How Do You Know?

Llante

Hi I just wanted to know how to tell if someone is really a 'registered breeder' or just stating they are? Is there a license number they need to hold? Someone in the state I can contact? I found an add on Gumtree but can't find any details on the breeder on here or their state club. So wondering if it is worth pursuing considering they are out of state.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks :) I only have a mobile number, so I might call and have a chat a bit more and see. From what I navigated on that website there are only 2 'reg breeders' in NSW for Beagles. So hopefully she is one of them.

Thanks :) I only have a mobile number, so I might call and have a chat a bit more and see. From what I navigated on that website there are only 2 'reg breeders' in NSW for Beagles. So hopefully she is one of them.

Actually, you'll find a lot more than that in NSW. The only breeders you will find on the actual website are those who pay for a listing. There are many more who don't.

There are more than 2 registered breeders of Beagles in NSW ring the state canine association they are in give them the name and ask they will be able to give you the information you need :)

All registered breeders do have a membership number.

Just be careful, pretty much anyone will tell you they are a registered breeder, even if they aren't ANKC registered.

Start with this list, http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/beagle.asp

Edited by minimax

Well I called and it was a strange situation, lady who answered was caring for the bitches as the owner was away. She gave me long list of bloodlines and tests etc. so I do think they are the real deal. Problem was, the last female went 10 mins before I called. If I didn't hesitate I wouldn't have missed out. A bit sad, but maybe was meant to be.

Well I called and it was a strange situation, lady who answered was caring for the bitches as the owner was away. She gave me long list of bloodlines and tests etc. so I do think they are the real deal. Problem was, the last female went 10 mins before I called. If I didn't hesitate I wouldn't have missed out. A bit sad, but maybe was meant to be.

Unless you have a chance to confirm anything they say, I'd not automtically assume they are legit.

Then again, I'm a cynic by nature. The "caring for the bitch as the owner was away" is a red flag for me!

Just be careful, pretty much anyone will tell you they are a registered breeder, even if they aren't ANKC registered.

Start with this list, http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/beagle.asp

I don't know how I missed this page in the few years I've been here. :hitself:

It's not so much the "caring for the bitch while the owner is away" that rings an alarm for me, it's that somebody ELSE is selling the puppies. As a breeder, *I* make the decisions about where my puppies go and I'd never allow another party to make those decisions on my behalf.

The breed club in your state is a good place to start. The Beagle Club of Qld has a list of members who ask to be listed here: Member Breeders

Other members may not be listed because they don't breed very often. I never used to have a listing anywhere because my parents lived with me and used to get driven mad with phone enquiries because they were home during the day while I and most other breeders were at work. As I only bred a litter every couple of years I didn't want that many enquiries.

The breeder can simply show your the current membership card or certainly give you there prefix.

There are plenty of Beagle breeders in NSW .I would imagine without looking a good choice on the breed pages on this site or contact the Beagle club of NSW

Edited by showdog

This does ring alarm bells for me, I have to say.. I have an 11 year old poodle x that we got (11 years ago) from an ad in the paper, and in hindsight all the signs of a puppy farm of very dodgy situation were there, but we didn't realise at the time. It was the same situation - the woman's "friend" was the one with the mum and this woman was just helping her while the actual owner was away. Got to the house, there was just one pup there, and we got her. She was supposedly a poodle x bichon, but there's just no way in hell..

Obviously now I wouldn't change her for the world and she's my little heart dog. But looking back, I'm sure she's from dodgy circumstances. I'm not saying that the person you called isn't the real deal, because god, how would I know. But just.. keep your wits about you and don't be fooled by a cute puppy! It takes a strong will to walk away from a cute puppy, as well all know, but make it a head decision, not a heart one :)

This does ring alarm bells for me, I have to say.. I have an 11 year old poodle x that we got (11 years ago) from an ad in the paper, and in hindsight all the signs of a puppy farm of very dodgy situation were there, but we didn't realise at the time. It was the same situation - the woman's "friend" was the one with the mum and this woman was just helping her while the actual owner was away. Got to the house, there was just one pup there, and we got her. She was supposedly a poodle x bichon, but there's just no way in hell..

Obviously now I wouldn't change her for the world and she's my little heart dog. But looking back, I'm sure she's from dodgy circumstances. I'm not saying that the person you called isn't the real deal, because god, how would I know. But just.. keep your wits about you and don't be fooled by a cute puppy! It takes a strong will to walk away from a cute puppy, as well all know, but make it a head decision, not a heart one :)

Thanks for this :) I am trying really hard to be patient! Really, really hard. I've just ordered a few smallish things to prepare. There will be a puppy in this house one day, I just have to find the right one. :flower:

The breed club in your state is a good place to start. The Beagle Club of Qld has a list of members who ask to be listed here: Member Breeders

Other members may not be listed because they don't breed very often. I never used to have a listing anywhere because my parents lived with me and used to get driven mad with phone enquiries because they were home during the day while I and most other breeders were at work. As I only bred a litter every couple of years I didn't want that many enquiries.

Thank you, some of the websites listed are not quite up to date, so I will have to call around. I somewhat have my heart set on finding a breeder before they are ready, instead of finding them right on 8 weeks and ready to go. I'd prefer to have her here as soon as I can, and also have some extra time to prepare.

Is it always like this when buying a new puppy? The anxiety, excitement, and general craziness? (In the sense I haven't been able to function properly having my nose on the ipad or computer searching, reading and planning???)

Thanks for this :) I am trying really hard to be patient! Really, really hard. I've just ordered a few smallish things to prepare. There will be a puppy in this house one day, I just have to find the right one. :flower:

And you will! Just like all the good things in life, the more you wait, the better it is in the end. In a few weeks/months, you'll having a puppy in your arms, think back to think back to this thread and go 'THANK GOD I WAITED!!! Otherwise I wouldn't have this little one!!' :thumbsup:

ETA - another suggestion is that, when you go and visit breeders, don't take money with you, unless it's for a deposit (and even then, think about it..). I purposefully DIDN'T take money when I went to visit a breeder to meet a dog I was interested in, because I knew that once I met her I'd be smitten and want to take her then and there. Which happened - I tried not to, but I fell in love. I even loved her more than her little pup, who I met!

(Thankfully my partner had brought deposit money along as a backup without telling me and we gave the deposit and took her home a few weeks later, when her pups were sold and she'd been desexed etc). But still, sometimes making things a bit harder is better in the long run.

Edited by Alkhe

And you will! Just like all the good things in life, the more you wait, the better it is in the end. In a few weeks/months, you'll having a puppy in your arms, think back to think back to this thread and go 'THANK GOD I WAITED!!! Otherwise I wouldn't have this little one!!' :thumbsup:

ETA - another suggestion is that, when you go and visit breeders, don't take money with you, unless it's for a deposit (and even then, think about it..). I purposefully DIDN'T take money when I went to visit a breeder to meet a dog I was interested in, because I knew that once I met her I'd be smitten and want to take her then and there. Which happened - I tried not to, but I fell in love. I even loved her more than her little pup, who I met!

(Thankfully my partner had brought deposit money along as a backup without telling me and we gave the deposit and took her home a few weeks later, when her pups were sold and she'd been desexed etc). But still, sometimes making things a bit harder is better in the long run.

Thanks for the boost of confidence. I have to try and get myself back in to reality for a bit today. Leave it for tomorrow.