Puppy Moving To A Raw Diet

ann21

Shell with the egg....really? Egg shells take ages to break down in the compost, i cant imagine that would be good to eat.....

Great calcium!

agreed, Gus gets the WHOLE thing :) dogs can breakdown bones they can break down egg shell haha its great calcium and no waste... I leave whole ones in the back yard for Gus to hunt :) he loves it.

I think Abbey would think what the hell do you expect me to do with this :laugh:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shell with the egg....really? Egg shells take ages to break down in the compost, i cant imagine that would be good to eat.....

Great calcium!

agreed, Gus gets the WHOLE thing :) dogs can breakdown bones they can break down egg shell haha its great calcium and no waste... I leave whole ones in the back yard for Gus to hunt :) he loves it.

I think Abbey would think what the hell do you expect me to do with this :laugh:

lol yea Gus was like this at first... then he put it in his mouth and it craked... he was so impressed with himself, like his inner caveman was cheering.

Great calcium!

I feed raw too but I haven't fed egg shell because I was of the impression that the edible bones in the diet was enough for the calcium side of it.

You don't have to feed the shell. Some dogs love it though. I normally don't because mine will only eat the shell if I disguise it, crushing it up into a powder. Plus they primarily get their eggs scrambled :laugh:

I hard boil mine. What we do for our dogs eh! :D

i know right, they eat better then we do !

I have a 26kg staffy cross and this is what he eats:

Breaky is a chicken frame or a few chicken necks or a couple of wings or a turkey neck.

Dinner is a barf patty or home made mix of beef/chicken/turkey/roo and veg with some yoghurt or cottage cheese or an egg.

He gets about half a cup of royal canin kibble a day but most of the time this is put into his kong with peanut butter and cottage cheese (just to make it stick so it is a bit harder to get out - otherwise he just drops it on the ground until they all fall out, which is not much of a challenge for him).

He also gets fish a couple of times a week and brisket bones every few days for something to chew on... I don't give marrow bones anymore as he gets constipated on the extra calcium from all that bone.. The brisket bones seem to be a nice balance.

All food is fed raw - straight out of the fridge..

Thanks Staffyluv. I've also been thinking about barf patties- might be a safer option when I am first starting out at least for one meal. Thing is, I come from Singapore and the price of 12 patties is $56 (about $48 AUD?) One question I have about fish- is there a danger of choking on the small sharp bones? Only asking because I have choked on a fish bone before so couldn't it happen to dogs too?

Does he get egg every day? My understanding is that excess egg white is very bad for dogs.

No he doesn't just one day this week and I'm not planning on giving it everyday. I heard about the egg white issue too but I think once or twice a week should be ok.

Hi Everyone,

I am just beginning to switch my 8 month old pup to a BARF diet. Yesterday I gave him his usual kibble meals plus a chicken wing attached to the drummete as a snack and he was okay with eating it. Today is the second day and he had kibble for breakfast, chicken wing plus drummete for a snack again and for dinner a mix of chicken liver, yogurt, honey, olive oil and egg (including shell). Am I going ok so far? I've read through Ian Billinghursts give your dog a bone and the thread on raw feeding. It all seems so complicated! I feel like I'm winging it at the moment but hope to get onto a half kibble half raw diet in the next few weeks and slowly transition to all raw. Someone tell me I don't have to get everything perfect and it will all turn out ok!

Good for you! (or for your dog, I should say :D)

I remember I was very panic-read book-calmed down again- then eek, panic again! when I first started doing raw. I re-read the book a lot, and ended up making a list of basic notes and pinning it to the fridge. I wrote down the things I knew I would forget, and it was great to have it in the beginning, to jog my memory and get me thinking of meals for the pups :)

I wouldn't worry about egg whites, ours get eggs every second day and sometimes every day when we have an egg overload (we have our own hens), and it certainly does't worry them.

The only thing I would add to the diet is seaweed or brewers yeast (as suggested in the book) :)

The other thing I found (for me that was), was that in the beginning I was better off simply reading the book, and only the book, as I found too many different opinions and information sources conflicting and confusing for me. Now that we've been feeding raw for a while, and I am comfortable now with the diet and confident in that I am doing it the right way, so I don't mind reading how others do it.

You'll learn to watch your dog and know what suits him. For instance, in the book it suggests that the raw meaty bones be about 60%. My sisters found that they had to adjust the percentage for their dogs. One dog needed for meat and bones to keep in good condition, whilst the other needs a much lower percentage to keep in shape.

Does he get egg every day? My understanding is that excess egg white is very bad for dogs.

no it isn't unless you are only feeding egg white. Feeding the whole egg is fine. Egg white can bind biotin but the yolk is rich in biotin so negates any problems.

Hi Everyone,

I am just beginning to switch my 8 month old pup to a BARF diet. Yesterday I gave him his usual kibble meals plus a chicken wing attached to the drummete as a snack and he was okay with eating it. Today is the second day and he had kibble for breakfast, chicken wing plus drummete for a snack again and for dinner a mix of chicken liver, yogurt, honey, olive oil and egg (including shell). Am I going ok so far? I've read through Ian Billinghursts give your dog a bone and the thread on raw feeding. It all seems so complicated! I feel like I'm winging it at the moment but hope to get onto a half kibble half raw diet in the next few weeks and slowly transition to all raw. Someone tell me I don't have to get everything perfect and it will all turn out ok!

Good for you! (or for your dog, I should say :D)

I remember I was very panic-read book-calmed down again- then eek, panic again! when I first started doing raw. I re-read the book a lot, and ended up making a list of basic notes and pinning it to the fridge. I wrote down the things I knew I would forget, and it was great to have it in the beginning, to jog my memory and get me thinking of meals for the pups :)

I wouldn't worry about egg whites, ours get eggs every second day and sometimes every day when we have an egg overload (we have our own hens), and it certainly does't worry them.

The only thing I would add to the diet is seaweed or brewers yeast (as suggested in the book) :)

The other thing I found (for me that was), was that in the beginning I was better off simply reading the book, and only the book, as I found too many different opinions and information sources conflicting and confusing for me. Now that we've been feeding raw for a while, and I am comfortable now with the diet and confident in that I am doing it the right way, so I don't mind reading how others do it.

You'll learn to watch your dog and know what suits him. For instance, in the book it suggests that the raw meaty bones be about 60%. My sisters found that they had to adjust the percentage for their dogs. One dog needed for meat and bones to keep in good condition, whilst the other needs a much lower percentage to keep in shape.

Thanks Rilla :). Great to hear from someone who's done this before. I am definitely in the panic-relax-panic stage now! Will be sourcing out brewers yeast and kelp powder soon. It's good to have the book hey I will definitely follow it proper once I've settled things down abit (I am moving from Australia to Singapore with my dog soon). He has eaten chicken neck, olive oil and eggs before so I thought why not try it together for a meal with liver. But after reading the comments I realized I probably added too many things at once for the one meal.

I am a recent raw convert. I read and researched a lot about it but still probably haven't got it down pat! It really is up to what works for your dog - what works for one may not work for the other. I'm lucky what I feed my dog seems to be working well for her currently. You might want to also read this thread : http://www.dolforums...tural-chitchat/

Anyway the basic gist of raw we follow is quite similar to BARF. Because of my dog's condition (cancer) she has quite a few additions and variations to her raw diet as recommended by our vets, so slightly different from the norm however I won't mention any of that here - I'll just give you a basic outline of what we feed.

Brekky is normally chicken frames or chicken necks or turkey necks. When I'm feeling rich she gets rabbit once in a while. Once in a while also a lamb neck but if yours is a small breed dog I wouldn't recommend one.

Dinner is a mixture of beef / veal / turkey / lamb mince, or roo mince or rabbit mince if you can get your paws on some. Sometimes also some minced chicken frames .

Eggs twice a week, shell and all. I cook the egg whites slightly but leave the yolks raw.

Fish oil about 5 - 6 times a week, Vitamin E about 3 times a week.

Yogurt about 3 times a week, just a dollop in with her brekky.

Offal a small amount about twice a week. (Liver, kidney etc)

She also gets heart once a week.

Whole fresh sardines once a week.

Also veggies blended to a pulp every day, she gets a good helping of that.

I usually just buy a batch of whatever meat/bones I need on a weekend, then separate them all by day, label the bags and freeze them. I have a menu printed out and stuck on my fridge so its easy for me to follow and see what she eats by day. It's a great system for me as I work full-time, so quick and easy. :)

Edited by silentchild

I tend to believe we over think dogs diets & like the KIS approach to feeding Keep It Simple. I supply my dogs with a quality kibble thats out 24/7(may not work for labs or other highly food motivated breeds/dogs)7 do not have 1 fat dog & they are feed 1 feed a day for all mature dogs & 2 for youngsters/teens/pregnant bitches & 3 for youngster under 6mths & feeding bitches. The daily main feed varies but are made up of largely raw meat n bone with mixed veg mash/eggs/rice/yoghurt & add a multi vit. The 1 or 2 other feeds may be as little as a turkey wing or neck chops depending on the individual dogs needs. My dogs get access daily to a lot of grass n crops & often will be seen chowing down on the oat paddock before it seeds etc. I mince my own meat(we butcher our own on farm) & add heart kidneys etc to the red meat when mincing.