Just Doing His Job

Kirislin

I was very impressed with how alert he was. When ever I drive past I always look for him, and when I see him sometimes he's flat out, seemingly sound asleep, but the instant I stopped my car today he was watching.

yep thats how they work .Mine pick you up as soon as you slow down out the front of the house about half a kilometre from where we are and let me know to watch out .That dog has heaps of shelter - there are trees there .I give mine kennels and build lean to's for them but they never use them they go where the sheep go - from minus 6 in winter up to 45 in summer ,They dig a hole for a windbreak and even as pups given the choice they prefer the middle of a paddock to a nice warm kennel.

Yep, Mosley will lie in the yard with his eyes closed looking totally dead to the world, but the instant a sparrow farts, he's up. We always joke that he never really sleeps as he's always on guard.:)

Great pics!

The sheep don't seem to be the slightest bit concerned with the barking. I would of thought they may have taken it as a warning and moved away.

When Alfonzo is barking a visible warning our sheep tend to move towards him. They also chase after him if he takes off after a perceived threat :laugh:

The sheep don't seem to be the slightest bit concerned with the barking. I would of thought they may have taken it as a warning and moved away.

When Alfonzo is barking a visible warning our sheep tend to move towards him. They also chase after him if he takes off after a perceived threat :laugh:

Hahaha that is very cute!!

Puppy Sniffer said:

One of the maremma that is now a yard dog used to be with sheep but had a habit

of collecting stillborn lambs and looking after them and mothering them for a

few days before deciding it was a lost cause, and then eating them!

They are very protective and yes, they may try to mother lambs (important to teach them to let the sheep do it though so they don't take over!)

Eating stillborn lambs is a good thing as it means they are removing dead bodies that might attract predators. It is a very natural thing for a LGD to do.

If there were a serious threat they would know it. There is a big difference between a mild warning to keep away and an all systems go alert and they will know the difference.

For those interested in LGD behaviour, you might like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=67ObjymUif8

Edited by espinay2

Lovely set of shots. Have you thought of tracking down the owner and giving them a copy of the series? It's a beautiful set of photos that show the breed doing exactly what it was bred for.

What a great idea :thumbsup:

I swear to god, Kirislin, you take the best photos and tell the best stories. "A day in the life of Kirislin" would trump what some people do in a year.

Puppy Sniffer said:

One of the maremma that is now a yard dog used to be with sheep but had a habit

of collecting stillborn lambs and looking after them and mothering them for a

few days before deciding it was a lost cause, and then eating them!

They are very protective and yes, they may try to mother lambs (important to teach them to let the sheep do it though so they don't take over!)

Eating stillborn lambs is a good thing as it means they are removing dead bodies that might attract predators. It is a very natural thing for a LGD to do.

If there were a serious threat they would know it. There is a big difference between a mild warning to keep away and an all systems go alert and they will know the difference.

For those interested in LGD behaviour, you might like this video: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=67ObjymUif8

Interesting, we had a nest of baby birds knocked out of a tree once. We came outside to find Mosley sitting very still next to something on the ground. He let us approach but wouldn't come to us when we called. Once we got to him we realised it was a baby bird, still half alive :( He found 3 others that we hadn't even seen, doing the same thing each time, and then found a dead one, and tried to eat it, when he hadn't even touched the live ones.

Lovely set of shots. Have you thought of tracking down the owner and giving them a copy of the series? It's a beautiful set of photos that show the breed doing exactly what it was bred for.

What a great idea :thumbsup:

I swear to god, Kirislin, you take the best photos and tell the best stories. "A day in the life of Kirislin" would trump what some people do in a year.

What a lovely thing to say. I'm not sure about the pictures, or the lifestyle but I'll gladly take the compliment. :D

These really were just snapshots taken from the side of the road and a long way away. I might try for some better shots next time. I know now he'll certainly perform for the camera, although I dont want to stress or harrass him.

Can someone in the know tell me, is he a Maremma?