Stillborn Puppies

Romana

Hello, I hope someone can give fast advice: A friend just called me - her White Shepherd girl is just in the process of giving birth to her first puppies. The first one was born fully developed but dead, last night short after 9pm. Between midnight and noon, three healthy living puppies were born, plus 3 dead ones, who were obviously not fully developed and were covered in a black substance, especially their mouths and tongues were totally black (not light pink as it should be) and the black colour was inside the gums and flesh, couldn't be washed off like from the coat. Does anyone have an idea what that could be? My friend doesn't want to call the vet yet, as there may be some more pups to come and she doesn't want to interrupt the natural process. It is their first litter. I hope that someone may have a quick answer!?

Edited by Romana

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem has been resolved, thank you for your answers - I actually just called my own vet (I am a breeder and have faster and cheaper access to vets than my mentoree) and my vet said that it can be quite 'normal' especially in large breeds that they have one or a few stillborn puppies in their litters, and also that birth giving can take quite a long time. (As far as I know the young mother hasn't had any contractions any more for the last two+ hours, so it seems to be over).

"As long as the bitch behaves normally and does not show any signs of distress and will eat well and not have any unusual discharge from her vulva in the next few days, which needs to be monitored carefully," the vet says, "there is no need for medical action."

"As long as the bitch behaves normally and does not show any signs of distress and will eat well and not have any unusual discharge from her vulva in the next few days, which needs to be monitored carefully," the vet says, "there is no need for medical action."

Oh ?

So, no post whelping check of bitch & whelps is to be done at all ? I thought that was routine ..(or, it always used to be, :o)...especially after still births with an unknown cause , and a first litter .

The problem has been resolved, thank you for your answers - I actually just called my own vet (I am a breeder and have faster and cheaper access to vets than my mentoree) and my vet said that it can be quite 'normal' especially in large breeds that they have one or a few stillborn puppies in their litters, and also that birth giving can take quite a long time. (As far as I know the young mother hasn't had any contractions any more for the last two+ hours, so it seems to be over).

She's been birthing since 9.30pm in her first litter and the vet doesn't even want to look at her? :o

I'd be getting them checked out as well..

Not to be negative but if your mentoree hadn't got the money for a vet check she probably shouldn't be breeding period.. It's important for the bitch and pups to have access to vetinary care..

I just hope for her sake it's nothing too major

I will definitely recommend a vet check in the next few days. Better once too many than one too few.

Not meaning to sound smart ..

but today would be a more appropriate time for a post whelp check ..to palpate the abdomen, and check for retained foetuses/placentas ..to see the discharge , to check bitch's general health , to examine a stillborn and make a tentative diagnosis, and to examine thoroughly the babies to rule out any deformities/inhaled fluid etc.

half the litter born dead and the vet doesnt see it as an issue? I would be finding another vet. Something is not right between the length of whelping and the amount of stillborn is a bad sign right there.

Just remember to let your mentoree know that the natural process has some nasty outcomes, and if you want live healthy dogs you need to intervene.

half the litter born dead and the vet doesnt see it as an issue? I would be finding another vet.

*nods* that's a bit scary, actually ........

And the supposedly experienced breeder also doesn't see an issue with it???