Toilet Training

Dlaire

Hi! Can anyone give me some tips on toilet training my puppies? They are 9 week old Aussie Terriers. I take them out fairly regularly, after naps, plays, food. I reward them with praise when they do go. I guess I'd like to know when I can expect that will get it. Thanks

It's different for all puppies. Mine seemed to finally click at about 4 months (female) but my male is taking longer. I train mine to pee on command, and that seems to make life a bit easier in the toilet training department. Also, mine don't respond to praise nearly as much as food rewards!

I guess I'd like to know when I can expect that will get it. Thanks

go up to the 'search' button ..and type in "toilet training' or 'house training ' There are lots of threads which will be full of info you can try :)

Puppies usually are not really reliable for some months ..their bodies are not built for hanging on when they are babies.

Well I guess it depends on the amount of effort you put in, as well as the individual puppy.

Depending on the puppy and upbringing, Id say its reasonable for the puppy to start "getting it" at 3-4 months but still not be totally reliable.

I would worry and seek extra help if the puppy wasn't around 90% reliable at 6 months.

Depends on the effort & whether they have access outside or reliant solely on humans letting them in/out.

Our pups learn the doggy door from 6 weeks so our pups go to there new homes understanding outside is for toilets but we still keep on top of them because when they play they can get distracted so outside with a Toilet word is done alot

Our pup is now 5.5 months old and he's got it with urination and mostly with bowels but there is the odd occasion that he forgets himself and dirties in the house even though the door is always open for him to go out. He can be in his crate overnight from about 10.30 - 11pm till 7.30am and when I let him out, weeing is not his first priority. He's more interested in saying his good mornings to his 'big brother.' I've had dogs most of my life and must say it depends on the individual dog but thankfully, it all falls into place eventually.

I'm happy to send you my method but puppies take a lot longer - you just need to keep being patient and consistent, keeping up the rewards and praise.

PM your email address to me and I'll email the method back, it's written for adult dogs but you can use it for puppies too - and Italian Greyhounds but they take longer as well! :)

I have a question on this too!

RE; Pee pads.

The pee pads are wonderful things, do your dogs go outdoors now or do you still have the piddle pads handy?

I used them with mum's shih-tzu when I lived at home and she goes out now, though it was a battle to convince her to initially, but even at 4 years old if she's stuck and busting she will go either where the pee pad used to be (keep in mind it was there for all of about 6 months) or on the bathmat, which is a similar texture, not a big deal by any stretch, but just curious to see if you had a hard time training for pee pads to grass, a few people say you shouldn't bother with them at all, as they get a bit dependant, just curious what everyone here has found?

How easy was the transition from pad/paper to grass?