Neighbour Rant

Squidgy

Hey :)

My great aunt lives in a housing property ( public housing) and they are developing it all around that area she has been told she can keep her home ( for now)but she has to learn to adapt her home to suit her new "private" neighbours. I am far from a racist and neither is my Aunty but all of her neighbours are from other minorities and have nothing but concrete jungles and not one dog ( I am not sure if this is a culture thing or not) they have complained about my Aunts 3 dogs, saying that in this "private" that dogs and animals she be banned because they bring nothing but filth and disease, mind you my Aunts dogs are looked after better then some people look after their children. Her dogs have dug a few tiny holes in HER backyard which she fills in all the time, they do not bark except when somebody approaches the gate or sticks their head over the fence ( something these neighbours do ALOT) they put their heads and hands over the fence and her german shepherd gets defensive not aggressive just warns them in the best way she can, she is an old girl who has never had to put up with this sort of thing before, the same with other two dogs a GSP and a dachshund. They say that my aunties dogs are aggressive, destructive and unclean and that she should be forced to surrender them if she wants to continue living in this now " private" area........ :cry::mad

My great aunt is going into her 70's she doesnt need this......her and the dogs were great friends with all the previous neighbours, some moved into smaller homes, some passed due to their age etc I do not understand how some new "private" people can step in and try to change everything :confused:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand how some new "private" people can step in and try to change everything :confused:

because they have paid, and have different customs/beliefs .....

:( sad for your Aunt ..sounds as if life will not be comfortable for her anymore .

nope.... they are continuously harassing her knocking on her door " wearing gloves" so that their hands do not touch a house that has dogs.....one person told her that he will send them back to hell where they came from :( she is alone and has nobody but the dogs.... :cry: this is a good reason why I like dogs over most humans

What do you mean "private" community? Is it the government that are developing? Your Aunt doesn't own the land so it looks like she won't have much say unfortunately.

Just saw the door knocking post....has she reported this?

Edited by Aussie3

This is harassment and if she likes she can report them to the housing authority or police. Write a report stating what they do and that way of they report her dogs she has written evidence to suggest otherwise. I hate how new people come in and think they have a right to dictate to the old residents how they should live.

they are continuously harassing her knocking on her door " wearing gloves" so that their hands do not touch a house that has dogs.....one person told her that he will send them back to hell where they came from :( she is alone and has nobody but the dogs....

Now that is a disturbing tale :(

can she not apply for another house ? I guess though it would be a very long wait :( :(

Is there no relative/friend who could help her seek accomodation?

The poor lady should be able to enjoy her time and her dogs .... legally there 'must' be something to help her, surely ...

:hug:

To play Devil's Advocate here..

It seems quite likely to me they've previously had negative experiences with dogs, possibly also relating to dogs in public housing.

I live in a suburb that is roughly 50% public housing (split neatly down the middle) and the difference is huge- on the "bad" side, aggressive dogs, kept on chains, usually bull breeds or other "tough" looking dogs. On this side.. more "average" ownership (in terms of breeds or how they are kept).

If someone had previously lived in an area with lots of public housing, it'd be understandable that they might have some strong biases because of what the "average" seems to be for some of those sorts of areas. I know my suburb is not unusual in this- the same applies to other public housing areas in Launceston and I'd have to assume from that, the rest of Tasmania and the mainland, to a certain extent.

Edited to add..

Whether or not they are "private" occupiers is really beside the point. Contact the police, make reports of any harassment/threats.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

It seems quite likely to me they've previously had negative experiences with dogs, possibly also relating to dogs in public housing.

Seems more a cultural/belief thing from what I read ...MUCH more dificult to deal with :(

that dogs and animals be banned because they bring nothing but filth and disease
dogs are aggressive, destructive and unclean and that she should be forced to surrender them
knocking on her door " wearing gloves" so that their hands do not touch a house that has dogs.....one person told her that he will send them back to hell where they came from

People are allowed to dislike dogs and have cultural beliefs that dogs are dirty. They are not, however, allowed to threaten to kill them. Your Aunt should report the matter to the police, but leave out the bits about other cultures, gloves etc as all of that is perfectly legal - the bit about sending the dogs back to hell isn't.

First off she should write all this down

and head off to her doctor the RSL and to housing to see about doing an exchange or having them relocate her .

This is no way for her or her dogs to live at this stage in her life she should be living a peaceful life with her much loved hound's .

I wish her the best of luck.

My mother has rang them for her, because she rang her crying on the phone terrified for her dogs... yes My uncle used to serve in the forces so thanks for that recommendation.

I understand that people are allowed to dislike dogs and I understand that she doesn't own her land. What I mean by private is that it is only her and another person in the street that live in public housing, they have sold the rest off and she is the second last one left.

The police say that it is her word against theirs basically. And that they have a right to hate animals etc etc and she needs to be more understanding to their beliefs and consider getting rid of the dogs if that is what it will take to calm the situation down. They have made up so many lies, saying that the dogs have jumped the fence, I would love to know how they jumped 6ft colorbond fences!!!

have attacked their children :rofl: sorry have to laugh as if these dogs attacked someone it would be reported .morons..... I just don't know how long she has left as she is not well either, and these idiots are making her life hell. They have even called the RSPCA saying the dogs are neglected :/ as I have said to them myself, so what is it make up your mind? they are neglected , they are dangerous what is seriously!!!! I don't know what I will do if she ends up dying over the stress :(

Edited by thundercat