So Angry!

Ronah

Nobody is being a bully hun.

I have witnessed this forum when it is heated and you are actually getting a nice polite thread. You have been a member since march 2011 have you not read any other posts on here and seen how passionate the people on here are about dogs, if you want to be moddy coddled for punishing a dog for the wrong reason then you have come to the wrong forum.

Edited by thundercat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

harshly judged and criticized

This is what you did to your dog - for being a normal dog. Sorry some of us did that to you for being a normal member of the dog owning public. We're all a bit special (dog obsessed?) in here.

This is a learning opportunity for you. Maybe we're not the most tactful and considerate in our delivery. That might be why some of us prefer dogs to people, most of them are more forgiving of rude blunt truth. But there's plenty for you to learn - in your dog's best interest. Next time - you're right - it could be a poisonous snake.

So I'm thinking you'd probably do better with face to face help. The person I've seen recommended here for Perth area is

Kathy Kopellis McLeod

http://kathysdogtraining.com.au/

in this thread.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/227824-dog-behaviourist-in-perth-recommendations/

If she is too far away from you, she may be able to recommend someone closer or come up with another way for you to learn what you need to know to train your dog to come when you want.

PS until then keep your dog on a lead short enough that you can prevent encounters with wildlife.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Awesome response mrs RB

I agree - great response. This is definitely a forum of special people ;)

Please don't take people's responses the wrong way - just don't be angry at yourself for not having prevented something that your dog's instincts told it to do :) I don't think you're a bad or negligent owner at all!

Edited by Alkhe

I have witnessed this forum when it is heated and you are actually getting a nice polite thread. You have been a member since march 2011 have you not read any other posts on here and seen how passionate the people on here are about dogs, if you want to be moddy coddled for punishing a dog for the wrong reason then you have come to the wrong forum.

Yes, It appears I have come to the wrong forum for help. I did not post a topic to be indulged. I wanted advice on possible methods I could employ that could be effective in helping to manage this undesirable behaviour. I do not read other posts. I am far too busy with a life.

Had I known I was going to be so harshly judged and criticized I would never have asked for help on this forum. How many times do I have to be told the same thing by so many people? I am not a negligent, uneducated dog owner. I understand dogs instinct. I get it that she is just a dog acting like a dog. I wanted to ask for guidance and advice that would help us. Not comments that make me feel like a abusive dog owner, and that I have no right to own a dog. So for all those that offered me the advice I was seeking, thank you very much. If there is anyone else who has anything constructive to offer, thank you as well. For the bullies who want to jump on the bandwagon and attack me, I don't need any more judgemental comments.

You cannot stop a dog from wanting to attack small animals but some other commands that are handy to teach are STOP and LEAVE. Stop as in "freeze where you are" - I use this in emergencies to get the dogs attention before grabbing them or recalling. One of mine who had a very good recall (but regularly ate skinks in our yard) learnt this well and I was able to stop her chasing a hare in the park and running into a brown snake ahead of her in the same park. Leave is taught so they will drop whatever in is their mouth. This is particularly handy if they pick up take away chicken scraps so you can stop them from swallowing them.

I know some of the people on here have been a bit harsh but you really had to expect that after saying what you did.

A conditioned "leave it" ('stop engaging with that thing immediately and walk away') really is a great thing to teach. Whether the dog is about to roll, chase, eat or even wants to say hello to a person/ other dog that you don't want them to, it is a great tool to have in your toolbox and will stop a lot of problems before they start :) I've used it on lizards more than once.

I was particularly grateful for a good 'leave it' last week when both dogs were about to roll in a tonne of blood & bone at the park :eek::vomit:

I do not read other posts. I am far too busy with a life.

if you did read posts in the training forum ..you would see things such as your problem discussed :)

You have been given advice - keep your dog on a long line - seek help- keep training recall , etc.

I understand dogs instinct. I get it that she is just a dog acting like a dog.

unfortunately, you didn't let us see that in your first post :(

I am so angry. Embarrassed. Sad. Disgusted. My dog has just killed a beautiful blue tongue bob tail lizard at the park.She has a sick fascination with them and hunts them out whenever we are near bushy areas. I thought he just barked at them but today I saw her take the poor creature in her teeth and ferociously slam it into the ground and viciously swing it around like a rag-doll. Try as I might to get to her, she was in thick brush and I have an injured knee and I couldn't crawl in to get her. She certainly would not come to my calls. Her intent was clearly to kill it. Which she did. Once it was dead she came out of the bush, quite satisfied with herself, and surrendered. YUCK! I roughly pinned her, but I think this had no effect. I know dogs live in the moment, so the cold shoulder I am now giving her is for my benefit not hers. But I don't know what to do. This killer behaviour is a complete surprise to me and I was horrified watching.

The bolded bits were the ones I took as being written by someone who was unclear on parts of dog behaviours ,had just suffered a big shock , and had learned a hard lesson.

Edited by persephone

And you expect people on here to welcome you with open arms with comments like that!!! :mad: seriously we have lives too just because we devote a huge chunk to our dogs doesnt make us bad people if there were no people like us in the world then no dogs would get rescued, no pedigree dogs would exist etc

Nobody said anything out of line or actually down right insulting to you but you did to us a person with a whole of 5 posts.....

Edited by thundercat

Yes, It appears I have come to the wrong forum for help. I did not post a topic to be indulged. I wanted advice on possible methods I could employ that could be effective in helping to manage this undesirable behaviour. I do not read other posts. I am far too busy with a life.

Yes, we are all busy with a life, if indeed you are suggesting no one here has a life.

However our dogs are a very large part of our lives and being responsible dog owners we strive to understand dog behaviour. We teach commands and proof them so that we can call our dogs off from a situation we see as undesirable.

Perhaps take a few minutes out of your busy life and read the training forum. It may give you a better understanding of dogs and why they do what they do and how to prevent certain behaviours we don't want them to do.

This forum really is a give and take forum. We take the time to ask questions in the hope that someone is interested enough to reply to them. Then we repay the compliment by attempting to assist others when we read their questions.

Yes, we are all busy with a life, if indeed you are suggesting no one here has a life.

However our dogs are a very large part of our lives and being responsible dog owners we strive to understand dog behaviour. We teach commands and proof them so that we can call our dogs off from a situation we see as undesirable.

Perhaps take a few minutes out of your busy life and read the training forum. It may give you a better understanding of dogs and why they do what they do and how to prevent certain behaviours we don't want them to do.

This forum really is a give and take forum. We take the time to ask questions in the hope that someone is interested enough to reply to them. Then we repay the compliment by attempting to assist others when we read their questions.

Exactly when you post in a public forum especially with one as complex as DOL you have to expect people to have different opinions, it is like the O.P that came here the other asking about a natural rearing breeder, of course we are going to ark up to the fact that an innocent pup has an 80% chance of contracting parvo and dying and trying to tell the O/P that no reputable breeder would sell a pup unvaccinated. You cannot expect all sugar and spice you posted asking for peoples opinions and they gave them.

If you are far to busy with a life and we dont have one apparently then why bother posting here....... :(

Edited by thundercat

To be fair.. you were given advice on how to manage prey drive, I posted some myself (and I wasn't the first).

I do not read other posts. I am far too busy with a life.

Despite how rude this comes across, I'm going to play nice and suggest that perhaps you should take the time to read here. Plenty of us have dogs with higher levels of prey drive and there are lots of older threads about similar issues that might give you more insight into how to manage prey drive.

This is such a hot button fro me , I have a creek across my property and this time every year all the lovely neighborhood dogs and cats come hunt the ducklings. Australian wildlife did not evolve in the presence of predators and even the flighted birds are vulnerable for a time after they leave the nest and spend a few days learning to fly. A bell on your cat only means a helpless animal gets to spend a few last minutes aware if it's killer. Rant over. Yes your dog can be trained to leave wildlife alone. My last dog was a sight hound cross and when we first got him dismembered a possum in the backyard. Never ever allow him to chase a bird, make him completely bird proof by exposing him leashed and discouraging attention. Ditto for lizards, rats etc. I remember watching my old man lying on the lawn whilst young ducks chased each other around him. Very important training for all Australian dogs.

Edited by hankdog

Call me an optimist, but it's my hope that I will be able to train my whippets not to kill my chooks, I hope some day to be able to let them free range together, under supervision of course. Little steps, today the chooks have had a little walk around while the whips were inside.

8007382421_fb8b1e6711_z.jpg

5F6A1988dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Read the posts here and hopefully gain some valuable information, forgive your girl and work on training. If my experiment fails, I'll be blaming myself, not the whippets.

Edited by Kirislin

Krislin we are have taught rogue to sit with his paw on a chickens back if they fly into the fenced yard.. We have gone from him trotting around the yard proudly with one in his mouth eek ( gently I might add) to sitting with paw on the back.. My chickens are a little weird when they jump in the yard nd rogue spots them they stand still , they do this when I walk up to them to put them back in the pen if they have gotten ou They free range but only when we are home.. Took a lot of work as he is a terrier but I now know the chicken's won't be played with so to speak..

Call me an optimist, but it's my hope that I will be able to train my whippets not to kill my chooks, I hope some day to be able to let them free range together, under supervision of course. Little steps, today the chooks have had a little walk around while the whips were inside.

8007382421_fb8b1e6711_z.jpg

5F6A1988dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Actually pers after I said that i thought it prob is normal lol lol.. Yes I still watch him, he is only in the yard when we are home so as soon as i hear the chicken squark ( sqwark? sp sp ) I look out , but he is so good sits and waits for me to say leave it, then I gently toss her back over the fence ..

Edited by mumof4girls