The Thieving Magpie

samoyedman

No music. Sorry to disappoint any Rossini fans. :)

There is a magpie, or multiple magpies, routinely helping themselves to the lazy samoyeds food bowl.

It is not practical due to the layout of the place to put up a large scarecrow and I don't like covering his food all day when I'm at work in case he gets hungry.

What is a good small-ish idea for scaring off this persistant food thief? Something I can hang up maybe? Any ideas?

Thanks.

He cant be that hungry especially if he just watches the maggie steal his food. I wouldn't leave food out but if there's a single skerrick of anything vaguely edible and a bird had the cheek to try to eat it in this backyard they'd be deady bones.

It doesn't sound like he needs food left out.

And you're not the only one to tell me dogs such as this exist, but it is a very foreign concept to me! :laugh:

On a more practical note, aren't there little hangy up things birds don't like? Kind of like dream catchers?

He cant be that hungry especially if he just watches the maggie steal his food. I wouldn't leave food out but if there's a single skerrick of anything vaguely edible and a bird had the cheek to try to eat it in this backyard they'd be deady bones.

It doesn't sound like he needs food left out.

he doesn't watch them though. If he sees one he chases them but due to the layout of the yard he isn't always aware of the blighters.

I have an eat it or lose it policy in my house, which Miss Mini had forgotten until the other night. Her food bowl suddenly disappeared from view after she decided she didn't want her dinner right away and she was all, 'Oh ... but ...'

Guest donatella

I came in knowing the first thing would be "don't leave your food down".

I have a grazer too and I leave food down 24/7 although no magpies get mine it does eventually get eaten.

Is there some sort of food bowl designed for this? Surely there is, you wouldn't be the first.

I bet you have fat magpies :rofl:

Yeah I know but he's not a bog-in-and-eat-it-all in one go type. They're a fussy breed.

They ain't that fussy SM but they are master manipulators :laugh:

Other then picking up the food maybe give him his food in a bob-a-lot toy or something. It would entertain him and keep the food away from the birds.

Edited by Bjelkier

Yeah I know but he's not a bog-in-and-eat-it-all in one go type. They're a fussy breed.

They ain't that fussy SM but they are master manipulators :laugh:

Bloody hell aren't they just.

Do you ever get the tail-erect, eyes wide open and staring at you and relentless panting when they want a walk?

He actually guilts me into walking him. :laugh:

Mine all have me pretty well trained :laugh:

Beowulf, my youngest boy, will not go sleep at night unless I give him a cuddle before putting him in his crate. This has been tested a few times.

I really need to work on that :o