Enough Gumtree Ads Perhaps?

Salukifan

Well isn't a forum made up of the people on it and the people on it often have things going on in their life that is dog related. If this forum stuck to one subject of purebred dogs and nothing else it would be quite boring. The people on here make it eclectic and colourful and yes some things are repetitive, some things are annoying, some things are hilarious, some things are very informative and others are just space fillers. A forum is a community of sorts and I guess everyone is different int he community and wants to talk about their own thing. Forums and online in general can also provide a great venting ground.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well isn't a forum made up of the people on it and the people on it often have things going on in their life that is dog related. If this forum stuck to one subject of purebred dogs and nothing else it would be quite boring. The people on here make it eclectic and colourful and yes some things are repetitive, some things are annoying, some things are hilarious, some things are very informative and others are just space fillers. A forum is a community of sorts and I guess everyone is different int he community and wants to talk about their own thing. Forums and online in general can also provide a great venting ground.

In your opinion. You'd probably be amazed at where that discussion can take you.

And it IS the purpose of the forum. Some of us actually pay for the privilege of listing our purebred dogs and their litters here.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Well isn't a forum made up of the people on it and the people on it often have things going on in their life that is dog related. If this forum stuck to one subject of purebred dogs and nothing else it would be quite boring.

You do realise that is the real purpose of this forum don't you?

Plan B

And honestly, if you look through most threads on the forum, it's all about people waving their hands in horror about various things. Whether it's a thread about a dog in a park that was aggressive or a neighbour who has yappy dogs or someone who has done someone wrong. DOL is made up of people complaining about something (not meant in an offensive way, I'm here too) so not sure how the ads make DOL worse?

Agree with this and I for one find myself avoiding general as one glance at the topic list and it is mostly rants and vents about off leash dogs and off leash parks and pet shops and oodle ads. Maybe people could stop and think before hitting start new topic and/or do a search first, or think about whether they are really starting a topic that could result in genuine productive discussion rather than just letting off steam about something they saw, did, or experienced that has been posted about several times already in the last two days.

If it's the soul purpose of this forum then why is there an offtopic and a general dog discussion area?

I think purebred is the basis of this forum and a great one but just like everything that has a lot of members it evolves to keep up with its clientele. This doesn't mean it's any less effective in getting across it's original message but simply has grown to accommodate more areas of dog ownership.

Edited by mixeduppup

If it's the soul purpose of this forum then why is there an offtopic and a general dog discussion area?

Because users wanted them and Troy obliged. But promotion of ANKC registered purebred dogs is still the dominant purpose of the forum and the fact that there are long time users here who do little to contribute to that purpose doesn't sit well with me.

But I ain't running the show. :shrug:

Because users wanted them and Troy obliged. But promotion of ANKC registered purebred dogs is still the dominant purpose of the forum and the fact that there are long time users here who do little to contribute to that purpose doesn't sit well with me.

They may not contribute directly but this forum is a wealth of information and lack of contribution on a particular type pf topic does not mean that person is not gaining knowledge and putting it into practice offline.

Edited by mixeduppup

I only posted about the pug, as I thought the breeder, if they knew might be interested in getting their dog back.

I did NOT post about another pug being rehomed by a registered breeder, as I could not see any problems with that at all.

Edited by futuredogtrainer

Does that mean you disapprove of long-time users who have Koolies, other working line (non-ANKC) dogs etc posting on DOL? I think there might be a few of us who feel like we still make a (positive, non-whingey) contribution to the group nonetheless. I also own a crossbred mutt but I don't believe that I am denigrating ANKC dogs when I write about him on the forum.

Edited by koalathebear

Guest lavendergirl

I think that people should post topics about whatever they like as long as it is within the forum rules. Not everyone has to like every topic or read them which has been said many times on here before about all sorts of topics.

I don't think that people who post about FTGH are "big noting" themselves - I think that they are genuine caring people looking for assistance. Again don't read if you don't like - there are many topics that people find boring and annoying.

I was jumping up and down about the amount of puppies at the pet shop and have discovered through posting, thanks to another member :thumbsup:, that mixed breeds are not allowed in the same glass box so will be taking pictures tomorrow and contacting the council.

So I do not regret starting a pet shop thread but never meant to offend anyone either :)

Does that mean you disapprove of long-time users who have Koolies, other working line (non-ANKC) dogs etc posting on DOL? I think there might be a few of us who feel like we still make a (positive, non-whingey) contribution to the group nonetheless. I also own a crossbred mutt but I don't believe that I am denigrating ANKC dogs when I write about him on the forum.

Nope. They have their own registries. And they can be recognised by the ANKC on the Sporting Registry anyway.

i don't disapprove of crossbred dog owners posting either. But if you are (as some have been) a member who's been around a while and who then heads off to a BYB or a pet shop for the next dog then sorry, you're part of the problem.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

lavendergirl - I agree. And while there have been squillions of posts about "my puppy is biting me", those threads are often old and locked and it's still 'new' to the new puppy owner ... I usually try to search and read old threats before I post a question but I'm not going to flame anyone who doesn't do that.

i don't disapprove of crossbred dog owners posting either. But if you are (as some have been) a member who's been around a while and who then heads off to a BYB or a pet shop for the next dog then sorry, you're part of the problem.

:confused: I hope you mean 'you' in the general sense and not 'you' as in 'me'.

Edited by koalathebear

I think that people should post topics about whatever they like as long as it is within the forum rules. Not everyone has to like every topic or read them which has been said many times on here before about all sorts of topics.

I don't think that people who post about FTGH are "big noting" themselves - I think that they are genuine caring people looking for assistance. Again don't read if you don't like - there are many topics that people find boring and annoying.

Agree :)

I agree. And while there have been squillions of posts about "my puppy is biting me", those threads are often old and locked and it's still 'new' to the new puppy owner ... I usually try to search and read old threats before I post a question but I'm not going to flame anyone who doesn't do that.

Me neither. But when it's thread after thread from someone who bought a BYB pup and who then drains this place dry for info and DEFENDS their purchase then I get a bit fragile. icon_smile_mad.gif

I was jumping up and down about the amount of puppies at the pet shop and have discovered through posting, thanks to another member :thumbsup:, that mixed breeds are not allowed in the same glass box so will be taking pictures tomorrow and contacting the council.

So I do not regret starting a pet shop thread but never meant to offend anyone either :)

Good point! Everyone has the right to not read a thread if you find it unappealing or old territory. Simple.

Breed threads and rescue is where such assistance can be obtained. Quite a few of the rescue regulars don't read General.

Just looking through the first two pages of General and I count 5 of the 50 threads that could possibly sole relate to the discussion, knowledge and promotion of ANKC registered pure breeds. We would have very quiet forums if only topics meeting those criteria were allowed. Technically dog training and behavior are not ANKC issues and yet threads about those things are probably the most common and amongst the most useful.

I think of forums as communities too, made of people brought together by a common interest and/or belief but where all sorts of things can be discussed.

I agree. And while there have been squillions of posts about "my puppy is biting me", those threads are often old and locked and it's still 'new' to the new puppy owner ... I usually try to search and read old threats before I post a question but I'm not going to flame anyone who doesn't do that.

Me neither. But when it's thread after thread from someone who bought a BYB pup and who then drains this place dry for info and DEFENDS their purchase then I get a bit fragile. icon_smile_mad.gif

That is annoying but at the same time they get defensive because they didn't know and they love their puppy.

I have found on several forums - that being overly restrictive about what topics people can discuss - can kill the forum.

People don't want to stay if they're told what they want to talk about is not allowed.

And that's ok for some things in a forum with a theme or priority like this one - it's all up front about being about pure bred dogs, and if us bitsa owners don't like it - there are other forums. So excluding discussion about deliberate bitsa breeding - is ok - in my book - though the rescue people who don't care if the dog they're trying to home is a bitsa - could use some help in nominating potential ancestry based on looks - not that this is all that accurate but some councils insist on it.

It's also ok (required) to stop discussion about stuff that promotes illegal activity.

And it's good for a forum to stop any kind of hateful attacks on other members. differences of opinion I'm ok with - it makes the forum more interesting - but hate attacks - not so good.

As for all the other stuff - we all have lives that intersect with things dog related and it's nice to have somewhere to vent where there might be a sympathetic or at least educational audience. There are also other forums for this - but it's not the same. If people only want to read or post about breeding purebred dogs - there is the breeders community and nobody has to open a thread on a subject they're not interested in.

(except maybe the mods).

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket