Please Help

Chocolatelover

Can anyone recommend a good vet? Something is terribly wrong with my labrador, Tazer. Took him to the emergency vet last night, did X-rays and gave him pain relief and enema and said he was "possibly" constipated. But this morning he is miserable, can barely walk and is whimpering continually. I would prefer to try a different vet with different ideas but we haven't been to one here yet. I am beside myself that we are going to lose him. Been through it twice and can't do it again. Anyone know a good vet open on a Saturday who would see us?

Thank you :)

I ended up googling so we could be waiting when the doors opened and came up with Canberra Vet Hospital. They kept him to run some blood tests but they are not sure :( Just need to be patient now I guess.

Edited by Chocolatelover

Well $800 later still don't know what is wrong. We picked him up at 5 - bloods mostly ok and given anti-inflammatories for five days. Now he just whimpers constantly and is restless and won't settle, it is breaking my heart :( The vet said to bring him back after five days if he is still uncomfortable but I don't think I could stand five days of this!! I want to help him so much but don't know what to do for him. He seems in so much pain. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do for him? Can hip dysplasia come on so acutely?

K9angel - no hasn't pooed yet after his dinner and not weeing as much as usual either. He keeps wanting to go out, then in, then out - can't make up his mind. Still whimpering constantly too. My husband is sleeping downstairs with him cause we have narrow stairs and don't want him going up and down In case it is his back. I just came upstairs to see if he will settle once all the lights are out.

We thought of a tick last night as he seemed quite disorientated and wobbly in his hind legs. Felt him all over. I hate this feeling when you know something isn't right but don't know what it is. Our last pup was only four months old, took him to emergency vet late at night after he jumped off the couch and yelped, they sent him home with a pain shot, took him back next morning and he died six hours later from fluid on the lungs. Our two year old lab before that, the kids found him dead one morning on his bed. Autopsy showed congenital heart condition and he was apparently a "ticking time bomb" :( I was only thinking how lucky we had been with Tazer the other day that he had made it past the three year mark!! I really couldn't bear anything happen to him - and I don't want him to suffer any pain.

I am thinking either he hurt his spine/hips or possibly something stuck in his bowel. He ate his dinner Ok and no vomiting or drooling so probably the former. Maybe I just need to insist on some hip and spinal X-rays.

Sorry for long post. Feel so helpless and obviously thinking the worst :(

Thanks for the suggestions - definitely in need of another opinion.

Edited by Chocolatelover

You mean the way they bow down with their front paws whe sticking their bum in the air???? He does that quite al lot normally but not since he has been uncomfortable. It seems like it takes him a while to psych himself into lying down, hence the restlessness.

You mean the way they bow down with their front paws while sticking their bum in the air???? He does that quite al lot normally but not since he has been uncomfortable. It seems like it takes him a while to psych himself into lying down, hence the restlessness.