Alternatives To Brisket Bones

I give our dogs bones every morning and a variety of other things at night. They share a turkey neck and chicken frame for two meals, chicken wings (Sam JRT sometimes has a drumstick) for two meals, chicken necks for one meal, and oxtails and /or brisket bones for the other two meals. I get disappointed with the brisket bones because often they are big and chunky with hardly any meat on them. We have a JRT and a smaller terrier mix so the big chunky bones is too hard for the latter and I usually cut them up with a small saw.

What other meaty bones are there? I think they have enough chicken.

Mine get lamb shanks sometimes (although probably not in the budget for everyone, everyday ;)

My local Woolies sells "soup bones" in the dog food section, they are beef and I have no idea what they actually are but my guys love them and they have a decent amount of meat on them, and in weird shapes so they have to work at them. I'm vegetarian so I have no clue about the technical names of meat stuff :confused:

I get the Coles bag of lamb offcuts too. I try to get the ones with mainly ribs, these are the best for my dogs. I find that the local butchers aren't reliable in what kind of bones they offer so the Coles bags are easiest.

Mine get lamb shanks sometimes (although probably not in the budget for everyone, everyday ;)

My local Woolies sells "soup bones" in the dog food section, they are beef and I have no idea what they actually are but my guys love them and they have a decent amount of meat on them, and in weird shapes so they have to work at them. I'm vegetarian so I have no clue about the technical names of meat stuff :confused:

MM these are the bones that my guys get too - great size for he littlies and has a good amount of meat. Yes Sam apart from these getting good meaty bones does seem to be getting harder.

MM these are the bones that my guys get too - great size for he littlies and has a good amount of meat. Yes Sam apart from these getting good meaty bones does seem to be getting harder.

These are beef neck bones & lately I have been having trouble getting them to make my soup. Sometimes my dogs get them for a change from turkey necks, but I confine them when eating as I like to put the last bit in the bin .... I am worried they might choke or get a blockage from them.

Thanks for all the replies. Re the soup bones can it be all chewed up or is some always left? Are they suitable for small dogs?

I find the beef soup bones too hard and inclined to chip teeth. Lamb neck would be my pick for smaller dogs and they can chew it all up.

I saw beef tails in woolies last night, would they be suitable?

What sized dog? Ox tail bones can be quite small so a bigger dog can easily swallow one - or try. IMO they're too good for dogs, make awesome casserole!

I like the lamb offcuts from the supermarket for mine, or our butcher sells "doggy chops" which are the same thing but usually more meaty and often a mix of species.

Mine love pig trotters and eat the whole thing - but pork is a rich meat, so watch out for the after-burners :laugh:

I saw beef tails in woolies last night, would they be suitable?

What sized dog? Ox tail bones can be quite small so a bigger dog can easily swallow one - or try. IMO they're too good for dogs, make awesome casserole!

I like the lamb offcuts from the supermarket for mine, or our butcher sells "doggy chops" which are the same thing but usually more meaty and often a mix of species.

Mine love pig trotters and eat the whole thing - but pork is a rich meat, so watch out for the after-burners :laugh:

I have teeny dogs - pugs (one 4 month old and one almost full grown at 10 months). I'm vegetarian, so really unadventurous in what I buy them because I don't know what is suitable! They get chicken wings, necks, frames and feet and would probably kill for a different animal every now and then :p

I often seen lamb offcuts in Woolies, but they don't appear to have bones in them, or they look like they are soft bones? So I don't really know about those. They get lamb shanks sometimes, when I need a few hours to myself.

Edited by minimax