New Dog Show

Kenzie's BFF, who also happens to be Hamish's girlfriend, made about a 2 second debut on tonight's show! None of us actually have any association there any more but we used to work with a trainer who worked there who was brilliant. I'm guess that the show was filmed close to 18 months ago seeing as though she was still a pup and she well and truely isn't a baby anymore!!

I didn't see the first episode but like others have said I guess with all these shows there will be things you agree with and things you don't!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, was one at ' The lost dogs home".

I enjoyed this one, i know its not supposed to be a great place? pens looked tiny,but havn't read threads on it so not sure why no one like them?

I thought it did get the message over well about rescue, i loved King, my kinda dog, he was far calmer to work with anyway, the girl was given the harder ones.

I would like to have seen more dogs going in for pts and not comming out to hammer it home more, and to watch people dumping them. :(

No, was one at ' The lost dogs home".

I enjoyed this one, i know its not supposed to be a great place? pens looked tiny, but havn't read threads on it so not sure why no one like them?

I thought it did get the message over well about rescue, i loved King, my kinda dog, he was far calmer to work with anyway, the girl was given the harder ones.

I would like to have seen more dogs going in for pts and not comming out to hammer it home more, and to watch people dumping them. :(

Well that would have given a truer picture of the Lost Dogs Home, that's for sure.

I tried to watch it but I was just getting too angry. Knowing their stats and their ridiculous criteria that the dogs have to fulfil just to be given a chance, it's just too sad. I couldn't help but feel it was a load of propaganda to promote the LDH in the hope of more donations. Yes, I admit I am a biased. I find it hard to be unemotional about that place. :cry:

I did notice in the little bit I saw that they said the puppies would be given a week then their fate was 'undecided'. We all know what that means. $12 million in the bank but they give a puppy a week! :mad

The don't even know what the words rescue means, if they did they would work with other rescues. :mad

Juice, I'm intrigued as to why you haven't read the threads on here. Not having a go at all but just interested. Is it too upsetting or are you just not interested? As I said I really am not having a go but considering the amount of donations they get I'm assuming the General Public are not aware of their exceptionally high kill rate but I was surprised that a doggie person would also not know.

Back then when the show was filmed shelters like LDH were subject to the 28 day rule, which most certainly would have contributed to the kill rate then. Obviously that now no longer exists so that can't contribute to the reason for high kill rates. I know people have lots of issues with them, but it is good to remember the people working with the animals certainly don't like that they are put in a situation where they do have to kill them (and they aren't often in a position to do a lot about it). I know a lot of people who work in shelter environments who really just want to do the best by the animals in their care and get really down when people have at go at them about killing animals whe really it is out of their hands.

Back to the show, I really do hope the guy did take in some of what he seemed to learn and maybe changed his practices a bit. I think it would be interesting for all these shows to do a follow up some significant period of time later to see what really sticks with the participants and if they do make change or if they go back to doing what they always did.

Back then when the show was filmed shelters like LDH were subject to the 28 day rule, which most certainly would have contributed to the kill rate then. Obviously that now no longer exists so that can't contribute to the reason for high kill rates. I know people have lots of issues with them, but it is good to remember the people working with the animals certainly don't like that they are put in a situation where they do have to kill them (and they aren't often in a position to do a lot about it). I know a lot of people who work in shelter environments who really just want to do the best by the animals in their care and get really down when people have at go at them about killing animals whe really it is out of their hands.

Back to the show, I really do hope the guy did take in some of what he seemed to learn and maybe changed his practices a bit. I think it would be interesting for all these shows to do a follow up some significant period of time later to see what really sticks with the participants and if they do make change or if they go back to doing what they always did.

Great post. As someone who has worked in a shelter, you're totally correct. The workers have no say about anything.

I hadn't read all the threads about the "LDH" as it was like the people posting new the facts so just talked amongst them selves without actually giving all the details to others who weren't aware of their policies etc.

Bit like the RSPCA i suppose in that i can't stand them either due to the same reasons.

To be honest, I thought some reasonable messages came to the general public from the program at the Lost Dogs' Home. Mindless breeding, failure to train and restrain & contain, bluntly lead to dogs' dying. And also that owners can love their dogs, but be setting them up for that. Good to see that someone with a seemingly helpless attitude to training.... could, with 'education'... make a big difference for their dog.

But I'm with DD that more understanding of breed behavioural traits would've been very useful. Has implications for people matching dogs to their lifestyle. And also for not mixing up those traits with sheer naughtiness, even tho' they need management.

I just watch the two episodes on abc2's website. I think it's probably the best dog show I've seen on TV in a long time.

I absolutley agree that your general leadership skills have more of an effect on your dogs than we expect and it does come easier to some people. We've had ongoing dog to dog aggression issues in our house for years and really pulling together our leadership skills has made probably the biggest difference regarding this and our overall control of our lot. And this is a house that is responsible and owners that actively and regularly train with their dogs.

Not being doormats anymore (something none of us had relised we'd slipped into the habit of so much) has made a huge difference. And nothing we've changed has been overly aversive to the dogs, there are no alpha rolls or the like but things like ignoring them when we get home, getting them to move if they are in the way and not giving them all the free love they ask for has improved their recall, self control, greetings and alert barking aswell as improved the tormented 14 year old cats life that has the joy of living in a house of 4 dogs including 2 young, rambunctious working dogs who like to think he is there purely for their entertainment.

Quinn is particularly fast to take advantage of me when she can and it's probably the thing that has caused most the issues I've come up against with her. So yes, I think that episode was totally relavent to their issues at home.

I like the show - it shows dogs in a positive light, placing the blame fair on owners shoulders. It't tackling the big issues facing dogs in society right now. It will hopefully continue to impress me.

I had an interesting conversation last night with my brother while this show was on.

He doesn't like dogs( scared), doesn't see the point of them.

Anyway he was watching at home when he sends me a text saying "dog nazi's, why can't he breed his dogs".

So i messaage him back about how many staffys die everyday in pounds, and is he going to be responsible for all the pups he breeds.

His answer was " surely that was the buyers fault."

I said no,he should be made to hold a healthy young dog while its killed.

He said whats the difference ,you could buy one in a petshop.

So it went on, me being the 'crazy dog lady", him with no clue.

I mentioned health testing, paying a sh@tload of cash for a mongrel, saying you do more research when you buy a fridge than a dog etc etc.

Afterwards i thought, is this the reality of what joe public thinks? why can't the guy breed and are we all nutters?

I was exausted, and not sure he took any in. :(

Edited by juice

To be honest, I thought some reasonable messages came to the general public from the program at the Lost Dogs' Home. Mindless breeding, failure to train and restrain & contain, bluntly lead to dogs' dying. And also that owners can love their dogs, but be setting them up for that. Good to see that someone with a seemingly helpless attitude to training.... could, with 'education'... make a big difference for their dog.

Agreed. Nothing will ever meet the approval of the whole DOL audience, but if it made the general public at least think about and aware of these issues, then it is better than nothing.

Broke my heart to see the lovely young pointer who was apparently the "worst behaved dog in the shelter' :cry: ...... normal high energy young pointer who was clearly not getting enough exercise. I hope he made it out, I really do.

Hi,

Didn't see the show....but was told from others who had, about the Pointers.....and they all agreed nothing exceptionally bad about these dogs behaviour......normal un excercised young Pointers, who also dont like being locked up.........The Pointer Rescue has not had good outcomes when dealing with the LDH.........and have found that they will not deal with us, release dogs when we have foster or homes and basically just dont understand Pointers anyway and will just put the dogs to sleep.

Edited by Showpony

So I'm watching a bit of the amazing army dogs.

What sort of snakes would be in the water :eek:

I'm in awe of the dogs that don't shake after being under the water!

When I lived in Virginia they warned about Water Moccasins or Cotton Mouths. Basically the area they they bite and surrounding tissue become necrotic. They are also deadly if they bite the right spot.

Here's a picture of one. I used to see them all the time in the rivers and creeks, they're pretty shy and take off when they see you. In a spoiler in case people have snake phobia

1460224121_ba6529c235.jpg

Edited by mixeduppup