The Consent Test

Weasels

I have had so many people try to pat my big boy, even when it's obvious he's trying to avoid them. I don't know how many times I've had to tell people to let him approach them and if he doesn't they shouldn't take it personally. They just want to pat all the dogs.

and my JRT is more like this

FUtMttmhJkK2_ok1UuSf2g2.jpg

Edited by mixeduppup

I haven't watched the video but I can tell you anyway, Jonty & Whisper will scunge pats & cuddles all day from anyone willing to keep patting :laugh: .

Jarrah, my kelpie, only wants pats from me if we aren't working. As soon as he switches into drive patting becomes something to be avoided, he will duck away if he possibly can & his body language is perfectly clear - patting is not what he wants! He doesn't like pats from other people at any time, he's just not interested in other people - well unless they have a toy or food :laugh: .

Mine love pats and paw at my hand if I take my hand away, or push their face into my hand.

However my goldy does a funny thing when being patted. If she is sitting she would sit sideways and offer her profile. It can be perceived as a head turn except that the moment I take my hand away she shoves her face in my hand and paws till I start petting her again.

WOW – that video is an eye opener!!

I haven’t done this test with my Frenchie yet but I certainly know what she will do. She is a very confident and extremely independent dog who now I know doesn’t like to be patted unless she is being sooky or is tired. She is still quite young and would prefer to play than get patted.

When I give her pats, she does the head turn but sits there and accepts the pat. I now know she is doing it because she thinks she has to because she is quite obedient and I was giving her a good pat thinking she was enjoying it.

Thanks for posting that! Its very interesting.

Glad it was helpful :) I've had trouble like that with Weez too, initially I was a bit in denial (because our other dog is a massive pat addict!), then I was worried he disliked all pats and he was just suffereing through them for our sake :( But I'm getting much better and picking up that sometimes he wants pats and sometimes he doesnt, and figuring out which is which :)

One of my dogs always used to give me those 'no consent' signals but I was somewhat oblivious and continued to pat and scratch him but these days he loves being patted and scratched and now always gives those consent signals. :shrug: