it around 2 years ago.

tlc, make sure your shutter speed is always higher than your focal length when hand holding, especially at longer lengths. A bit of weight is good to help steady your hands, but sometimes it's just too heavy. I've been wondering if someone has invented a set up where your camera can sit on something that uses your body as a brace, something more steady than doing it with arms. Would look quite silly though :laugh:

Has anyone tried shooting TAv? I'm going to give it a try for action shots.

I'm not 100% about the Nikon 105 macro, but just be aware that when using it for portraits of women in particular that it can be too sharp, even wide open. The Canon 60mm is like this - a fabulous lens for portraits sometimes but you have to be oh so careful - and to a lesser extent the Canon 100mm can be, too.

Very few women want to know every minute detail of their faces LOL

tlc, make sure your shutter speed is always higher than your focal length when hand holding, especially at longer lengths. A bit of weight is good to help steady your hands, but sometimes it's just too heavy. I've been wondering if someone has invented a set up where your camera can sit on something that uses your body as a brace, something more steady than doing it with arms. Would look quite silly though :laugh:

Has anyone tried shooting TAv? I'm going to give it a try for action shots.

Thanks Jo, and great idea I can imagine a tripod mounted to a belt around your middle coming up to your eye level. :laugh: That would be awesome!

What's TAv? Do you mean full manual?

Snook look forward to some shots with your new baby!

TAv is you set your aperture and shutter and let the ISO float. I usually stick with Av because I most often did portraits but doing the action shots now requires a certain minimum shutter speed. I was dragging the ISO down when I could but it meant fiddling around as the light changed. So this seems to be a good mode for fast movement shots.

Finally got a chance to edit some pics this weekend so thought I'd pop some in here :) The colour looks a bit dull in Flickr when I view them on my iPad - really time to get a decent pc and monitor for editing.

My AV ones first - C&C welcome as always :)

7830566898_0fca4d302d_z.jpg

7830566492_984e1dcfd9_z.jpg

7830566102_0b12d781bd_z.jpg

7830565156_7712ce8fb7_z.jpg

Edited by CrazyCresties

And now the TV ones - I use AV 90% of the time, so good to get some practice with TV :)

Taken with my 60mm Macro as that was on the camera at the time :laugh:

7830566302_f22a771151_z.jpg

And some Bees in Flight, fast little buggers :laugh:

7830565844_fb0ee14bfc_z.jpg

7830565616_a5237344f0_z.jpg

7830565362_a7f8aa815d_z.jpg

Edited by CrazyCresties