Leaning?

mixeduppup

my family have had several boxers over the years, and all the males have been huge leaners. I believe it's common in guarding breeds. The current boxer is a rather anxious dog, so he sometimes leans and tries to get his bloody great heavy feet up on your leg as well. On the other hand, my Lappie is more of a nudger.

That's interesting LappieHappy. My boxer is a leaner, mostly on me, sometimes my husband, not normally on the kids (perhaps because they don't stand still long enough!). He normally does it when I'm standing but pre-occupied eg. doing dishes. It doesn't bother us. I quite like it as, in a busy household, I feel like I'm juggling spending time with everyone, including my dog.

I just figured he likes being near us. I have heard that it's a dominance/ guarding thing but I'm not sure about that. In the absence of other signs of behavioural problems I haven't seen it as an issue.

I too would be interested in the views of experienced trainers. :)

All my boxers have been leaners. Same as trinabeans boxer, Nelsson will lean on my leg while I am standing still doing something or if I am sitting on the edge of a wall, he will lean against my back. :D

my family have had several boxers over the years, and all the males have been huge leaners. I believe it's common in guarding breeds. The current boxer is a rather anxious dog, so he sometimes leans and tries to get his bloody great heavy feet up on your leg as well. On the other hand, my Lappie is more of a nudger.

That's interesting LappieHappy. My boxer is a leaner, mostly on me, sometimes my husband, not normally on the kids (perhaps because they don't stand still long enough!). He normally does it when I'm standing but pre-occupied eg. doing dishes. It doesn't bother us. I quite like it as, in a busy household, I feel like I'm juggling spending time with everyone, including my dog.

I just figured he likes being near us. I have heard that it's a dominance/ guarding thing but I'm not sure about that. In the absence of other signs of behavioural problems I haven't seen it as an issue.

I too would be interested in the views of experienced trainers. :)

All my boxers have been leaners. Same as trinabeans boxer, Nelsson will lean on my leg while I am standing still doing something or if I am sitting on the edge of a wall, he will lean against my back. :D

I always loved the lean, it has to be said :) And they've all done it when happy, saying hello and being patted and fussed over, so it does seem like a desire to be close. With the anxious one, it also seems to have a component of wanting to make sure that the friendly people are still friendly and all is okay. I have an anxious cat who does exactly the same thing.

My Pippa dog did the lean.I think it's another way for them to feel close to you when they are too big to climb on your lap.She also did the terrier head butt;not sure what thats about,i've heard different opinions on that one.

I don't know about that, every one of the boxers and my lappie all thought/think they are lap dogs! :laugh: Or a Lapp dog, in Tarja's case.

:bolt:

:laugh: Yes, mine's a big lap dog. The faces he pulls while trying to 'sneak' onto my lap are priceless.

Years ago a friend of mine showed me an interesting thing with my dog. He is a very experienced dog trainer, mostly gundogs but all his excelled at Obedience.

My Schipperke was standing on a concrete wall edging the River. It had been built into the side of the river bank to make a wading pool for kids at a Camp site. He gently pressed his the wading pool. It was hot and she loved the water....At least he didn't do it on the other side which was the River! :eek:

I too have heard that leaning on people can be a sign of dominance, rather like sitting on a person's feet. Kirah used to try and sit on my feet all the time but this behaviour has now stopped.

In regards to leaning, both Zeus and Kirah love to lean up against the sides of my house. They cock their legs to the side and sit on their bums leaning against the bricks (like

riding side saddle). Zeus loves the bricks on cooler days as he'll find a spot in the sun so the bricks are warm.

I also have a suspicion that it could be a learned behaviour. Poochie was a leaner, which I believe Zeus learned through watching her, who has in turn passed this on to Kirah. I like to believe this as I feel that whenever I see them both leaning that there's a part of my beloved Poochie still around! :)

That sounds so cute! I can just picture them leaning there soaking up the sun :)

I haven't heard of sitting on feet being a dominance thing, how so?

Years ago a friend of mine showed me an interesting thing with my dog. He is a very experienced dog trainer, mostly gundogs but all his excelled at Obedience.

My Schipperke was standing on a concrete wall edging the River. It had been built into the side of the river bank to make a wading pool for kids at a Camp site. He gently

pressed his the wading pool. It was hot and she loved the water....At least he didn't do it on the other side which was the River! :eek:

Liz, I'm confused! Did you miss some words? :)

My GSD does. Usually during training when sitting for a while while the instructor is talking, I put it down to boredom.

I suddenly sidestep and watch him nearly fall over - he doesn't learn :laugh:

my female JRT does this generally when i am standing at the kitchen sink, i think it is her way of having time alone with me as it is the only time i am still. she is not generally an affectionate dog, doesn't like being picked up, doesn't sit near us at night. She doesn't get fed treats while I am washing up and I think it is just - "Hey I am here and I am happy just to have contact"

Our greyhound and great dane both do it. They are not at all dominant in their nature, so I believe it is just cuddles.

They especially do it when getting pats, but also just when we are standing still, they'll just come and lean for a while.

My Schipperke was standing on a concrete wall edging the River. It had been built into the side of the river bank to make a wading pool for kids at a Camp site. He gently pressed his open hands against her side and when he released the pressure she fell "SPLASH" into the wading pool. It was hot and she loved the water....At least he didn't do it on the other side which was the River! :eek:

Liz, I'm confused! Did you miss some words? :)

:rofl: Must have highlighted and deleted half the story.

Yep, dogs will lean into pressure, just like horses :) I think a lot of people are unaware of this and that is how you end up seeing people being dragged along by their dog on a leash who is walking at a 45° angle because he is leaning against the person holding the leash....