Rspca Bundaberg Break In

Squidgy

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/cats-and-dogs-run-wild-in-bundaberg-after-rspca-animal-shelter-break-in/story-fndo45r1-1226479396098

DOZENS of cats and dogs were released from a Bundaberg animal shelter last night, causing chaotic scenes as the petrified animals scrambled up onto roofs and ran around the neighbourhood.

A total of 37 animals were released by two girls, who were caught on security cameras breaking into the shelter, opening the cages and forcibly removing every cat and dog before releasing many of them onto the street.

RSPCA assistant manager Karina Taylor said she was called to the Doblo St shelter about 6.30pm on Friday after reports from residents that animals were running wild on the road and children were attempting to sell dogs and cats door-to-door.

"It was chaos," said Ms Taylor.

"Every light was on, the front door was open, every dog and cat pen was open and nothing was to be found."

Centre staff arrived and located the animals, which included kittens as young as two days old, with help from Doblo St residents.

"We got most of our animals back last night except for two cats which we found this morning," Ms Taylor said.

"The animals were petrified when we got them back. The cats that were still hanging around the area in the trees and on the roof were actually calling us to let us know they were there."

One cat found this morning was in a dog pen with a puppy and the other was hiding, scared, behind a sink outside.

Ms Taylor said the security footage, which has been provided to police, showed the two girls flinging cats and dogs around the centre.

"The things we were seeing were horrendous," she said.

"We were disgusted. They were throwing cats out of the cages and throwing them down the hallway. A couple of the puppies and dogs they picked up by the neck, one by the foot."

Ms Taylor thanked residents for alerting them to the situation and helping them find the lost animals.

"They really, really saved the day for us," she said.

"We're just so happy they're all back and if it wasn't for the Doblo St residents I think it would have gone a lot worse."

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said the act was "completely irresponsible".

"It's just very frustrating because if the animals had got out onto the main road from there half of them would have been skittled," he said.

Police said investigations into the break-in were continuing.

They said all animals were recovered unharmed except for one cat which was still missing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents need to take more responsibility. They should know where their 13year old are....when did it get socially acceptable to allow your tweens to run the street, they are still young children. All the missing child reports should send chills up peoples spines but they have the 'it won't happen to me attitude' :(

My mother in law said something about video footage showing them throwing the animals to the ground :( so they were not breaking them out because of compassion or to free them so they would not be PTS they are just pathetic animal abusers who happened to be bored last night :mad :mad :mad

Geez that video link says they're only 10 :( and the RSPCA think they know who they are because they let 3 cats out the weekend before. I wonder if the parents will be held accountable, presumably they would have been made aware of the previous incident.

Ummmmmmm Errrrrrrrrr the first thing that comes to mind here is What about the security side of things. If a couple of kids can break in to my mind it leaves a lot to be desired about their security.

By the way, I hope when they are caught somebody kicks their backsides from here to breakfast time and back again.

I really hate the its the parents comments... Drives me crazy

Sometimes parents do all they can and the kids still act out and sneek out and do what they want (i have seen it, my parents did everything they could to get my brothers to do what they were told and nothing worked, by fining them or making my parents pay for their actions, it would have done nothing to stop the boys (note: they NEVER did anything like this, but just silly teenager crap, drinking and sneeking out at night and not coming home when told))

As for the kids involved in this, i agree, they should be locked up for a year or so and not let off because they are so young.