Eating Wild Rabbits

The past couple of days Reggie has been catching (and if not stopped, eating) bunnies :( I'm not quite sure where he is flushing them from, as all four dogs are confined to the house paddock.

I have taken them, well the remains of the rabbits, off him but I know he has eaten most of them.

Should I worm him?

Stop him catching them? They are a pest after all.....

My girl loves going to my parents farm and chasing the rabbits. Dad said he'd pay her $10 for every rabbit caught because they eat his vines but alas she is yet to catch one.

Turns out she just likes chasing them - she picks them up in her mouth and then lets them go so she can chase them again :rofl:

And there I was thinking I was going to make my fortune :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of breeding meat rabbits...but then they'd have to die and they'd all have names and I'd probably cry whilst I ate them.

Salt from the tears would save on seasoning, works out well really.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about cutting down the dog's regular meals, rabbit is really lean so your dog would have to be working hard to get fat on it (and if he's catching bunnies, he's probably getting a bit of exercise).

I'd definitely worm though and also keep an eye out for fleas and ticks. Rabbit fleas are gross :vomit:

Personally, I'd discourage hunting of rabbits if you have other wildlife about as they dog may not see much difference between rabbit and possum or wallaby.

Do you guys have issues with Myxo at all? I've been told eating a Myxo rabbit can make you really sick...

I also contemplated raising meat rabbits but again, myxo has really turned me off that thought, you need a veritable fortress to keep the mozzies out. I had pet rabbits before and the whole lot died (I had about ten) when one got hit by a mozzie in the play pen and they all got sick within a few days. It was horrible. I never figured out where the mozzies got in either, I had a double layer of shade cloth on everything :(

Edited by BlackJaq