Would You Encourage This

twodoggies2001

Yesterday, whilst driving back from the park with my boys, I stopped at the traffic lights next to a cafe and noticed a couple of women having coffee with their dogs at their feet. Nothing unusual in that. One lady had an absolutely gorgeous French Bulldog who was just happily sitting by her feet. She then picked him/her up and started feeding him her coffee off a spoon, one for her and one for the dog. As much as I love my boys, for me that is a no no. A dog is a dog is a dog. If she thinks it's OK, then that's her business but that spoon goes back into the cafe, hopefully well washed for another customer and really, this was not a good look for anyone who happened to notice. I feel that if her coffee has to be shared then by all means feed it at home.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never give my dog coffee, or any caffiene, regardless if it was off my spoon or not!

But no, I'm not a huge fan of sharing utensils with my dogs. And definetly not picking them up and bringing them to the table. I'll give them bits of my toast under the table sometimes though, because they love vegemite toast lol

Defiantly wouldn't encourage - in the home feeding your dog from the table encourages them to beg at the table which on its own is really annoying... trying to eat with *the eyes*, if I want to give the dog something from the table - he has to wait till we are done with our meal (provided he wasn't doing the begging mooching please give me some thing) - Ill get up and put it on the floor or in his bowl when we are done with our meal.

And he certainly wouldn't be getting coffee! - and then there is the subject of this was in public, using a restaurants utensils... you HOPE they are washed really well. (well i am more scared of catching something from a human than a dog!)

A bit of dog slobber mightn't bother me - but this woman is just vindicating all of those anti dog in outdoor eating area people. We try to do the right thing, have a quiet dog that doesn't disturb anyone else, but most certainly shouldn't be at the table in a cafe.

A public picnic table is another matter all together, when its my food my stuff and im not invading someone elses spot then i dont see the problem - its not like the council is steam disinfecting those tables or removing the bird poop daily.

I just can't help but feel we're all a bit precious here in Australia. I much prefer the European model (France in particular) where all sorts of dogs are in all sorts of places and no-one is shocked or horrified.

It wouldn't have worried me at all seeing that. I personally wouldn't feed my dogs caffeine and they're too big to sit on my lap but if someone else wants to do that, then go for it. All utensils are put through the dishwasher, so there's no hygiene issues.

I enjoy being at a cafe with my dog and I enjoy seeing others doing the same. I much rather see examples of people loving (or even over-loving) their dogs than instances of cruelty and neglect.

I just can't help but feel we're all a bit precious here in Australia. I much prefer the European model (France in particular) where all sorts of dogs are in all sorts of places and no-one is shocked or horrified.

It wouldn't have worried me at all seeing that. I personally wouldn't feed my dogs caffeine and they're too big to sit on my lap but if someone else wants to do that, then go for it. All utensils are put through the dishwasher, so there's no hygiene issues.

I enjoy being at a cafe with my dog and I enjoy seeing others doing the same. I much rather see examples of people loving (or even over-loving) their dogs than instances of cruelty and neglect.

sorry, I beg to differ. Sure, it's OK to have your dog with you at the outdoors cafe, and just because I or many others wouldn't feed their companions as this woman did, doesn't mean that I or they love their dogs any less. I don't think its being precious. There are many non dog people out there and for one, seeing people doing what this woman did would give them another reason to bag dog owners. I wonder if the cafe owner saw what was happening would be pleased. It could be detremental to the business. Perhaps she is being neglectful in feeding her dog what is bad for him/her.

Be that as it may, there are plenty of people that want dogs in as few public places as possible, and this woman is giving them ammunition IMO :(

Edit: snap twodoggies :)

Edited by Weasels

Im more worried that she is giving her dog coffee!

Granted, the OP was just driving past. There could have been anything in the cup.

The OP said coffee in their post and they didnt also seem concerned that it COULD be coffee but instead that theres dog spit on th spoon.

Regardless of what it was, the OP wasnt concerned that it could be coffee, and I was commenting as to thats what I would be worried about.

Yesterday, whilst driving back from the park with my boys, I stopped at the traffic lights next to a cafe and noticed a couple of women having coffee with their dogs at their feet. Nothing unusual in that. One lady had an absolutely gorgeous French Bulldog who was just happily sitting by her feet. She then picked him/her up and started feeding him her coffee off a spoon, one for her and one for the dog. As much as I love my boys, for me that is a no no. A dog is a dog is a dog. If she thinks it's OK, then that's her business but that spoon goes back into the cafe, hopefully well washed for another customer and really, this was not a good look for anyone who happened to notice. I feel that if her coffee has to be shared then by all means feed it at home.

How fantastic, a dog day out, and catching up with friends for something to eat and drink -

sounds like a perfect day :walkdog:

Oh so she used the utensils, I can live with that.

Might not want to eat with that, but if I saw a scene like this it would make me smile; I wouldn't notice the utensil faux pas.

Got to love dogs and their people :)

Edited by lilli

How fantastic, a dog day out, and catching up with friends for something to eat and drink -

sounds like a perfect day :walkdog:

Oh so she used the utensils, I can live with that.

Might not want to eat with that, but if I saw a scene like this it would make me smile; I wouldn't notice the utensil faux pas.

Got to love dogs and their people :)

Me either! I wouldn't notice, and if I did I'd probably smile and .. not worry about it..

:) maybe it was a babychino ?

A cafe we go to does a puppycino.....soy milk with liver sprinkles :) (no coffee).

I don't have a problem with it personally but I can understand why others would.

Having said that I wouldnt give my dog any type of caffeine.

Granted, the OP was just driving past. There could have been anything in the cup.

The OP said coffee in their post and they didnt also seem concerned that it COULD be coffee but instead that theres dog spit on th spoon.

Regardless of what it was, the OP wasnt concerned that it could be coffee, and I was commenting as to thats what I would be worried about.

It's her dog,and she can feed him/her whatever she wants. It's also not so much about dog spit either, although hygiene should play a part. The point is that as I said before, there are many non dog people out there and they would cringe at seeing what she was doing. It's hard enough trying to exercise dogs legally, off leash, (I know, many of you don't like this idea either) without having to have some nitwit add more fuel to the fire to the anti dog people.

It's her dog,and she can feed him/her whatever she wants. It's also not so much about dog spit either, although hygiene should play a part. The point is that as I said before, there are many non dog people out there and they would cringe at seeing what she was doing. It's hard enough trying to exercise dogs legally, off leash, (I know, many of you don't like this idea either) without having to have some nitwit add more fuel to the fire to the anti dog people.

Caffine is really bad for dogs.

Technically, she had her dog on a lap outside at a cafe ... I'm not sure she was doing anything wrong!