The Consent Test

Weasels

My boy often has conflicted body language around people and I struggle to read him sometimes. So I've been trying out this 'consent test' (obvious in retrospect!) on him and come up with a resounding: sometimes.

The little foxdog on the other hand, will not leave any doubt when she feels the humans haven't reached their pat quota :laugh:

So - does your dog really want to be patted?

haha spray cheese always makes me laugh ... ahem

Yeah it's really good isn't it. I do something similar:

My boy Digby can lack confidence in social situations. When people on our walks ask if they can give him a pat I say well 'let's ask Digby' and I ask them to stand still and call him over, that way he can choose whether to go over to them or not. He usually does choose to go over to them and he enjoys the interaction more than if he has no choice.

But you know I might try doing that test with him with us as I haven't done that before.

Both my two are a yes :laugh:. If I stop with Mo he paws me, Lili will come over if I stop with her and torture me for more :laugh:

Although she is very wary of strangers and generally prefers not to be petted by people she doesn't know unless they are in our home as visitors. Mo couldn't care less who it is, it's a pat!

You'd have trouble keeping my Samoyeds out of your lap sitting on the floor in front of them like that. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Same with my Lucy. If anyone is sitting down on the floor she thinks it an invitation to come & sit in the said lap!

My dog is more like the first dog in the video.

He is especially evasive with strangers. He is happy and friendly in his body language but just not keen on pats from others, especially his head. Most people don't understand, they see his big squishy face and seem to instinctively want to pat him. :o

The contact he seems to enjoy is chest/side pats, sleeping near me, and interacting through play. If a visitor offers him a toy, he's all theirs!

You'd have trouble keeping my Samoyeds out of your lap sitting on the floor in front of them like that. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Same with my Lucy. If anyone is sitting down on the floor she thinks it an invitation to come & sit in the said lap!

Ditto for Dory. You only have to look at her and it's, "YES, YES, YES!!!" (Not so much with complete strangers, but once she gets to know you enough to manipulate you, she is postively pestful for pats).

Great Vid btw! I had to watch it with the sound off, and it's pretty clear.

Yah, I'm pretty sure Chess believes that as long as we are at home and awake that there's no reason we shouldn't be either patting her or throwing a ball :laugh:

My dog is more like the first dog in the video.

He is especially evasive with strangers. He is happy and friendly in his body language but just not keen on pats from others, especially his head. Most people don't understand, they see his big squishy face and seem to instinctively want to pat him. :o

The contact he seems to enjoy is chest/side pats, sleeping near me, and interacting through play. If a visitor offers him a toy, he's all theirs!

I think most of the Boxers I've met have been like that Trina :) If I'm not too sure about a dog that's not mine I generally go for butt-rubs, if they lean into me it's patapalooza, if they move away then that's cool too :)

When people on our walks ask if they can give him a pat I say well 'let's ask Digby' and I ask them to stand still and call him over, that way he can choose whether to go over to them or not.

I think that's a great idea, I'm never quite sure what to say when someone asks if they can pat my dogs because sometimes they're cool and sometimes they won't stay still and want to go run instead :)

WOW that video is an eye opener!!

I havent done this test with my Frenchie yet but I certainly know what she will do. She is a very confident and extremely independent dog who now I know doesnt like to be patted unless she is being sooky or is tired. She is still quite young and would prefer to play than get patted.

When I give her pats, she does the head turn but sits there and accepts the pat. I now know she is doing it because she thinks she has to because she is quite obedient and I was giving her a good pat thinking she was enjoying it.

Thanks for posting that! Its very interesting.

Edited by Sares

I have had occasions when kids have rushed up to my dog. I make them stop and stay still. Then tell them they must let the dog go to them as they are frightening her.

Some parents deserve a mouthful for letting kids loose without teaching them this stuff. Unfortunately, it was the kids that got the mouthful! At least two kids would have been bite victims if my dogs had not been able to get away from them! :mad

I always leave dogs to get used to me and approach me when they are ready. Some actually rush up and make friends before I am ready! :laugh: One actually grabbed my hand to lead me into the house. I got a fright until I realised it was not actually a bite but a friendly gesture. Amazing dog that one.