Relocating To Uk.

mgardner89

Are you sure you would want to stay in UK?

Hubby made plans to move over there with his cat a few years ago (before I met him), but because of the quarantine thing he decided against it. Then the cat died and he went over for 6 months, or that was the plan, but after 3 months he was so miserable he decided to come home. It's a different culture, people aren't as friendly as here, they whinge a lot, the weather is miserable a lot of the time, and even though he had friends and family over there he was so miserable he ended up not even wanting to leave his flat most of the time.

having spent the fisrt 22 years of my life in the UK, I'd say you were wrong on all counts there.

+2.

And as a whinging, miserable Pom, I'll be writing a stern letter to someone about you lazy, drunken, kangaroo-riding convicts.

You miserable sods are scratching the doors down in the thousands to get over here amongst us lazy drunken kangaroo riding bastards.

Aww did you forget your sense of humour? :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for my delay - busy weekend!

Yes it would be a big step to move over. If I moved there I would be committing to staying there for at least 2 years. Bringing him home through Quarantine wouldn't be much fun but at least AQS Sydney is close to where I am currently located (and imagine I wouldn't be much further away on coming home).

I wouldn't want to rehome him but I just wanted some other perspective. Being stuck in his crate for the flight there seems a bit bad because of the length. Although he deals pretty well with being crated. I just imagine the plane being pretty noisy with other animals and therefore that might be unsettling for him.

He had one big incident (lost for two days) and he hasn't ever been the same since - even with ongoing work. I am more or less concerned that this won't help.

Definitely not selfish :)

It's not as far, but my little dog (Silky X Maltese embarrass.gif )went from Perth > Sydney > Wagga Wagga then boarded at a kennel until my family and I got there - she was just happy to see us! Didn't seem to bother her! But she's a pretty tough little thing :) she wasn't exactly young either - about 11 at the time.

Dogs are generally pretty optimistic little animals :)

Most dogs will sleep during the flight and there would only be a maximum of 3 animals anyway.

If the dog is comfortable with the crate there would not be any problems. They would need a purpose built one, usually wooden is required, pet transport companies can do that for you. Just get the dog used to that crate and they will be fine.

There are special liners for crates you can buy that will absorb and liquid accidents, and leave it totally dry and so the dog will remain comfortable. If the dog is fasted they are not likely to soil the crate.

There are special non spill water containers you can buy which will ensure water stays available at all times. You can also buy water bottles, much like they use for rabbits or other small animals, that they can suck water out of. If you put vegemite or something on the end of it, they will suck it off and discover water as well!!

Some states in Australia will allow small animals to travel in crates on public transport, that can help to get them used to differnet noises, etc if that is a concern. Taking them in other cars, not just one car in the crate can help. Driving through car washes, while the dog is in the crate will also get them used to loud noises. Dogs do really travel fine. Just do not sedate them under any circumstances, they are not able to keep themselves warm and can struggle to regulate breathing. No dog should ever be sedated without someone watching them at all times.

If you have both a rabies vaccination and titre test, and keep them up to date for the duration of the trip, you would only need to do the other tests in the 30 days prior to coming back to Australia. Hence it is important to keep not just the vacciations for rabies, but also titre testing up to date as that will enable the quickest possible return to Australia should it be neccessary. In the 30 days prior to travel, worming, tick treatments, some other vaccations and blood tests need to be done. They cannot really be done aheand of time unless you know when you are going to travel, But the rabies vaccination and titre test are the key, as they allow you to travel anytime within the next 12 months, so just keep them up to date.

With careful planning the dog will be fine and will cope perfectly OK. Half the battle will be remaining calm yourself. Within Australia there are some brilliant pet transport companies that can help.

My import flew into the UK in a plastic crate with a waterbowl hooked up onto the door so it can be refilled during their journey after the crate has been secured ready for flying

Yes. Plastic PP-- are approved for all international flight and have been for some time now.

post-27253-0-25934100-1349911948_thumb.jpg

My import flew into the UK in a plastic crate with a waterbowl hooked up onto the door so it can be refilled during their journey after the crate has been secured ready for flying

Yes. Plastic PP-- are approved for all international flight and have been for some time now.

Hey thats what my crates are I use in the car. Nifty arent they, love the water bowls such a great idea. put a second for ther dinner if its a long trip as well.

a joe/jane public told the rspca they were stuffed into boxes?

NICE and airy I think they are anyway.

My sisters dog likes to sleep in hers when she is in the house. (hmmm the other charge lodged was that they believed the dogs lived in them? )

when they are going to go out all they have to say is, into bed, and she gallops in ready for the car trip.

Edited by asal

You miserable sods are scratching the doors down in the thousands to get over here amongst us lazy drunken kangaroo riding bastards.

queen-elizabeth-thumb.jpg

I like the girl.

much better looking than all those PM's we have had.

Currently quarantine coming back to Australia from the uk is 30 days. It may be changing in the near future to only 2 weeks which would be great. I believe there is a quarantine center at badgerys creek, sydney where dogs, cats and horses are kept(the same one that EI broke out from).

We moved our dog to the UK and back to Australia with us only a few years ago. she was never really crate trained but coped very well on the flights and coped fine with the 30 days in quarantine in australia. She was returned to us happy and healthier (she has lost some weight) than before when we picked her up.

The pick up in the UK was even easier, she was on the same flight as us, we organised for an external agency to pick her up from the airport and drop her at our new house. she arrived home about an hour after we did and was very happy to see us. she didn't seem traumatised at all.

:eek:

Yes your right, it did break out and not just to Centenial Park, it infected every horse across the road as well but that sure got hushed up. not even a mention of that at the Inquiry. :coffee:

I read every line of the evidence, n nope they werent letting that little cat out of the bag.

it got out without any human aid that one, it just wafted the 600 metres across to the agistement horses, friends ponies were among the first infected soley by the wind.

there is nothing to stop the breath of any infected animal there from leaving over or through the boundary let alone the containment area'a where the animals are kept.

there are thousands of pet birds, dogs, cats, horses and cattle within less than half a mile of the facility.

foot and mouth for example carries for MILES

"The virus can also survive long enough and in high

enough concentrations to be spread through air currents. Spread of the disease up to 62 miles has

been documented.3 Physical spread of the virus by other animals, such as birds, is possible."

Yet Like EI

"However,

it is readily inactivated by heat, UV light, disinfectants or environments where the pH < 6.0 or

>9.0."

Yet Eastern creek is still being called, and used as a QUARANTINE faciltiy when in fact there are thousands of animals capable of being infected via air and birds moving freely into and out of the facility, 24/7 ... :dropjaw:

Is quarantine likely to go down to 2 weeks? Or is that just for the UK? What about Germany?

Really, really bad idea in my opinion. If they drop it to two weeks they may as well have a quick vet check when they get off the plane and 24 hours observation!

Australia used to have the most stringent quarrantine laws in the world..and for a good reason too.

Well I can't tell them what to do, I jut don't like leaving my Wei kennelled here whenever I go to Germany to see my family every so often :p I'd love to be able to take her but 30 days quarantine and all that is just WAY too much for me to consider taking her

Edited by BlackJaq