Has Anyone Else Noticed This?

Squidgy

Or due to the fact hat every dickhead who buys a dog thinks they should breed them to make back what they paid for it and more...

Then they sell to just anyone and pet shops.. Once the cute puppy stage is over and school holidays begin and they want to go away, the animal gets dumped...

I realise there are good breeders and ethical breeders but there are so many mum and dad BYBers out there (don't get me started on puppy farms), who really don't care who they sell to. They just want to make a buck. Then there are the idiots who truly believe that she needs to have at least one litter to e a good dog..

I recently met one such moron. His bitch (a cross bull breed) who had 2 litters in a row and killed all the pups.. He was going to breed her again because 'she won't come good until she raises a litter'... I was speechless!

You only have to look at the amount of dogs sold via Facebook now..

Could be fixed with something as simple as giving calcium between whelping each pup and then for a couple of days after..

Could be fixed by desexing his damn dog

:thumbsup:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or due to the fact hat every dickhead who buys a dog thinks they should breed them to make back what they paid for it and more...

Then they sell to just anyone and pet shops.. Once the cute puppy stage is over and school holidays begin and they want to go away, the animal gets dumped...

I realise there are good breeders and ethical breeders but there are so many mum and dad BYBers out there (don't get me started on puppy farms), who really don't care who they sell to. They just want to make a buck. Then there are the idiots who truly believe that she needs to have at least one litter to e a good dog..

I recently met one such moron. His bitch (a cross bull breed) who had 2 litters in a row and killed all the pups.. He was going to breed her again because 'she won't come good until she raises a litter'... I was speechless!

Could be fixed with something as simple as giving calcium between whelping each pup and then for a couple of days after..

No he won't desex her because she won't come good until she raises a litter... :banghead:

Hence the reason I said, there is no point trying to talk to some because they already know it all..

It is nice when you meet some and talk to them and they do listen - I have managed to convince quite a few people over the years to desex their dogs..

Sadly, you can't convince everyone.

No he won't desex her because she won't come good until she raises a litter... :banghead:

Hence the reason I said, there is no point trying to talk to some because they already know it all..

It is nice when you meet some and talk to them and they do listen - I have managed to convince quite a few people over the years to desex their dogs..

Sadly, you can't convince everyone.

Yep.......Like this husky BYB I found on a classified site, " we are not like purebred husky breeders , we do not inbreed our dogs all of our dogs come from different homes families and states"

haha.......umm whether it has papers or not its still a purebred husky so the statement is stupid. Plus they have a webpage and none of their dogs have papers so how do they know where they came from :rofl: stupidity will always exist

I am often amazed to find out the breeds people choose that are totally unsuitable for their lifestyle etc & think it has a big part of why dogs end up needing rehomed. That & the ability of pet shops n some breeders to totally ignore the fact the breed is unsuitable.

There have been a lot of Chinese Cresteds in rescue lately (well, a lot compared to hardly any in the past) as well as crestie crosses. Most come in with terrible skin that hasn't been looked after or maintained :(

Poor things :(

Remember the old days when backyard litters were advertised for free or dirt cheap? Nowadays, we slap a silly "breed" name on them, flap on about "hybrid vigour", and charge extra... *sigh*

Got me beat...

T.

Yep..for example. ' lab pups no papers $100 each " now it is " we don't inbreed our dogs" Lab puppies no papers but champion lines ( mind you they say no inbreeding lol) $900 each

I am often amazed to find out the breeds people choose that are totally unsuitable for their lifestyle etc & think it has a big part of why dogs end up needing rehomed. That & the ability of pet shops n some breeders to totally ignore the fact the breed is unsuitable.

This. Also I think somebody else has already mentioned that the Elderly often have small breeds and usually cannot take them when and if they move into a "home". I have seen a few dogs whose owners have sadly passed away and either had no other family or family couldn't/didn't want to take on the dog.

I think choosing a breed for its looks would have to be one of the biggest factors for the dog being dumped, WAY ahead of "not being able to afford" or "moving" or any other reason/excuse. A large, active breed will quickly outgrow the "cute" stage and move right on into the "I eat EVERYTHING you paid lots of money for while you are away at work" stage. Or even just "howl and bark while locked in the backyard whilst you are working" stage. Many people seem to think dogs are like purses, you buy one that you like the look of and when you are busy it will just quietly sit in the corner indefinitely....

ETA: Maybe "rare" breeds are showing up more in pounds because people use the Internet to find a pretty breed they did not previously know about as well... Would be nice if some people read the descriptions more thoroughly :p

Edited by BlackJaq

I don't know about rare breeds, but more Cavaliers are now being dumped, because more are being produced by puppy farms, and byb, and the homes are not being assessed properly .... you pay the money and you get the pup, whether it is the breed for you or not. I

Registered breeders are more likely to take the dog back, or to help rehome it, where puppy farmers, or pet shop dogs don't have that safety net.

RSPCA, and rescues are finding the above is the case.

I have no idea why people would buy a Cavalier and find it unsuitable. I can't think of an easier, more agreeable little dog, who is happy to fit in with anyone. I am always happy to sell them to first time owners because I know they will manage.

There are more and more Italian greyhounds appearing in pounds. They usually fall into 2 categories, the byb IG where the owners had no idea about the breed and found it too high maintenance, and the purebred from reg breeder IGs who were sold to homes that were unsuitable for them. Some reg breeders will sell a pup to anyone who has the cash unfortunately and these breeders do not properly screen the homes.

We had one young byb IG surrendered to us recently because she was " too affectionate" the owner wanted the dog to sleep in a basket at his feet while he watched tv, but this dog wanted to snuggle next to him. :doh:

I don't know about rare breeds, but more Cavaliers are now being dumped, because more are being produced by puppy farms, and byb, and the homes are not being assessed properly .... you pay the money and you get the pup, whether it is the breed for you or not. I

Registered breeders are more likely to take the dog back, or to help rehome it, where puppy farmers, or pet shop dogs don't have that safety net.

I have no idea why people would buy a Cavalier and find it unsuitable. I can't think of an easier, more agreeable little dog, who is happy to fit in with anyone. I am always happy to sell them to first time owners because I know they will manage.

Yes I could never see a Cav being unsuitable for anyone :(

We had one young byb IG surrendered to us recently because she was " too affectionate" the owner wanted the dog to sleep in a basket at his feet while he watched tv, but this dog wanted to snuggle next to him. :doh:

This is just amazingly insane!!!

:(

There are more and more Italian greyhounds appearing in pounds. They usually fall into 2 categories, the byb IG where the owners had no idea about the breed and found it too high maintenance, and the purebred from reg breeder IGs who were sold to homes that were unsuitable for them. Some reg breeders will sell a pup to anyone who has the cash unfortunately and these breeders do not properly screen the homes.

:cry: Poor little puppy! The only good thing he did was surrender it. When will it be going on Iggy Rescue? I just went looking for a squizz but it's not up yet.

Edited by Kirislin

But sadly believable! My friends have a GAP Greyhound that was sent back by the previous adoptive owners because

"the dog could not return their affection"....I think the poor thing barely had time to settle in.....there was never a sweeter dog. To his benefit, he's lucky he is now with my friends.

Yes I could never see a Cav being unsuitable for anyone :(

:) They are such versatile, smart little dogs..up for anything...real pleasers.

I've found that a high number of the smaller breed dogs in pounds appear to be really sweet and gentle souls - as opposed to the number of over loved and seriously not nice little ferals I see being kept and doted on... very weird!

T.