Decisions Decisions

As some of you may know, I was a little sceptical about purchasing a pom from a breeder due to reasons outlined in another thread. The breeder has sent me another photo of the pup as well as a video and we have spoken at length this arvo and I feel far more confident now. Before ever speaking to this breeder, I was debating between a Japanese Spitz or a pom. As it happens, I am very keen on this pom puppy but there is a japanese spitz breeder only 10 mins away that has 3 pups to sell, they are gorgeous. I am torn and don't know which way to go. I have had a japanese spitz before, he passed away 4 years ago, he was 16 yo. I have also owned a pom and had him till he passed away at 14 years of age. I need to make a decision and as I love both breeds I just don't know which way to go. PLEASE HELP, I have never been so indecisive in my life.

Edited by Perfumed Lillium

Guest donatella

It's down to personal choice really. They're much of a muchness, both Spitz, one is just bigger then the other, the Pom probably being more vocal (i'm guessing) but you'd know all this having owned both breeds.

Might be safer to go with the Jap spitz if you can visit the breeder and have them at closer proximity should you need advice from them? That would be one pro towards the Jap Spitz.

Edited by donatella

Does the Jap Spitz breeder successfully show their dogs? If not I would probably avoid them. There are a lot of shonky JS breeders breeding very poor quality dogs.

Other than that ir comes down to size choice. There is a big difference in size as you know.

So the Spitz is from a family just breeding their dogs every year? So no idea if they are good example's of breed, healthy etc?

I do understand where you are comming from, buying from reg breeders is not fool proof either,and you may get a perfectly good byb one.

Hard call, go and look at them.

Seems you have been very unlucky in the past. Go to a Jap spitz breeder who health tests their dogs for anything you are personally oncerned about, Im sure you have looked into what they are prone to by now? I wouldnt buy from that Jap spitz breeder and is the pom puppy you posted a pick of from a registered breeder???? if not I would avoid them too! No papers means you might actually be getting a jap spitz x jap spitz cross and on the off chances both parents are registered but on limited register well they could be on limited reg for a reason and werent sold to be bred with.

Seems you have been very unlucky in the past. Go to a Jap spitz breeder who health tests their dogs for anything you are personally oncerned about, Im sure you have looked into what they are prone to by now? I wouldnt buy from that Jap spitz breeder and is the pom puppy you posted a pick of from a registered breeder???? if not I would avoid them too! No papers means you might actually be getting a jap spitz x jap spitz cross and on the off chances both parents are registered but on limited register well they could be on limited reg for a reason and werent sold to be bred with.

Jap Spitz have no specific health checks apart from a competant vet checking patellas and hearts at the normal puppy check but good registered breeders know what lurks in their lines even if their is no specific testing available. They are a pretty healthy breed generally but bad temperaments are a real problem in badly bred ones and with an unregistered breeder you have no idea how inbred the puppies are because you have no proof of pedigree or even if they are purebred. They are a breed favoured by BYB so please do not encourage another one.

If you go to the puppy thread and read the one about the Sick Border Collie puppy you will see what can happen when someone just decides to breed a litter a year from their dogs. If you want a purebred dog then get a proper registered purebred one from a decent breeder who is recommended and knows what they are doing. Breeding healthy purebred dogs is not easy, unregistered purebreds are the greatest risk of getting an unhealthy dog and you would be better off with a crossbred or mongrel than an unregistered purebred.

In the other thread you were concerned about the poms meeting breed standards and the breeder being ethical confused.gif If you go to a byb you are less likely to get the standard - may not even get purebred despite the promises.

Edited by Cat

I wouldn't get the BYB puppy , I would never support them . Your choice though if you want to risk a pup with no health testing..

I understand your point of view but as I've said before, I haven't had much luck with registered breeders either and some of them are byb with papers, I suppose it's a bit like playing russian roulette...it's the luck of the drawer. I applaud those that health check their breeding dogs, kudos to them.

It's not really a gamble if you're patient, research the lines of dogs you want and finding a breeder that you trust.

If you're tossing it up (and starting these threads is a good sign that you're hesitating) pass on the puppy this time and wait until everything feels right with your instincts.

It's not really a gamble if you're patient, research the lines of dogs you want and finding a breeder that you trust.

If you're tossing it up (and starting these threads is a good sign that you're hesitating) pass on the puppy this time and wait until everything feels right with your instincts.

Exactly.

I waited years for a dog from the right breeder and I couldn't be happier.

From your posts it sounds like you want one now and aren't really willing to wait for the right puppy to come along (I'm sorry if this isn't the case).

I could never recommend a BYB. One of my first dogs was from one ad she died from a genetic condition at 10 weeks old, it was the most horrible thing I have ever had to see.

Please wait and find the right breeder who does all the relevant health tests.