How Did You Choose Your Breed/s?

whitka

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Childhood dream dog that was based on looks. Finally got my long-awaited Lab as an adult and am very lucky they turned out to suit me wonderfully. Is the breed I shall stick with! (though I think a few other breeds may sneak in along the way for a bit of variety, if room allows! These are based on a combination of looks and trainability for dog sports - I wouldn't get a(nother) dog based purely on looks! They have to fit in with my lifestyle).

Edited by RubyStar

I grew up with Dobermans as our family pets and I was always drawn to their devotion and intense relationships they have with their chosen person.

We also now have a Australasian Bosdog (Aussie Bulldog) and this is now our breed of choice. She is the happiest, easiest dog I've ever owned and is such a source of pride and joy to our entire family, not to mention she is so adorable and her requiremenTs are much more suited to our current lifestyle.

i always said i would only have a SBT and a Bull Terrier.

We are talking about getting another dog towards the end of next year, im looking at a Frenchie, Brit Bulldog or a Rottie.... not sure who would fit in better so i have a lot of research to do. Im in love with the bullys but dont think i am set up enough to have a dog that can have issues with the heat... and who knows, another breed may jump on my list!

I know a Rottie breeder in town and LOVE her dogs, she wont be breeding for at least 18 months and if i get a Rottie, its going to be from her.

I always saw myself with a BC when I was growing up, but having the meanest parents ever ( :laugh: ) we weren't allowed to have dogs when I was young.

Then I sort of accidentally ended up with a BC when I was about 31 or 32 I think, and that was my first dog Emma who was 9 years old when I got her. Am now addicted to the breed as often seems to happen. I can't see myself with any other breed because I'm really happy with my 2 little terrors!!! I keep trying to figure out another breed I would own, but I'm struggling with it. I love basically everything about BC's. If I did get another breed I'd probably choose something smaller. But the closest I've come so far to finding another breed I really quite like is the Aussie Shepherds, but I still like BC's better!

Husband got a staffy as when he meet one it ran up to him jumped on him and knocked him over.... He decided he must have one, so we got one from the pound.

I just like a breed I can carry and cuddle so I got a bitza the staffy liked.

Neither very thought out but worked out quite well. Since I am more mature I want a Scotty but we will only ever have rescues so they will be fosters we decide to keep, best way to find the right dog IMO

I wanted a dog that could be around the horses safely, a dog which could look after itself, trainable and come out on horse rides with us. I like a bit of spark and attitude.

I like to do things different to the majority, so that ruled out a BC. It came down to a Kelpie or the ACD's and I liked the laid back 'cool dude' attitude of the ACD's.

We had Dobes and a big old Rott and Staffords when we were growing up..

When I met the boys dad we had Staffords and he really liked them, so I guess I just always thought we would have one as a pet for the kids when we did get a dog...

We did get a gorgeous blue ACD when we were in Penrith (some guy was trying to offload the litter at the local pub and told OH that he wouldn't be taking any home), so we ended up with a little guy for about 18 months. Sadly we lost him, as he was hung on our fence.. I have never believed it was an accident and always thought it was our horrid neighbours but couldn't prove it...

I think I will always have a staffy.. Be it pure or a saved staffy type.

I found grooming a great way to try out different breeds. I loved every single Shih Tzu that I groomed and I think I will always have one. They are a great little dogs and their personality seems to suit me well.

The Goldens were a different story. I was looking at an Alaskan Malamute and went to a few shows to meet them but one day visiting my OH's old neighbour who bred Goldens and I knew I was hooked. They suit me and my young family right now.

There are lots of other breeds I would like to own one day too but I believe in getting what will suit me in whatever stage of life I'm in.

We had Dobes and a big old Rott and Staffords when we were growing up..

When I met the boys dad we had Staffords and he really liked them, so I guess I just always thought we would have one as a pet for the kids when we did get a dog...

We did get a gorgeous blue ACD when we were in Penrith (some guy was trying to offload the litter at the local pub and told OH that he wouldn't be taking any home), so we ended up with a little guy for about 18 months. Sadly we lost him, as he was hung on our fence.. I have never believed it was an accident and always thought it was our horrid neighbours but couldn't prove it...

I think I will always have a staffy.. Be it pure or a saved staffy type.

Thats funny Staffyluv. My old boyfriend (of 6 years) had two SBT's - one I bought for his birthday. I really enjoyed their company and they were so much fun to do things like agility with. Unfortunately they just didn't fit into farm life. Whereas the ACD's would give the snakes a wide berth the SBT's were always so curious - resulting in snake bites right between the eyes :( Steffie the staffy lived.....$2K later.

The ACD's and SBT's were good together as well...similar play styles.

25 years ago I went to a mates place, when I walked in this little dog ran up to me, I bent down to pat it and it rolled on its back for tummy scratches. I thought I want one of these, I asked what it was and was told it was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

It took me another 20 years to be in a place where I could devote time and energy to dogs, now I have two 4.5 year old Staffy sisters.

So for me it was not overly scientific and doesnt help you decide.

The one thing I did think about and may sound strange, I always wanted a dog I could lift by myself should something happen to it and I needed to take it to the vet.

There are so many great breeds I would love to own. My firt love was a Doberman, I always loved the look of these majestic dogs, second was a Rottie, I loved the loyalty, third was a Lab. My Lab will probably reign as the best dog ever as he was just amazing, I had him the longest (13 years) and I chose him after having so many hip problems with the first two dogs. Now I have 2 GSD's and a Cav. I chose 1 GSD as I was looking for a pig headed dog (got what I wanted!) and he is the most magnificant looking dog, huge male, long hair, gorgeous, the other was a rescue who is a stunning short hair and the cav who is the smallest cav you will ever see, was a rescue also (they both found me).

I have not had the same breed twice as I never wanted to compare the old with the new (IYKWIM).

If I could I would have a heap but obviously you can not devote as much time to each (and I do have a family.....but once they are all gone who knows ..... :laugh: ).

I will however, get another one or two soon and am considering a Staffy and a Newfie! (the staffie will be a rescue).

I grew up with gundogs and showed Newfies before getting the Samoyeds.

It was the beauty of the Samoyeds that made me feel in love with them but after some research I realised they're a perfect breed for us.

My childhood dream breeds were Standard Poodles, Afghan or an OES and the only one of those breeds I could own now would be the OES.

I'l have Sams till the day I die but I wouldn't say no to having a Havanese or an OES one day.

Edited by Bjelkier

I always wanted a husky as a kid ( along with labs, bcs, salukis and schips )

When I moved out of home I decided why not.

I wanted a dog that would force me to excercise.

Fortunately (unfortunately) our first bitch and Esky both seem to have missed the point and are happy to relax a lot.

OH now doesn't trust huskies, so all northern breeds are out for our next pet.

I want to continue sled racing for as long as I can and have whittled down my choices to one option.

An obedient and multipurpose sled breed.

Now I just need to get the cash together to import one *le sigh*

When I met my now husband, he had a BC x kelpie, the most amazing dog. I had Aussie terriers who were awesome too, big dogs in small packages. When we moved in together I fell in love with his dog (mine stayed at my family home) and we had many wonderful years with this dog. She welcomed our first three children into the world with us and was everything I thought a dog should be.

When she sadly passed just shy of 16, we started to research which breeds would be most like her in temperament and came up with the Aussie Shepherd. I had seem them at the Melbourne Show about 10 years before and had said at the time that would be my next dog. Turned out it's the perfect breed for me and we now have two of them :)

I grew up on a large isolated farm with heaps of sheepdogs, BCs, huntaways, beardies. I always said when I grew up I was going to have 2 dogs: a german shepherd and a chocolate labrador. Not a "farm dog". After I left uni got a job and a house and was in a position to get a dog I did about a year of research on heaps of breeds (in the serious consideration catagory was GSD, Dobe, Vizsla and Briard) and ended up with one BC, 2 years later another BC and a few years later a 3rd BC. They suit me well, before the second girl, KC, I did consider getting a GSD again, before deciding the smaller size and lighter build of the BC was more suitable for sports. Before getting Gael my 3rd dog I looked into smaller breeds for agility.

OH has a love of hunting and always wanted a hunting buddy. His top choice for that is german wire-haired pointer. But they are just too big and hairy for me. We went and watched some field trials and agreed on a Brittany, it just took 3 years to find her! We wanted parents who were hunted and were NZKC registered so OH could train for field trials. Had nearly given up and were looking into Vizsla instead when her litter arrived. She is 8 months old now and a lovely girl,she also fits in well with my 3 BCs. I definately think I am a "medium" size dog person.

Always had Dobes growing up, would love to own one again one day, but only if I can have an all natural, high drive red bitch who will take over the sports world with me and be the first dual or triple CH Dobe in NZ (a girl can dream right). Didn't get a Dobe this time around because I couldn't get in touch with the few breeders that fit my criteria (I have many) - maybe next time!

What I look for in a dog breed is athletic build (love a whippet's build!), snuggly (like a dog that I can cuddle in bed!) and short hair preferably not a big shedder (could budge on this but shedder will not go in bed), and in the individual dog I want to know that the dog will be confident and well built enough to enjoy getting out and about participating in sports, isn't too soft (I don't use physical corrections, but dogs that melt when you look at them wrong can get annoying) and has the potential to go far in my chosen sports.

The breeds I am interested in/researching for my next dog are Doberman, Malinois, NZ Heading dog (or short haired BC), Whippet, Portugese Podengo Pequeno.

My current dog is a Jack Russell x Border Collie, she is built like a whippet (only shorter), smooth coat, barely drops any hair, lots of energy (can go all day!), loves her toys, loves her food, loves a cuddle, loves to wrestle (ok she will work HARD for anything), a big time snuggler, soft but not too soft... She is perfect :p

Edited by DiscoDobe

I chose greyhounds as they suited my lifestyle. I have arthritis in pretty much every joint in my body so I couldn't have a very active breed or a puppy as some days I am in a lot of pain. My greys are happy to lay on the lounge if I'm not up to walking them. They are very low maitenence,require minimal grooming, and are easy going dogs. I fostered rescue greys to see if they would be a good fit for me and now I'm addicted. I doubt I will ever own another breed.